What do you make of Rob McCracken comments?

The_budweiser

For those who don't know he said he knew Anthony Joshua had concusion after round 3 of the Ruiz fight but he send his fighter back out again and again until he was knocked out.

Since then he has tried to explain or back track on his comments a little by saying:

"I am not a doctor and it may be that concussed is not the right term to have used"

"The health of all the boxers I work with is of paramount importance to me and I have always used my judgement and experience to do what is right for them.

"There is no formal concussion protocol where the doctor steps in to assess the boxer so you have to use your experience as a coach and your knowledge of the person to make a decision on whether you think they can recover.

"I have had this a number of times in my career in professional boxing where boxers have recovered from a difficult round to go on and win the fight. I have also pulled boxers out of fights because I knew it was not in their interests to continue.

"So I knew he was concussed and I'm trying to get him through a few more rounds, one round at a time, and see where he's at.

"He was glazy-eyed from when he got caught with the initial shot in the third round and he carried that with him until the end [in the seventh round]... he wasn't responding how he should.

"I've worked with him for nine years and I knew he wasn't quite where he needed to be. He was asking me why he was feeling this way and stuff."

I'm no expert but surely

1) The doctor should of been aware or made aware of this straight away to judge the fighters health and safety and monitor his condition.

2) Surely during a coaches licening they are given training on this and a protocol to follow?

--- Questioned the lack of team presence in the aftermath.

Josh got dinged. Happens to every great or small fighter. Are we to declare a KO every time a fighter goes down or is slumped?

No, but surely if you suspect they have actual concussion that's dangerous, rather than just needing a minute or two to get their bearings? It may be the same thing medically speaking, I'm not sure.

Well you get 60 seconds to assess and decide whether or not your fighter is concussed before the next round begins, the trainer isn't a medical expert and so the fighter needs to speak up if there's a problem so that his trainer doesn't have to guess. But we know the fighter is trained to get on with it and not to make excuses so this puts the onus back on the trainer who is outside of the ring.

I thought the comments were "I knew my fighter was concussed BEFORE the first bell and I sent him in anyway". If it's "he was concussed after a punch in the 3rd" well then if we need to blame someone (and I'm not sure we do) shouldn't it be the man 6 inches away from the fighters for 3 of the 4 minutes per round? Why does the referee escape criticism?

I don't have a problem with the comments from McCracken since I don't think he can actually make a diagnosis in 60 seconds when he's also trying to give instructions for the next round, that's the referee's job and if he thinks something may be wrong he should call time and get the doctor over.