Decision time for Motherwell boxer Barry Morrison

The_budweiser

MOTHERWELL boxer Barry Morrison faces an agonising decision over his future after losing his British light-welterweight title fight to Lenny Daws on Friday.

The 29-year-old looked exhausted as he sank to his knees in the 10th round at Bethnal Green, giving Daws a win by technical knock-out.

Morrison will sit down with top promoter Tommy Gilmour in the next few days to discuss his future, and the St Andrew’s Sporting Club supremo says he will back the decision either way.

But Gilmour admitted he’s concerned about Morrison’s health after watching him go down.

He said: “First of all I was very disappointed for Barry. I will have a sit down with him and see where we go from here, and we just need to wait and see.

“I’m not going to tell you what I will say to Barry, but as usual I will be honest with him and point out everything ‘for’ and ‘against’.

“Ultimately it will be Barry’s decision and it’s his career – I just make the opportunities.

“I will support him regardless of whatever decision he makes. I will always support him.

“He is a special fighter who has been good for boxing, but it’s hard to see what will come up for him.

“There won’t be a title fight for some time, for example, unless there is a last-minute pull-out – and if things don’t work out elsewhere then Paul McCloskey, Steve Williams and lots of other fighters might be after that belt before Barry has another chance.

“Once you’re a champion you only need to make a mandatory fight every six months, and Lenny Daws waited two-and-a-half years for his rematch with Barry.

“Barry could be in his 30s by then and he has to ask himself if he’s willing to go in for a title by then.”

On the fight, Gilmour said: “It was disappointing but if it’s not to be, it’s not to be.

“That was the best I’ve ever seen Barry for the first six rounds, but he started to tire after the seventh round and in the 10th every ounce of strength went.

“He was like a light going on and off.

“Barry had been training for a title fight, he’s easily gone 12 rounds before, and I don’t know why that happened. There might be an underlying problem; I’m not qualified to say that, but it has never happened before and is of great concern to us.”

http://www.hamiltonadvertiser.co.uk/hamilton-lanarkshire-sport/other-sport/2009/09/24/decision-time-for-motherwell-boxer-barry-morrison-51525-24764723/