Toe-to-Toe: Haye v Jones

In picture 1 we have David Haye's toe from the Wladimir Klitschko fight. The toe that "excused" Haye for his dull as dishwater performance. In picture 2 we have UFC fighter Jon Jones' broken toe from his fight with Chael Sonnen. Just something to think about ;)

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53826000/jpg/_53826282_toe.jpg

http://www.joe.ie/uploads/s/37/141/Jones%20toe.jpg

Re: Toe-to-Toe: Haye v Jones

In picture 1 we have David Haye's toe from the Wladimir Klitschko fight. The toe that "excused" Haye for his dull as dishwater performance. In picture 2 we have UFC fighter Jon Jones' broken toe from his fight with Chael Sonnen. Just something to think about ;)

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53826000/jpg/_53826282_toe.jpg

http://www.joe.ie/uploads/s/37/141/Jones%20toe.jpg

Good example, Scott. Jones toe is pretty gruesome, and Kudos to him for winning inspite of it. I'm still wondering about Haye's ineffectiveness, NFL running backs encounter what they call Turf Toe all the time (as a result of banging their toe on Astro-turf) especially on their little toe, and they maintain the ability to "push off" and hit the holes in the defensive line, that he couldn't effectively punch remains one of the biggest loads of crap I ever heard a boxer try to sell to the public.

Good example, Scott. Jones toe is pretty gruesome, and Kudos to him for winning inspite of it. I'm still wondering about Haye's ineffectiveness, NFL running backs encounter what they call Turf Toe all the time (as a result of banging their toe on Astro-turf) especially on their little toe, and they maintain the ability to "push off" and hit the holes in the defensive line, that he couldn't effectively punch remains one of the biggest loads of crap I ever heard a boxer try to sell to the public.

---- Dave, on a scale of hurt and lack of mobility, the big toe has it by a long shot. I'm talking a little toe injury may be painful in the moment, but no concern regarding athletic performance. Usual treatment is wrapping it before taping it to the the 4th toe, problem solved unless you're protecting your P4P foot stomping belt.

I believe it's the big toe responsible for most NFL running back injuries along with ankles.

Jon Jones is the real deal talent wise, and now proves it tough and grit wise as well. UFC top three guys, Jones, Silva and GSTPierre are easily a P4P match for any of boxing's top fighters. Quite a contrast in their offensive arsenals compared to Floydy popcorn these days. He was going for a knockout against Guerrero like Olive Oyl goes for a knockout on Wimpy, ludicrous.......

---- Dave, on a scale of hurt and lack of mobility, the big toe has it by a long shot. I'm talking a little toe injury may be painful in the moment, but no concern regarding athletic performance. Usual treatment is wrapping it before taping it to the the 4th toe, problem solved unless you're protecting your P4P foot stomping belt.

I believe it's the big toe responsible for most NFL running back injuries along with ankles.

Jon Jones is the real deal talent wise, and now proves it tough and grit wise as well. UFC top three guys, Jones, Silva and GSTPierre are easily a P4P match for any of boxing's top fighters. Quite a contrast in their offensive arsenals compared to Floydy popcorn these days. He was going for a knockout against Guerrero like Olive Oyl goes for a knockout on Wimpy, ludicrous.......

Agreed, the pinky toe is the least valuable appendage there is, a simple taping to the fourth toe all but eliminates the problem. Haye was REALLY reaching and deserved the questioning of his heart/effort. Imagine Carmen Basilio pointing to his small toe as an excuse for poor effort, I don't think so :violin:

Agreed, the pinky toe is the least valuable appendage there is, a simple taping to the fourth toe all but eliminates the problem. Haye was REALLY reaching and deserved the questioning of his heart/effort. Imagine Carmen Basilio pointing to his small toe as an excuse for poor effort, I don't think so :violin:

Dave, you must have no feeling, in your toes, or the pain resistance of superman. I am sure everyone has stubbed their little toe and been in absolute agony. I have never experienced the same feeling from stubbing the big toe.

On a side note - topics involving MMA should be posted in the female section of the forum. ;)

Dave, you must have no feeling, in your toes, or the pain resistance of superman. I am sure everyone has stubbed their little toe and been in absolute agony. I have never experienced the same feeling from stubbing the big toe.

On a side note - topics involving MMA should be posted in the female section of the forum. ;)

LOL, okay, you got me when it comes to stubbing your toe, but when it comes to breaking one, trust me, it's a lot easier to compensate for the smaller one.

:thumb: Old guy was as tough as they came. Sigh...wish there were more boxers like him out there today.

Imagine Vitali Klitschko quitting with a shoulder injury, instead of fighting on like Audley Harrison once did or Danny Williams did - unthinkable. :)

Rob-

I always wrote the Byrd fight off to Vitali having an Amateur philosophy and not fully realizing the damage from a loss to a Pro career. He sat there talking to Larry Merchant after the fight longer than it would've taken to last out the final nine minutes and still win a decision, and let's face it, light-hitting Chris could've punched Vitali with his hands down for the full nine and it would've never caused steel-chinned Vitali any problems. His Am thinking was to take a loss and he'd be back in the Ring in another week or so, it was no big deal to take an "L". Learning that lesson was probably part of why he fought the Lennox stoppage as much as he did.

Imagine Carmen Basilio having to apologise for poor effort!

Good point. Even into his Eighties, you never heard Carmen bring up his eye when he talked about the second Robinson fight, other than to say he missed blocking the punch that caused it. Stripping off his shoe and flashing his damaged little piggy to anyone that would listen moments after the decision was announced probably wouldn't have crossed his mind :laugh: Hey, I'll give Haye some credit that it's hard enough to fight Wlad Klitshcko with 10 good toes but take your loss like a man, nobodies buying that you were incapacitated THAT much. Larry Holmes won the HW title from Ken Norton with torn right bicep, when you fight the big fight then you overcome adversity. If it was THAT big a deal to you, why were you in the Ring......and don't say because the K2's would've never gone for a cancellation, you know Wlad would've waited for you.

f it was THAT big a deal to you, why were you in the Ring......and don't say because the K2's would've never gone for a cancellation, you know Wlad would've waited for you.

This was a man who needed only a ring and a referee who could count to 10...

• 3 months later...

Post Tony Tucker fight, Kevin Rooney takes off Tyson's boxing boots and blood pours out of it. They check Tyson's foot. Transpires Tyson's nail on his big toe peeled all the way back from around, was still hanging on, but peeled right back from around rd 2.

Post Tony Tucker fight, Kevin Rooney takes off Tyson's boxing boots and blood pours out of it. They check Tyson's foot. Transpires Tyson's nail on his big toe peeled all the way back from around, was still hanging on, but peeled right back from around rd 2.

When he wanted to be, Mike Tyson could be a warrior.

When he wanted to be, Mike Tyson could be a warrior.

He was definitely trying to prove his whiskers in rd 6 of the 1st Ruddock fight. After getting tagged pretty well, he smiles at Razor, taps his chin, and they go toe to toe again.

Always enjoyed the rematch too-Tyson displayed a good range of his arsenal, especially his body attack.