10/12-Usyk vs Tyrone Spong

LondonRingRules

--- Bit odd this as Spong a credentialed former Kickboxer currently ranked 69th on boxrec, but he's undefeated with a 95% KO rate , so more dangerous than most heavies who cannot be taken lightly.

Usyk is carrying a rehabilitating biceps injury, so maybe not predisposed for his heavy debut against a top 20.

https://www.ringtv.com/576186-press-release-aleksandr-usyk-to-make-heavyweight-debut-against-tyrone-spong-on-october-12/

• Like 2

Oh goodness sake, Hearn said he was fighting Briggs and I couldn't tell that he was winding us up so I took him at his word, anyway this'll do, never seen this Spong chap before but will be well up to speed by Oct 12. On another note I heard Brook is back with Ingle too, know anything about that? What was the point in leaving for 1 fight?

.... never seen this Spong chap before but will be well up to speed by Oct 12. ...........

I like Spong a LOT, though his short reach makes him not the best oponent for getting Usyk used to HW.

Here's whatI have on him, in my database:

---------------------------------------------

6’'2””" but only a 74” reach.

Former MMA champion.

Has been training with Pedro Diaz (Solis, Rigo, Cotto…) since 2014, before he even turned pro.

Very good fundamentals & balance. Fast hands, though his jab needs work. AGGRESSIVE AS HELL!

Good defensive movement (of course, due to Pedro) but not amazing. Still, better than AJ or Wilder.

Spong is a little basic, but he attacks like prime Mike Tyson (without the amazing defense.) A fan-friendly fighter if ever there was one, and the kind of guy with a true "puncher's chance" against ANY opponent.

Early on in his career he was leaning in too much, but by his March 2016 bout with Gogishvili, he looked MUCH more balanced.

Feb 2018: Spong plowed right through Nascimento. Not a major scalp by any means, but Spong did look vicious & powerful, as always.

Spong is only 11-0, but he's already 32 years old, & ONLY FOUGHT ONCE IN 2018 !!!!

Sadly, he's signed to a couple of guys that may not have much juice in the business.

​​​​​​​

• Like 1

--- Here's his boxrec placement within the pack of his immediate peers, many well recognized by those keeping up with heavywts.

Solid enough to be granted what amounts to a lottery title shot against one of today's most acclaimed boxers, so well done team Spong:

Playing The Bugle Call of Fat Andy in the background-

https://boxrec.com/en/ratings?division=Heavyweight&sex=M&offset=50

• Like 1

I can't say "well done, team Spong."

IMO, this is a disastrous move on their part. They're probably just so desperate to get their man into the spotlight, that they've taking this obscenely ill-advised opportunity by the horns.

Spong has incredible potential, but he needs to be brougt along very carefully. How is feeding him to Usyk going to help his career, unless he manages to land a KO blow. (And I give him maybe a 10% chance of doing that.)