Bryant Jennings vs Oscar Rivas

pittbox

It looks like a very good match-up, but it's not talked about much. Rivas hasn't fought anyone worth of note as a pro, but is undefeated and has a good amateur background. Jennings is still tricky and experienced fighter, even though he's hardly mentioned among top contenders anymore. Who's your favorite? Edited by LondonRingRules

Re: Bryant Jennings vs Oscar Rivas

It will be interesting to see where Rivas' head is at.

He has a very short reach, so he HAS to be aggressive, or nothing will happen. Earlier in his career, that was indeed the case, he was a lot of fun to watch as he would attack and drive forward all night, although with a fairly limited defense.

But after his eye problem, he seems to now be overly cautious. He looked almost disinterested against Hubeaux last year.

Well, at least his defense looked a little better. Credit to trainer Mark Ramsey for that.

I didn't see the Maldonado fight, but you know, Fabio WHO? He appears to have been just another Brazilian / Argentinian factory-produced "designated loser with a nice padded record." I think they have factories down there that pump these guys out by the hundreds, every year. The fact that Rivas only beat this unknown 38 year old by decision probably says a lot. The fact that his people only put him in the ring against this type of fighter says even more.

If Rivas is will to stand on it, as he did in the old days but with his improved defense, I think he should outclass Jennings.

- but Jennings has a huge reach advantage, and of course MUCH more high-level experience. He should easily withstand anything but a 100% effort from Rivas.

Great fight.

Edited by Cableaddict

Not really exciting fight until the last round. Lot of rounds looked very hard to score with little action. I think that Jennnings was controlling the action and I had him ahead 106-103 after 11 rounds. One judge had it the same way, but the other two had Rivas ahead 106-103 and 105-104. It's stunning how Rivas put Jennings away with literally his first surge in the fight.

--- It's ye olde sucker strategy used unsuccessfully on Tyson vs Bonecrusher who survived for 12 rds by holding Mike incessantly. In the 12th he landed his first punch that caught Tyson off guard. He quickly recovered to blast away at the now exposed Smith.

Puritty used it successfully against 21 yr old Wlad who had spent 10 rds giving him a beating of a lifetime. In Wlad's case, that was his 12th fight that year and he had no business in a 12 rounder against such a brute as Puritty. His team were amateurs with no pro background and should have advised him to fight defensively instead of going for incessant KOs on such an brutal schedule.

Rivas knew he couldn't outbox Jennings, so he posed a threat enough to keep Jennings off him until he caught him by surprise in the 12th. New blood for the heavies is good. Nobody has been touting Jennings of late, but he could still make some money as a gatekeeper.

Tyny little brave ref stepping in the middle of action of two brutes...

Jennings-Rivas.jpg?w=600&ssl=1

Edited by LondonRingRules

Odd. We got to see laconic Rivas, and aggressive madman Rivas, both in the same fight.

Well, he defense looks even more solid, so that's good. But again, where's his head at? He could easily have given the fight away, depending on the judges.

Personally, I had Rivas a few rounds ahead, but I could see it legit going the other way as well.

And when the ref is willing to give your opponent an 18-count, well, better get the job done early, next time.

I'm still not sold on Rivas, but at least he's (once in a while) still exciting to watch. Rivas-Wilder would be a nail biter.

It was a close fight, I wasn't scoring but thought Rivas was behind going into the final round. His animated corner seemed to think so too. Two of the judges had him in front.

Jennings is decent but always thought he was a bit fragile mentally. But, he's been on a run.

Rivas, seemingly, was plodding to defeat and then Bryant fell apart. I wasn't expecting that! Jumped out of my chair cheering - been following Kaboom for a while and great to see him get this type of win.

Rivas footwork will let him down, in the end, but in with the right style, he could do a lot of damage. Fights with Chisora, Miller or Takam would be fun.