Herbie Hide Pleads Guilty to Drug Charges

gavpowell

Re: Herbie Hide Pleads Guilty to Drug Charges

Changing his plea will not help his cause. He will lose any sentencing discount for not pleading guilty "at the earliest opportunity". Definite custodial sentence. Prob 1.5 - 2yrs.

His boxing career is definitely over. Messed it right up at the end, was a No.1 contender and some how didn't take a shot - strange.
No doubt his career is over mate, but I always find it quite sad that someone who has pushed so hard throughout his career can turn to this shit and piss all over what he has strived for!!

Changing his plea will not help his cause. He will lose any sentencing discount for not pleading guilty "at the earliest opportunity". Definite custodial sentence. Prob 1.5 - 2yrs.

Bang on by the looks of it - just googled for an update and the Daily Mail is reporting he's been told to expect "up to two years."

How good was Hide and how much money is he likely to have made during his career? His record suggests a typical Warren WBO champ fighting poor-quality opposition while reigning as a paper champion, but is that unfair?

Reading up on him, he seems to have had a few run-ins with the law- 35k libel judgement against him from Warren, several grand in parking fines. On top of that, he seems to have a decent-sized house and able to make trips to Nigeria, so did he do well out of boxing?

Bang on by the looks of it - just googled for an update and the Daily Mail is reporting he's been told to expect "up to two years."

How good was Hide and how much money is he likely to have made during his career? His record suggests a typical Warren WBO champ fighting poor-quality opposition while reigning as a paper champion, but is that unfair?

Reading up on him, he seems to have had a few run-ins with the law- 35k libel judgement against him from Warren, several grand in parking fines. On top of that, he seems to have a decent-sized house and able to make trips to Nigeria, so did he do well out of boxing?

Herbie was a serviceable, caretaker Champ, simply keeping the belt warm until someone better came along. I know some would argue, but I think your assessment about right.

The first thing that comes to my mind with Herbie is always the Bowe fight when the Ref asked Hide "Do you know where you are?" and he goes, "Yeah, fighting F***ing Riddick Bowe". :mlol: