Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caleb Plant: The next RJJ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Caleb Plant: The next RJJ?

    Lots of talk now about Benavidez possibly facing Plant next.

    Plant is one of those guys you just sort of forget about from time to time, but then you remember, "hey, isn't that the guy I REALLY liked?"

    Well yes, he sure is. I just rewatched a few of his fights, plus his highlight reel. Jeez, this guy isn't just supremely skilled, he literally resembles a prime RJJ, the way he just toys with his opponents, and has fun in the ring. Granted, Roy was able to do that against many of the monsters of his time, whereas Plant has yet to be seriously challenged, but it looks like he could be the next Roy.

    At a minimum, he's hella' fun to watch.

    I think Benavidez, as good as his natural gifts might be, had better get his shit together fast.

    ----------------------

    Tell me I'm wrong.

  • #2
    He's fighting Vincent Feigenbutz next. Easy to toy with lower level competition.

    Comment


    • #3
      Prime Roy was number 1 P4P.

      I agree, Plant is one you forget about and then are pleased when you remember that he's in the mix at 168 but Smith and Benavidez are the main guys. I need to see some unification fights sooner rather than later, 4 champions is too many.

      I don't see the athleticism, power or natural talent in Plant that Roy possessed in his day though I'm afraid to say though maybe I should checkout that highlight reel you been watching .

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Undefeated View Post
        Prime Roy was number 1 P4P.

        Here we go again - posters carelessly tossing the 'P4P' hat around the ring.

        I'm a massive, massive RJJ fan - even my email address contains the moniker - but when do you consider RJJ was at his prime and P4P worthy?

        When he lost 3 in a row to Tarver/Johnson (yes Glen Johnson)/Tarver ?

        When he lost to Calslappy ??? With only the early KD saving him from a 12 round whitewash.

        When he lost another 3 in a row to Danny Green/Popkorns/Lebedev ?

        Or when Enzo-fucking-Maccarinelli KO'd him in 4 rounds ?

        Or when the Hall post-fight drug test showed Roid Jones jr had tested positive for androstenedione (incidentally Hall did too but that doesn't make it right)

        .......................

        Back to the topic: Plant could well be the next RJJ - cos he's similarly very average.

        ...........................

        Benavidez is soft-bodied, carries a lot of water and has manboobs. His handspeed has virtually halved since his last fight and although still young, is no prospect in my books unless he shapes up and mans up.

        Comment


        • #5
          --- Roy thought to be the best ever after beating Ruiz and had been talking retirement, but instead sat out near a year before returning back to LH where he looked off .

          Unraveling after a long career no shame. Sure you can fin the annual Ring rankings for his peak years.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by selij View Post


            Benavidez is soft-bodied, carries a lot of water and has manboobs. His handspeed has virtually halved since his last fight and although still young, is no prospect in my books unless he shapes up and mans up.
            On this we can agree.

            WTF has happened to the brilliant prospect of even just a year ago? It has nothing to do with facing better opposition, he just looks bad. Soft, lethargic, sloppy...
            Something is definitely not right in the Benavidez camp. Or in Bena's head.
            Or both.
            -------------

            But how you can call Plant everage, well I have to say something may not be right in YOUR head, my brother!
            Only time will tell, but right now the guy looks great to me.
            Last edited by Cableaddict; 10-02-2019, 02:35 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by selij View Post

              Here we go again - posters carelessly tossing the 'P4P' hat around the ring.

              I'm a massive, massive RJJ fan - even my email address contains the moniker - but when do you consider RJJ was at his prime and P4P worthy?

              When he lost 3 in a row to Tarver/Johnson (yes Glen Johnson)/Tarver ?

              When he lost to Calslappy ??? With only the early KD saving him from a 12 round whitewash.

              When he lost another 3 in a row to Danny Green/Popkorns/Lebedev ?

              Or when Enzo-fucking-Maccarinelli KO'd him in 4 rounds ?

              Or when the Hall post-fight drug test showed Roid Jones jr had tested positive for androstenedione (incidentally Hall did too but that doesn't make it right)

              .......................
              Probably when he took care of James Toney but before that at 160 he beat Hopkins and after Toney he captured the undisputed Light-Heavyweight crown. The first time he fought Tarver he beat him (officially lol), beat Ruiz and then dropped back down and went on too long but there can't be any real dispute over whether or not RJJ was the king for a period in between SRL and FMJ, if you discount the DQ he was 48 or 49-0 when he lost to The Magic Man, that's better than Calzaghe's record but he had solid names on his resume and fought the best when they were the best, Toney was the man when they fought and got handled comfortably, Benn and Eubank both ducked Toney, they didn't want it. I'm surprised I'm having to make the case for Roy, at 168 and 175 he was the guy, the greatest super-middleweight ever to lace them up and the good thing is we don't have to speculate on how he would have done at 168, 175 or even 201 because he showed us that he was P4P king by gliding through the weight classes and taking care of business.

              If he wasn't P4P king when I say he was then who was?

              Comment


              • #8
                Personally, I hate the whole "P4P" thing, anyway. IMO that's just some bullshit for commentators to sling to the casuals.

                What I do know is, no fighter ever took my breath away like prime Roy Jones Jr. The man was literally from another planet.
                Last edited by Cableaddict; 10-02-2019, 04:30 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  As I've already stated I love him to bits too. 'RJJ' is in my email addy! But the sound-bite 'P4P' really is utter bollocks and just for the casuals. No one - especially on here - applies the strict definition.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Caleb has some skill but RJJ in his prime....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                      Caleb has some skill but RJJ in his prime....

                      Hey, I didn't say he was there YET.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        - -Doesn't Plant have some troubling personal issues that have limited him thus far?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Plant is looking good due to the level of competition IMO

                          RE Benavidez looking listless and lacking energy...wonder if that's something to do with getting off the Colombian

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
                            - -Doesn't Plant have some troubling personal issues that have limited him thus far?
                            Short Plant docu by FOX - 'Portrait of a Fighter' - watch online or download. Single left click the hyperlink.

                            https://yadi.sk/i/EdBoSHjr4nUJ_w

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by selij View Post

                              Short Plant docu by FOX - 'Portrait of a Fighter' - watch online or download. Single left click the hyperlink.

                              https://yadi.sk/i/EdBoSHjr4nUJ_w


                              Thankyou, my brother !!

                              - It's a bit heavy on the emotional stuff, light on facts, but still a good watch.
                              Last edited by Cableaddict; 10-11-2019, 01:31 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X