R.I.P. Bert Cooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Bert Cooper

--- Long time contender and then gatekeeper before the punching bag stage, Bert Cooper passed Friday of pancreatic cancer at age 53. He debuted in 1984 with his last bout in 2012.

Not a big guy, nonetheless he was an unrepentant slugger in very fan friendly style. Record here:

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/1596

Re: R.I.P. Bert Cooper

RIP boxing brother.

Comment

RIP- Bert Cooper

Comment

He was good offensively but sadly for him had no defense and no plan B. R.I.P. Smokin' Bert.

Comment

I loved watching him fight. He entertained at Cruiserweight then Heavyweight. He had a chin, the skills and the power. He came out of Philadelphia and was originally trained by the Legend Joe Frazier. He fought some of the best around and took part in some wild fights (The Michael Moorer fight is one of the best in Heavyweight history). He should've got a World title-shot at Cruiserweight but turned to Heavyweight. Never won the HW belt but gave Holyfield hell. Not always the most focused but he could fight. His resume is packed - wins and loses. He's well known for smashing undefeated Willie DeWitt, bare-knuckle boxer Joe Savage and Richie Melito. Beat quality like Joe Hipp and Orlin Norris. At Cruiser, he was the NABF champ taking Henry Tillman's '0'. His final record was 38-25, 31 KOs. Rest in Peace, Champ.

Comment

He had really long arms for his height. Without that, he'd have bigger problems. Being that he was only 5'11 at a time when heavies were already getting bigger.

Comment

--- Here's his epic vs Ray Mercer. Whoooey Mama, wouldn't have wanted to be either one of them that night!

Comment

Bert could fight.

Comment

Working...
                X