Who do you rate as the best boxer in the world just now and why?

The_budweiser

Boxrec Listings Top 10 lb 4 lb list

1. Canelo Alvarez

2. Terence Crawford

3. Gennady Golovkin

4. Errol Spence Jr

5. Vasil Lomachenko

6. Oleksandr Usyk

7. Miguel Berchelt

8. Callum Smith

9. Leo Santa Cruz

10. Manny Pacquiao

Outside the list Kovalev, Porter, Joshua, Garcia, Wilder, Davis, Valdez to name a few..

Who do you rate as the best boxer in the world just now and why?

Close call between Ginger and Bud, very close. With Bud's contract less than a year to go looks interesting as to what direction he will take and with PBC set to not recognize the WBO - this puts the cats right among the pigeons.

ESJ aint busy enough, GGG is long, long spent, Loma is swerving anyone with a pulse - could be magnificent, but wont unify. Usyk hasnt even had a fight at HW.

Terence Crawford still sits top of my P4P list but that's partly down to the fact I haven't looked at the list since I last put it together. He needs to fight someone, the fact that television and promoters are hindering his progress isn't reason enough to sustain him at top spot indefinetely.

Anyway, he's there because he is undfeated, was undisputed at 140, is world champion at 147 and I believe him to be the number 1 welterweight in the world too but as I said, he'll need to prove it so if that means leaving TR then so be it. Legacy is on the line here.

Based on apparent talent, I have to go with Loma.

Based on proven track record, I have to go with Bud.

Usyk a close second, but it would be nice to see him fight at HW first.

Canelo? Please. Floyd made him look clueless, and he clearly lost the first Golovkin fight.

For me, it's Lomachenko. Won three world titles (in three weight divisions) faster than anyone else in history. Plus in only 14 wins, he has already beaten Gary Russell jr, Linares, Martinez, Pedraza, Walters and Rigondeaux and he totally dominates top class opponents, without hardly taking a punch. Lastly, surely he has the best amateur record in history, and it will probably never be surpassed. I know the amateurs are different, but I mentioned it, just to help emphasize, just how good he surely is as a boxer. Edited by chaconfan

Bud's question is 'best boxer'.

A lot of people yet again confusing their 'fave boxer' with P4P. No way can Inoue can be identified as P4P champ.

My Fave Boxer = P4P champ = X (Sorry no it doesn't). Respect the literal definition of P4P.

The boxrec top 5 is more or less there or thereabouts, with Loma at 5 but 6-10 are absolutely ridiculous. Save for Pacroid, who surely should figure in some sort of an 'all-time' P4P list - not never current - as his PED use is plainly obvious, but has never been proven (yet). Samples are still stored.

The same people who 18mth-2yr ago had Mikey as their 'no1 P4P' still do not respect EJS. And have now switched allegiance to Inoue and Loma !

Bud's question is 'best boxer'.

A lot of people yet again confusing their 'fave boxer' with P4P. No way can Inoue can be identified as P4P champ.

My Fave Boxer = P4P champ = X (Sorry no it doesn't). Respect the literal definition of P4P.

What do you mean? No one said he was P4P king, Boz has him at no.3 and Cable and I agree that he's in the conversation when drawing up a top 5. Do you mean he shouldn't be top5 or top 10 or he shouldn't be number 1? If it's the latter then we all agree with you but there's simply no justification for saying that today GGG is number 3 (as per the boxrec list) yet Inoue isn't top5, that simply cannot be

I like Berchelt, I really do and I hope he gets to fight Tank Davis before he moves to 135. If not, then he will only rule the division, even better for him. But that would be a great fight. I like the way he just overpowers his opponent and attacks incessantly. He's very gifted, physically. He just narrowly misses my list.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean? No one said he was P4P king, Boz has him at no.3 and Cable and I agree that he's in the conversation when drawing up a top 5. Do you mean he shouldn't be top5 or top 10 or he shouldn't be number 1?

I think he probably meant Lomachenko, though he's pretty dismissive of the lower weight classes so is unlikely to give serious plaudits to Inoue and the like.

Edited by gavpowell
  • Like 1

What do you mean? No one said he was P4P king, Boz has him at no.3 and Cable and I agree that he's in the conversation when drawing up a top 5. Do you mean he shouldn't be top5 or top 10 or he shouldn't be number 1? If it's the latter then we all agree with you but there's simply no justification for saying that today GGG is number 3 (as per the boxrec list) yet Inoue isn't top5, that simply cannot be

Yep. I think Sel was just a bit over his head with that comment there. Sorry Selboy, you were. ;-) Inoue is genuine p4p material. And top 5 p4p material even. Maybe you ought to give him a chance.

Maybe you ought to give him a chance.

Its nothing at all to do with 'giving him a chance'. If the correct definition of P4P is actually being discussed then Inoue is nowhere near the top. He may be your fave fighter or someone else's, but it has jack to do with the true/strict definition of P4P.

Its Bud's 'fault' for starting the original thread with the question 'Who do you rate as the best boxer in the world just now and why?' and then trying to qualify it with a P4P list. And as usual with type of discussion no one's read the OP's question and dived in at the deep end head first.

Boz, if you or Undefeated, or anyone else rates Inoue 'as the best boxer in the world' then that's your opinion and, to which you are entitled, but it doesn't qualify him as a top P4P boxer - by the true definition - which no one ever understands or applies on this boxing forum for some reason.

Its nothing at all to do with 'giving him a chance'. If the correct definition of P4P is actually being discussed then Inoue is nowhere near the top. He may be your fave fighter or someone else's, but it has jack to do with the true/strict definition of P4P.

Its Bud's 'fault' for starting the original thread with the question 'Who do you rate as the best boxer in the world just now and why?' and then trying to qualify it with a P4P list. And as usual with type of discussion no one's read the OP's question and dived in at the deep end head first.

Boz, if you or Undefeated, or anyone else rates Inoue 'as the best boxer in the world' then that's your opinion and, to which you are entitled, but it doesn't qualify him as a top P4P boxer - by the true definition - which no one ever understands or applies on this boxing forum for some reason.

The guy destroyed Narvaez-DESTROYED, a guy who hadn't lost a fight in like...ten years and he had only lost one. In 2 rounds. He destroyed, DESTROYED, Jamie McDonnell in 1 round. Nobody has lasted longer than 6 rounds with him since he became a bantam. And idiotic boxrec doesn't even rank him among the 17 best p4p! I didn't say he is the BEST IN THE WORLD, that would mean I rank him at nr.1. I didn't, did I? But he's close to that, damn close.

The guy destroyed Narvaez-DESTROYED, a guy who hadn't lost a fight in like...ten years and he had only lost one. In 2 rounds. He destroyed, DESTROYED, Jamie McDonnell in 1 round. Nobody has lasted longer than 6 rounds with him since he became a bantam. And idiotic boxrec doesn't even rank him among the 17 best p4p! I didn't say he is the BEST IN THE WORLD, that would mean I rank him at nr.1. I didn't, did I? But he's close to that, damn close.

Boxrec ratings aren't worth looking at, how can a computer produced a P4P list, when you see GGG at #3 today then you know the list is garbage. I suppose the question is, does P4P king = best boxer in the world? It can't, can it? Roy Jones Jr was never the best boxer in the world in my view but there wasn't any question as to whether or not he was P4P king. So what question were we answering earlier? It was only the P4P list we were addressing, not the question of who the best boxer in the world was, I personally couldn't say who is the best boxer in the world, is it Loma, is it Fury, is it Spence Jr? Spence Jr and Fury aren't in my top 5 P4P list but look what Spence Jr did to Mikey, that was a boxing masterclass.

But when the conversation is about who's P4P top 10, Naoya Inoue can't be overlooked in my view and in a list that contains Spence Jr and GGG, the absence of Inoue in that same list doesn't make any sense to me whatsover.

Boxrec ratings aren't worth looking at, how can a computer produced a P4P list, when you see GGG at #3 today then you know the list is garbage. I suppose the question is, does P4P king = best boxer in the world? It can't, can it? Roy Jones Jr was never the best boxer in the world in my view but there wasn't any question as to whether or not he was P4P king. So what question were we answering earlier? It was only the P4P list we were addressing, not the question of who the best boxer in the world was, I personally couldn't say who is the best boxer in the world, is it Loma, is it Fury, is it Spence Jr? Spence Jr and Fury aren't in my top 5 P4P list but look what Spence Jr did to Mikey, that was a boxing masterclass.

But when the conversation is about who's P4P top 10, Naoya Inoue can't be overlooked in my view and in a list that contains Spence Jr and GGG, the absence of Inoue in that same list doesn't make any sense to me whatsover.

Lol, no-definitely not! That's my view on it. :lol:

• Like 1

It makes complete sense! Because even though Boz's claims of destroying other boxers I'll say it again and again. This has absolutely jack shit to do with the definition of P4P.

The true definition of P4P is: if the weight class is ignored; would Boxer A beat Boxer B by his skillset. Therefore, by definition Inoue does not beat Crawford, Spence Jr, GGG, Loma, Porter, Clenelo, Jamall, Wilder, Pacroid plus maybe another 20 I could name.

Agreed, Boxrec muddy the waters as usual, by applying extra criteria to their P4P definition. Such as rounds boxed, star rated fights and lord knows what else.

It makes complete sense! Because even though Boz's claims of destroying other boxers I'll say it again and again. This has absolutely jack shit to do with the definition of P4P.

The true definition of P4P is: if the weight class is ignored; would Boxer A beat Boxer B by his skillset. Therefore, by definition Inoue does not beat Crawford, Spence Jr, GGG, Loma, Porter, Clenelo, Jamall, Wilder, Pacroid plus maybe another 20 I could name.

Agreed, Boxrec muddy the waters as usual, by applying extra criteria to their P4P definition. Such as rounds boxed, star rated fights and lord knows what else.

All I have to say to that is: WHY??!? And also: :boxing29: Lol, just kidding. :mlol:

• Like 1