Joe Joyce faces Former World Champion then signs for F Warren

The_budweiser

Poxon Sports and PBC are delighted to announce that heavyweight sensation Joe Joyce will defend his Commonwealth title in the biggest test of his unbeaten career when he takes a gigantic leap up to confront the Former WBC World Champion Bermane Stiverne on Saturday 23rd February at The O2, exclusively live on ITV Box Office.

Joyce vs. Stiverne, promoted by Poxon Sports in association with Ringstar Sports and Don King Productions, will feature alongside the return of Former IBF World Featherweight Champion Lee Selby as one of the chief-supporting contests on an action-packed show, headlined with the thrilling all-British clash between fierce rivals James DeGale and Chris Eubank Jr.

A look at potential and current stadium fights in UK - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Edited by WSMFC64

Re: Joe Joyce faces Former World Champion

--- Stiverne being a gigantic leap a bit fanciful given his inactivity and poor results in between.

If power is the default last attribute to go in an aging fighter, I guess he has a punchers chance, but I'd suggest Joyce vet his water bottles well come FightNite give DKing involved.

For or the Commonwealth? Didnt know Stiverne was British!

I give Stiverne a good chance here, basically because think Joyce has huge holes in his technique.

Joyce is calm & patient, aggressive when needed, and has a surprisingly good gas tank.

- But his punch technique is embarrassing. He throws his right cross like a girl, pushing it with no twist or support, and half of his shots are wide, looping affairs. This leaves him wide open to a fast counter down the center, and Stiverne is nothing if not a fast counter puncher when inside.

Besides those looping punches, Joyce likes to go to the body, which will also bring him into Stiverne's comfortable range. And Joyce doesn't have a very good jab, so it will be harder to keep distance if Stiverne somehow decides to drive forward. (Joyce does have good footwork, though, so he may be OK.)

This is boxing, so most likely Stiverne will be paid to go easy / lay down, but if not, an "upset" wouldn't surprise me.

Unless of course we see an improvement from Joyce, which is certainly possible.

Edited by Cableaddict

Ive read 3 different reports now. Boxrec says its a 10 round heavyweight bout. Espn 12 rounds. Daily Mirror and other UK redtops saying Commonwealth Title defence. But Stiverne was born in Haiti and resides in the USA so unless we've re-colonised N.America I cant see how it can be a Commonwealth defence.

That said, should be a good test for Joyce but one I expect him to win.

Ive read 3 different reports now. Boxrec says its a 10 round heavyweight bout. Espn 12 rounds. Daily Mirror and other UK redtops saying Commonwealth Title defence. But Stiverne was born in Haiti and resides in the USA so unless we've re-colonised N.America I cant see how it can be a Commonwealth defence.

That said, should be a good test for Joyce but one I expect him to win.

Joyce's people are probably trying to make it a 12 rounder, and so need some silly title attached. This would obviously give him a big advantage.

• 2 months later...