7 members have voted

1. 1. 2018 Boxing Roundup and End of Year Polls

• Whyte vs Parker
    • Canelo vs GGG II
    • Wilder vs Fury
    • Warrington vs Frampton
    • Bellew vs Haye II
    • Porter vs Garcia

Hi all, hope you all had a good winter holiday now let's get back to business.

2018 was a solid year for the sport, we saw Canelo inflict the first career defeat on GGG, Fury go to the US and put in an effort against the undefeated and hard-hitting Deontay Wilder that many thought was worthy of the victory. We saw Oleksandr Usyk claim supremacy at 200lbs by first lifiting the inaugrual Muhammad Ali trophy and then stopping WBC champion emeritus Tony Bellew in the UK. Dereck Chisora pulled the rabbit out of the hat in the 8th round against Carlos Takam despite having lost every round prior. We've also had some sad news in our beloved sport this year with the premature death of former 3X world champion Markus Beyer, HoF trainer Enzo Calzaghe and Brendan Ingle, former linear and WBC Super-Middleweight champ Adonis Stevenson continues to battle for a return to good health in hospital following his KO defeat to Oleksandr Gvozdyk a couple of weeks ago (sorry if I didn't mention everyone).

I did ask how to create a poll (and if the function was even working) but the responses were not encouraging and so I'll just ask some questions and then I will aim to create a new thread on or around Dec 31st summing up the results so please dive in with your responses. The ideas I've given are just off the top of my head but feel free to jog your memory using whatever means you need to.

A) Fight of the year? (Ideas: Whyte vs Parker, Warrington vs Frampton, Canelo vs GGG II)

B) Fighter of the year? (Ideas: Canelo, Usyk, Fury)

C) Event of the year? (so best card top to bottom)

D) Upset of the year? (Ideas: Bryant vs Murata, Burnett vs Donaire, Warrington vs Frampton)

E) Robbery of the year? (Ideas: Charlo vs Harrison, Charlo vs Korobov, Wilder vs Fury)

F) Trainer of the year? (Ideas: Abel Sanchez, Ben Davison, Dave Coldwell)

G) Promoter of the year? (Ideas: Matchroom Sports, Golden Boy Promotions, Sauerland Events)

H) And finally your P4P top ten please

Thanks for taking part.

Re: 2018 Boxing Roundup and End of Year Polls

You can usually add a poll when posting a thread. In additional options there is a tick box under post a poll. You can change the default number of options from 4 up to 30.

If you've already posted a thread without a poll, you can still add one using the thread tools option in your first post. You can update the number of poll options, enter a number of days for the poll to be active, allow multiple choice and the option to make votes public so everyone can see who voted for what.

Thanks. I never saw one before since I joined so thought it wasn't available, too bad I can only post one per thread though. Thinking now maybe I should have used all your answers to create a shortlist in each cat and then do the polls? Ah well we'll see how this goes, maybe next year I'll do it better

--- A poll is only good for limited selections.

We used to do top tens and best of the year categories, but someone has to agree to count the member selections and assemble them in a cognizant format. Guess we're a bunch of lazy good for nothing's these days.

I'll look at your request and come up with my answers no matter how flawed they may be. Gotta check egos at the door to participate!

FOTY - Tough one, but I have to go with Wilder - Ortiz. (was that REALLY this year? ! )

Not only did it contain some excellent back & forth action, but it finally established Wilder as a legit champion (for a brief moment in time, at least) and proved that he had a serious chin, as well. It even elevated Ortiz' reputation.

FOTY runners up:

Frampton - Warrington

Usyk - Briedas.

Sausedo - Zappavigna

Carlos Canizales - Bin Lu

Whyte - Chisora, even though I usually dislike skill-less, rock 'em sock 'em fights.

===============================

KO of the year: A Tie:

Ohara Davies - Kamanga

Whyte - Chisora

(I'm sure I'm forgetting some other good ones.)

Upset OTY runners up:

Alvarez - Kovalev

Ronnie Clarke over Zelfa. Damn good fight, also.

Robbery OTY runners up:

Mairis Briedis “UD’s” Noel Mikaelian,

Charlo - Harrison, of course.

#################################################

————————— New Categories ! ————————————

Sweet Revenge of the year:

Jose Uzcategui vs Andre Direll.

COTY: (former prospect who has best established himself as CONTENDER of the year.)

Ivan Baranchyk.

JCRFD-OTY :

(Best Imitation of Jesus Christ Rising from the Dead, of the year)

AKA "Best Micky O'Neil moment of the year"

Tyson "Harder than a coffin nail" Fury, of course.

Edited by Cableaddict

Prospect of the year ?????????

After I posted I realised I forgot this one. So I'll answer you instead.

It's gotta be The Big Cheese, it was a toss up between him and Stevenson but I see more of the Brit and his wins over Jones and Byfield this year let's me know that he's on his way to the top although competition at world level is quite stiff at the moment I'm excited to see his progression and development in 2019, I think he can go all the way, hopefully we'll see him get past Anthony Fowler next year too.

KO of the year: A Tie:

Ohara Davies - Josh Leather

Whyte - Chisora

(I'm sure I'm forgetting some other good ones.)

Good shout, I'm gonna have to go Whyte vs Browne though, that was one brutal finish, I thought Browne was dead, stunning KO victory, it's no coincidence we're both talking about Whyte this year though, that left hook has come on leaps and bounds since he rocked AJ with it, today that may well put him away.

--- To supplement the basic end of the year cogitations, here are the Ring selections.

Ring magazine year-end awards 2018: All nominees revealed for all categories - The Ring

Nice one. Suprised to see Fury nominated for fighter of the year, I know I suggested him in my shortlist but I didn't think any organisations would, I can think of another more deserving if its only limited to 5 nominees

--- This is what I've worked out thus far. More to come...

A) Fight of the year?

Canelo vs GGG II)--two p4pers going at it mano a mano don't get no better.

B) Fighter of the year?

Canelo--Screwed by Vegas crooks last year, he came back with a vengeance that landed him the highest paid contract in athletic history.

C) Event of the year?

I'd say upending the whole landscape of boxing with the announcement of DAZN is one helluva an underrated event given it's projected success. I only pay attention to specific fights as otherwise, I'd have no time for anything else.

D) Upset of the year?

Big Tyson--brought in weak as a kitten to be propped up as Uncle Al and Deyonce's staked out goat, he tossed a boatload of monkey wrenches in the works.

E) Robbery of the year?

I'll think about it, but sadly early year fights tend to get lost in the memory banks of immediacy. So many big and little robberies would wear me out if I gave much thought to them.

F) Trainer of the year?

Chepo & Eddy Reynoso--done stellar work with Canelo and are getting new talent like Ryan Garcia who is very promising and young.

G) Promoter of the year?

Arum--Uncle Bob keeps up with the kids at 85 and keeps one hell of a stable. Going head to head against DAZN with ESPN1 or whatever it's called.

H) And finally your P4P top ten

This the Boxrec top 5 with the points included, so there is a clear top two and 3-5 grouping. Ring is the same as I recall, only with Usyk over Golovkin. I'd go with the boxrec top 3 and swap Usyk for Golovkin for #4 as he did one helluva a job this year in establishing himself as elite. I'll get back with my bottom 5, but Mikey is definitely gonna be #6.

*** This only makes sense had I posted my boxrec list-

Net result for me is

1 Canelo

2 Crawford

3 Loma

4 Usyk

5 Golovkin

Edited by LondonRingRules

B) Fighter of the year?[/b]

Canelo--Screwed by Vegas crooks last year, he came back with a vengeance that landed him the highest paid contract in athletic history.

At LAST! I found someone who agrees that Canelo beat GGG twice :hug:

I took PLENTY of stick when I revealed my scorecard for that fight last year, 116-112 for me, that's actually a point wider than I had it for him in the rematch too.

At LAST! I found someone who agrees that Canelo beat GGG twice :hug:

I took PLENTY of stick when I revealed my scorecard for that fight last year, 116-112 for me, that's actually a point wider than I had it for him in the rematch too.

Prepare for more stick on 2019.

Because, wow ......

:laugh:

Edited by Cableaddict

--- OK, here's the boxrec top 15 with points. I dicker with the efficacy of their system that is constantly being tweaked in their shifting sands, but in general it's the most unbiased of any poll known to boxing. I'm passing on Robbery of the year as they were all pretty plain vanilla, but no doubt someone will think of the most outrageous one.

*** But first my 6-10 to be added to my top 5 P4P

6 Mikey

7. Callum Smith

8 Joshua

9 Oleksandr Gvozdyk

10 Manny

*** Boxrec top 15:

1 Saul Alvarez 1,089

middleweight 28 51 1 2

orthodox Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

2 Terence Crawford* 1,067

welterweight 31 34 0 0

southpaw Omaha, Nebraska, USA

3 Vasiliy Lomachenko* 847

lightweight 30 12 1 0

southpaw Oxnard, California, USA

4 Gennady Golovkin 844

middleweight 36 38 1 1

orthodox Los Angeles, California, USA

5 Oleksandr Usyk 844

cruiserweight 31 16 0 0

southpaw Kiev, Ukraine

6 Luis Nery 818

bantamweight 24 28 0 0

southpaw Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico

7 Wisaksil Wangek 779

super flyweight 32 47 4 1

southpaw Si Sa Ket, Thailand

8 Miguel Berchelt 740

super featherweight 27 35 1 0

orthodox Merida, Yucatán, Mexico

9 Leo Santa Cruz* 690

featherweight 30 35 1 1

orthodox Rosemead, California, USA

10 Anthony Joshua* 669

heavyweight 29 22 0 0

orthodox Watford, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

11 Callum Smith 659

super middleweight 28 25 0 0

orthodox Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom

12 Eleider Alvarez* 626

light heavyweight 34 24 0 0

orthodox Montreal, Quebec, Canada

13 Mikey Garcia* 606

lightweight 31 39 0 0

orthodox Moreno Valley, California, USA

14 Manny Pacquiao* 583

welterweight 40 60 7 2

southpaw General Santos City, Cotabato del Sur, Philippines

15 Oleksandr Gvozdyk 577

Jermall Charlo should certainly be in that top-15 list. He beat two extremely credible opponents in Hugo and Matvey, and in a new weight class, no less.

-------------------

Manny? He fought only ONCE in 2018, and only beat an aging / clearly past it Lucas. Top 15? Gimme a break.

Golovkin at #4? Waaa ? He beat Vanes, woopdee-doo, and then (need I really mention this?) He LOST to Canelo. Lost, as in DIDN'T WIN.

I love me some Callum Smith, and Groves was a great win, but his only other bout was against, wait I can't even remember that guy's name. (And neither can anyone else.)

Same goes for quite a few other fighters on that list.

Edited by Cableaddict

--- WARNING!!!!!!

This will be a SPOILER!!!!!!

Ring just published their best awards for 2018!!!!!

Link will be well below here \/

Aleksandr Usyk named Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year 2018, all category winners revealed - The Ring

!!!!

Here are my own picks

Fight of the Year Canelo vs GGG II

The most highly anticpitaed rematch of the year lived up to expectations with some great toe to toe action, after the failed drugs test and his subsequent withdrawal from the contest previously scheduled for Cinco de Mayo weekend forced by a six month ban, coming into the rescheduled September showdown Canelo was not only a slight underdog but he would have felt the whole world wanted him to lose, partly because most fans thought he lost the first time and was given a gift but also because many fans rejected his excuse for the failed drug test and believed that Canelo had tried to gain an unfair advantage. For Canelo to put all of that to the back of his mind and take the fight to GGG showed real character, you would have been forgiven if you'd expected a capitulation similar to when he faced Mayweather but the Mexican showed us how far he's come and how much he wanted it. He redeemed himself in the eyes of many that night but it takes two to tango and GGG didn't come to lose, a close fight it was and GGG certainly brought the action, what a fight and what a night of boxing.

Fighter of the Year Dillian Whyte

With wins over Parker, Chisora and Browne this year dropping each one of them during the contest. Also, he risked his WBC #1 ranking when others fighters wouldn't have by taking these dangerous fights in the interim rather than knock over jobs whilst he waits it out. For me this was an easy pick.

Event of the Year Whyte vs Parker

Probably the best set of fights on one card I watched this year, undercard included Chisora vs Takam, Webb vs Allen and Benn vs Paynaud II, I was dying to see that rematch, the first fight was an action-packed slugfest over 6 rounds with Benn getting the nod by a single point. Main event wasn't bad either.

Upset of the Year? Selby vs Warrington

I just couldn't see it at the time, I expected a wide UD win for Selby.

Robbery of the Year? Charlo vs Harrison

Sorry but even if I wanted to I couldn't make a scorecard to reflect a Harrison win, I saw a one-sided contest, 9-3 for Charlo, I'm STILL disgusted.

Trainer of the Year? Anatoly Lomachenko

My heart wanted to pick Davison but if we're looking at achievements and results this year, does anyone else come close to taking it? I don't think so.

Promoter of the Year? Sauerland Events

Despite the problems with broadcasting, funding and logistics, delivering the WBSS from start to finish in the Cruiserweight and Super-Middleweight divisions and creating a unified world champion in the process far exceeds any other boxing events put on by anyone else this year (at least in my view). Sad to hear that midway through the current tournaments due to be concluded next year there's a risk the tournaments will be halted due to financial difficulty.

P4P top ten

1. Terence Crawford

2. Oleksandr Usyk

3. Vasyl Lomachenko

4. Saul Alvarez

5. Mikey Garcia

6. Gennady Golovkin

7. Srisaket Sor Rungvisai

8. Naoya Inoue

9. Anthony Joshua

10.Manny Pacquiao

--- Nor would I argue with any of your picks, plenty to choose from this year, but as to upset of the year...

This is at least a top contender, literally an undefeated Mexican road sweeper brought in for mainstream boxing's anointing of the undefeated Dogboe as the shiny new bling and boxing. Poor Dogboe must have spent too much time reading his accolades instead of girding himself. Navarette mauled him pretty badly and gotta laugh at the listed 5-7 too! Guy's at least 6-0, huge for the banty division.

Let's see it guys...don't be shy now!

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/602423

--- A poll is only good for limited selections.

We used to do top tens and best of the year categories, but someone has to agree to count the member selections and assemble them in a cognizant format. Guess we're a bunch of lazy good for nothing's these days.

I'll look at your request and come up with my answers no matter how flawed they may be. Gotta check egos at the door to participate!

Used to do a Hall of Fame.

I think I destroyed this topic with my last post ;/. Am I only one who can't access page 3?

No, I can't access it either anymore using my default browser. Have had to switch to IE to gain access. Bad news, what have you done??? :lol: