Stevenson vs Gvozdyk

selij

Oleksandr Gvozdyk, who at 15 (12) - 0 and with one fight this year under his belt - a decision against Mehdi Amar - is going to take Stevenson's belt off of him on Saturday which he has held since 2013. So sayeth the bookies. They are rarely wrong, but are they wrong on this one ?

Oddschecker

Edited by LondonRingRules

Re: Stevenson vs Gvozdyk

This fight is properly being overlooked, but I also see a passing of the torch here as well. Aging Stevenson will succumb, and follow Kovalev as a former dominant male, chased off by the younger guys from Eastern Europe.

There's a lack of betting markets for this one, which is annoying as I wanted to double up on the Wilder/Fury fight and back Gvoz to get the stopppage. Only market available by all bookies seem to be win-draw-win.

FYI - Wilder by stoppage + Under 9.5 rounds + Gvoz to win = 6/1. Value in the market for me :thumb:

Yes I think a little parlay is called for to make a few quid. A weight -drained Horn wont have it all his (2/9) own way imo either vs Mundane Mundine...there are a few opportunities for a change this week.

Yes I think a little parlay is called for to make a few quid. A weight -drained Horn wont have it all his (2/9) own way imo either vs Mundane Mundine...there are a few opportunities for a change this week.

I just noticed this fight is happening tomorrow. Odd catch weight and Horn the big favourite there. Not heard much of Mundine for a few years though, and surely he would be more weight drained no? Since he's now 43, plus Horn a campaigner at lower weights. I don't fancy that one tbh! :haha:

EDIT** Missed the 3 off the ages reference!! Fucking 43!!

I'm really surprised to see Gvozdyk is favourite. I know he has the amateur pedigree, decent power, youth and some solid wins, but he's fighting on the road against a champion with crushing power who, whilst he's slowed down a bit, isn't exactly on the precipice. A lot will depend on how much the Jack fight has taken out of Stevenson and I fully expect the fight to be competitive. I give Gvozdyk a decent chance to dethrone Stevenson but I still wouldn't consider him favourite. Agree with others that it's a really good fight that is being unfortunately overshadowed this weekend.

Unless Gvozdyk is not all that he seems to be at the moment, he should win and by a late stoppage most likely. A stoppage, anyway.

I want to say the same, but i still have his last performance fresh in my mind. I talked him up so much to a friend, then went to see him in person, only to be underwhelmed by his fight against Amar. Hmm.

The more I think on this fight, the more I think Stevenson will take Gvozdkk out.

DespiteGvozdkk's many stunning qualities, (and they are crazy good) he has some flaws:

He has "OK" head slips, but not much defensive footwork. Mehdi Amar was landing an awful lot of flush punches. Good thing for Oleksandr that Amar has no power.

Gvozdyk also has a 1-dimensional offense, always trying to punch through his opponents’ gloves. He never uses angles, and never goes to the body. He just beats up his opponents with power and high output. Granted, being able to switch stances & maintain power is a nice trick, but he's still 1-dimensional as a southy.

These are NOT the kind of flaws you can have against Stevenson. You can't make any mistakes against him.

i think this fight comes down to whomever lands first, and Stevenson has much better defense, so .....

Horn vs Mundine spoiler!!!!!!!

Oh eck Sel, hope you didn't bet big here! Mundine iced inside a round! :haha:

I want to say the same, but i still have his last performance fresh in my mind. I talked him up so much to a friend, then went to see him in person, only to be underwhelmed by his fight against Amar. Hmm.

Must have been his off night...hope so. Stevenson is old, out with him! :ranger: Bye bye Haitian Pimp! :haha: Btw, Amar is a tough fighter, he only got stopped once because of an injury against Nadjib Mohamedi.

Great fight.

Thrilled with the result, even though I predicted it wrong. (Hey, I'm used to it. :haha: )

I think the big difference was Gvozdk's defense and lateral movement, which have REALLY improved. His offense was still painfully one-dimensonal, but because he was able to avoid so many of the rapist's punches, he gave himself time to finally break through Stevenson's own defense.

Makes me think that Gvozdyk - Beterbiev will likely go the same way. Maybe even Bivol, though Bivol has a slight reach AND speed advantage.

I have to assume that Freddy Roach had something to do with this, even though Roach isn't normally thought of as a defense-minded trainer.

It might be time for Kovalev to retire.

Long live the king ......

Fun fight, but holy shit so much incompetence when it comes to the ref and the judges.

Referee Michael Griffin misses a knockdown by both fighters during the contest, and 2 of the judges had Stevenson up on their card at the time of the stoppage. How?

Fun fight, but holy shit so much incompetence when it comes to the ref and the judges.

Referee Michael Griffin misses a knockdown by both fighters during the contest, and 2 of the judges had Stevenson up on their card at the time of the stoppage. How?

Wow.

Maybe they were impressed by Stevenson hurting Gvozdyk's hands with his face.