Caleb Plant: The next RJJ?

Cableaddict

Lots of talk now about Benavidez possibly facing Plant next.

Plant is one of those guys you just sort of forget about from time to time, but then you remember, "hey, isn't that the guy I REALLY liked?"

Well yes, he sure is. I just rewatched a few of his fights, plus his highlight reel. Jeez, this guy isn't just supremely skilled, he literally resembles a prime RJJ, the way he just toys with his opponents, and has fun in the ring. Granted, Roy was able to do that against many of the monsters of his time, whereas Plant has yet to be seriously challenged, but it looks like he could be the next Roy.

At a minimum, he's hella' fun to watch.

I think Benavidez, as good as his natural gifts might be, had better get his shit together fast.

----------------------

Tell me I'm wrong. :wave:

Prime Roy was number 1 P4P.

I agree, Plant is one you forget about and then are pleased when you remember that he's in the mix at 168 but Smith and Benavidez are the main guys. I need to see some unification fights sooner rather than later, 4 champions is too many.

I don't see the athleticism, power or natural talent in Plant that Roy possessed in his day though I'm afraid to say though maybe I should checkout that highlight reel you been watching :haha:.

Prime Roy was number 1 P4P.

Here we go again - posters carelessly tossing the 'P4P' hat around the ring.

I'm a massive, massive RJJ fan - even my email address contains the moniker - but when do you consider RJJ was at his prime and P4P worthy?

When he lost 3 in a row to Tarver/Johnson (yes Glen Johnson)/Tarver ?

When he lost to Calslappy ??? With only the early KD saving him from a 12 round whitewash.

When he lost another 3 in a row to Danny Green/Popkorns/Lebedev ?

Or when Enzo-fucking-Maccarinelli KO'd him in 4 rounds ?

Or when the Hall post-fight drug test showed Roid Jones jr had tested positive for androstenedione (incidentally Hall did too but that doesn't make it right)

Back to the topic: Plant could well be the next RJJ - cos he's similarly very average.

Benavidez is soft-bodied, carries a lot of water and has manboobs. His handspeed has virtually halved since his last fight and although still young, is no prospect in my books unless he shapes up and mans up.

Benavidez is soft-bodied, carries a lot of water and has manboobs. His handspeed has virtually halved since his last fight and although still young, is no prospect in my books unless he shapes up and mans up.

On this we can agree.

WTF has happened to the brilliant prospect of even just a year ago? It has nothing to do with facing better opposition, he just looks bad. Soft, lethargic, sloppy...

Something is definitely not right in the Benavidez camp. Or in Bena's head.

Or both.

-------------

But how you can call Plant everage, well I have to say something may not be right in YOUR head, my brother! :wave:

Only time will tell, but right now the guy looks great to me.

Edited by Cableaddict

Here we go again - posters carelessly tossing the 'P4P' hat around the ring.

I'm a massive, massive RJJ fan - even my email address contains the moniker - but when do you consider RJJ was at his prime and P4P worthy?

When he lost to Calslappy ??? With only the early KD saving him from a 12 round whitewash.

When he lost another 3 in a row to Danny Green/Popkorns/Lebedev ?

Or when the Hall post-fight drug test showed Roid Jones jr had tested positive for androstenedione (incidentally Hall did too but that doesn't make it right)

Probably when he took care of James Toney but before that at 160 he beat Hopkins and after Toney he captured the undisputed Light-Heavyweight crown. The first time he fought Tarver he beat him (officially lol), beat Ruiz and then dropped back down and went on too long but there can't be any real dispute over whether or not RJJ was the king for a period in between SRL and FMJ, if you discount the DQ he was 48 or 49-0 when he lost to The Magic Man, that's better than Calzaghe's record but he had solid names on his resume and fought the best when they were the best, Toney was the man when they fought and got handled comfortably, Benn and Eubank both ducked Toney, they didn't want it. I'm surprised I'm having to make the case for Roy, at 168 and 175 he was the guy, the greatest super-middleweight ever to lace them up and the good thing is we don't have to speculate on how he would have done at 168, 175 or even 201 because he showed us that he was P4P king by gliding through the weight classes and taking care of business.

If he wasn't P4P king when I say he was then who was?

• Like 1

Personally, I hate the whole "P4P" thing, anyway. IMO that's just some bullshit for commentators to sling to the casuals.

What I do know is, no fighter ever took my breath away like prime Roy Jones Jr. The man was literally from another planet.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

During the 90s Jones was untouchable. He went in with top drawer fights over 3 weight divisions and was barely challenged. Top quality fighters like Toney, Hopkins, Johnson and Hill could hardly touch him.

I'll repeat:

Just remind me again when Roid Jones Jr was all that...

When he lost another 3 in a row to Danny Green/Hopkins/Lebedev ?

You conveniently forget it was 1-1 with Hopkins.

You've clearly forgotten this was all past the age of 34 and indeed in his 40s for 4 of those losses. Does that mean Sugar Ray Robinson was overrated because he lost a load of fights in his 40s. He clearly lost something on the move back down from HW. Also if you look really hard you'll see me specify the 90s.
  • Like 1