Canelo vs Kovolev-Who You Got?

LondonRingRules

I got Canelo too, points or late stoppage but probably points. Although we've only seen Kov outpointed over the distance once before I think Canelo is a fantastic boxer, we saw this in the first GGG fight particularly and of course many other times before that.

Kov will be relieved of his title on Saturday of this I'm pretty confident.

--- With the opening 4-1 odds, betting on Canelo earns you 250 profit on $1000.

Betting on Kov = $4000..

Canelo is 1/4 not 4/1. Although you got your math correct....

The majority of the market has actually bet on Kov according to Oddschecker's pie chart. Mainly because it represents excellent value, you rarely see a fighter with such long odds in a "2-horse race."

canelo-kov-odds.jpg

How come Canelo is the number 1 ranked contender at 175lb in the WBO rankings? Are the IBF the only organisation that doesn't play silly buggers?

For the same ridiculous reason as Usyk was ranked No1 before he had even fought professionally at HW - Clenelo's moved up a weight division (or two). Them's is their rulez...

I see it as being pretty close and competitive, but Canelo's speed and reflexes will give him a victory, deserved or not, remains to be seen. Kov will likely land some good clean shots which will hurt Canelo but will be unable to follow up properly, due to his slower reflexes and size, and Canelo's defensive skills. There is a chance, I can see it, that Kov pulls off a win but then he has to either put Canelo down twice or get him out of there. It will be a cracker, I think. :boxing:

Krusher is no more, hence the Eleider Alvarez stoppage loss. He's not the destroyer that I witnessed, from ringside, all those years ago. Wealth and vodka have taken their toll. He's there for the picking, so the Hyenas are going in.

He's gotta have trained hard and get the power off early and he can win. But, Canelo is likely to take over after the midway point.

*****SPOILER***

Did I say spoiler?

I mean SPOILER!

Canelo KO Kov 2:15 11th rd. LHook froze Kov and Straight Rt finished him .

Took a while for the fighters to warm up to each other style, but Canelo show a pressuring style to push Kov back. You could say the fight turned in the 4th when Kov landed his signature flush rt that spells the end, but Canelo wasn't budged. Before I had Kov ahead, but after it was Canelo.

The size differential was immense. Canelo must have huge bone density to be so close in wt.

Well just now catching up on the fights because i attended the UFC card last night. No regrets.

Surprised by the quick finish by Garcia vs Duno. What a good shot, and a good stoppage. Duno was done.

I thought Canelo would win, but like most thought he would hurt him to the body. I just felt Kovalev would gas out badly towards the end. I have Kovalev up by 6-4 after 10.

Oh HELL YEAH!!!!

Took me ALL day to finally sit down and watch this but managed to avoid the result until I did and I'm sure glad I did. I had it level entering the 11th but felt Canelo needed to step on the gas as Kovalev didn't look too uncomfortable given the time left in the contest, thought Kov was boxing well but Canelo had a solid round 10. Having said that I didn't see the end coming in the next round at all, the size difference was noticeable and I thought Kovalev was OK eating the shots when he had to but there was a big left hand that got things going, legs were gone and the right hand got it done in style.

And NEW!! Best in the world BAR NONE, argument finished.

Watched Garcia DESTROY Duno as well, very impressed with the performance there, he boxed beautifully whilst it lasted though the ref was letting him use his arm as a stick, something the ref quickly and rightly jumped on in the first round of the main event when Kovalev was trying to use it too but Garcia did a great job handling the business.

Evan Holyfield's debut was disappointing, not for him, he did what he had to do but the stoppage was ridiculous and deprived him and us of seeing what else he could do.

Anyone watch Linardatou get relieved of her title in Manchester? She was visibly disgusted when the scores were read out indicating a unanimous decision win for the challenger. I don't want to seem as if I'm always on Taylor's a55, especially when it isn't her fault but I've witnessed her getting the rub of the green 3 times now in the United Kingdom and if I remember rightly she was either the challenger or in a unification fight each time. I had it level myself but Linardatou clearly thought she did enough.

And the last fight I watched this weekend was for the WBC 130lb championship, fun fight, Sosa has a helluva chin and a massive heart but Berchelt is still the man, let's get a unification next though!!

Sergey Kovalev does a 2 1/2 triple gainor off the high board.

Wow, I wonder how much they paid him under the table? Anyone who thinks he was actually trying to beat Clenelo must be new to the sport.

What a massive dissapointment, and totally shit fight, until the last round.

I suspect the plan was to just coast & let Clenelo win via decision, but then the Gingican got lucky and capitalized on an opeining.

- And before you claim Kovalev is just getting old, answer this: Why did Clenelo, facing the biggest puncher he'd ever faced, not use his amazingly good head slips? I mean, not once.

Why, he almost fought like a man who was told there was no chance he'd be hit hard.

:whistle:

--- Kov is an excellent boxer of you have to be reminded. He put Elieder down multi x before getting careless. In the rematch he was pure boxer though he did score 1 KD in a 100% class decision.

Why waste energy trying to Ko the impossible?

The strategy was to box Canelo without opening up his defense, and did an excellent job. Canelo meant to stay low and pressure, and to that end Canelo's worked better. Canelo employs several strategies dependent on the boxer, and Kov the biggest most powerful fighter he ever faced.

Clearly he used 2 different strategies in Ggg1 and two. I would also remind you of the flush Rt Kov landed in the 4th, a guaranteed Ko over all but Canelo. Had he won, he'd be the biggest name in boxing and triple his fight income.

Only thing throwed here is your incessant conspiracy taking another count.

- . I would also remind you of the flush Rt Kov landed in the 4th, a guaranteed Ko over all but Canelo. Had he won, he'd be the biggest name in boxing and triple his fight income. .

What flush right in the 4th?

I just watched round 4 twice, slightly slowed down. This is almost the entirety of Sergey's "big" oments: (quotes definitely needed.)

2:23 Kovalev threw a right hand, directly into Canelo’s arm. Cenelo didn’t duck, Kovalev simply aimed at a non-lethal target.

2:21: Kovalev does it again, this time aiming so far behind the proper target, he actually partally his Canelo’s back. - And Had he actually aimed at Canelo’s head, Canelo would not have been able to land the powerful left hook counter.

2:20 Kovalev throws a rt straight down the middle, with Canelo’s gloves up high over his head. - Kovalev aimed for the bottom of the gloves, where if he had penetrated would have hit Canelo clean on the chin. - And yet Kovalev pulled the punch, literally stopping at Canelo’s wrists.

- And once again, Canelo, the fighter with perhaps the best head slips in the sport today, didn’t even bother to move his head.

1:31 Kovalev throws a fake flurry: First he launches an uppercut, but literally pulls it short, so it bounced off Canelo’s gloves. - The range was perfect, Canelo (again) didn’t bother to move his head, Canelo is inhigh earmuffs defense, and STILL Kovalev threw almost a foot short.

Are you kidding me?

And the flurry continues! Sergey then throws a meaningless left into Canelo’s arm, and follows with a weak, half-speed right hand that lands in-between Canelo’s glove and shoulder.

1:28 Just after the above ridiculous flurry, Kovalev throws possibly the slowest hook ever thrown in the sport of boxing. - And right onto Canelo’s glove. What exactly was the point of THAT punch? It’s not like Kovalev followed it up, so it wasn’t a feint. Maybe there was dirt on Canelo’s glove, and Sergey was graciously cleaning it off?

1:07 Kovelev throws 2 jabs in a row, but again, they were so weak that they hit flush & Canelo didn’t even blink. And again, Canelo with the super-high guard, in no position to counter.

0:44 Kovalev throws a three “punch” combination: The first two were WAY short, then the final right once again was launched right at Canelo’s shoulder, with Canelo again a completely stationary target.

THIS IS SO FRIGGING OBVIOUS.

———————------------------------------------------------

And fer chissakes: You think team Kovalev’s plan was to play it safe & go for a points win, in a fight they knew they had ZERO chance of winning on the cards? Really? Against a fighter who almost certainly does NOT have the same 1-punch power as Sergey? Really?

And explain all the clinching Kovalev did, when he wasn’t hurt at all?

And again, explain why Canelo literally didn’t use any, for the entire fight?