Callum Smith avoiding Ramirez, Uzcategui, and Benavidez.

Cableaddict

And who can blame him?

I'm a big Smith fan, but this is ridiculous:

“We’re after the big guns – [saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez], Andre Ward is the preferred one, we’d love to get him out of retirement,” Smith’s trainer Joe Gallagher said this afternoon in Manchester.“Gennady Golovkin is another one. Badou Jack, Adonis Stevenson…”

Eddie Hearn, Smith’s promoter, revealed contact had been made with Golovkin’s team for a potential fight, while Ward, out of action since he retired last year, has often hinted about making a return to the ring.

“I want to test myself against the best to see how good I really am,” Smith said. “I believe the future is bright. There are big names in my division or around my division.

“I have unfinished business at super-middle before I move to 175lbs.”

-------------------------

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/boxing-news-at-five-crolla-says-lomachenko-fight-has-good-chance-of-happening-smith-targets-ward-and-golovkin-haye-rates-bellews-power/

Could a re-match with Rocky Fielding be far off?

Edited by Cableaddict

Re: Callum Smith avoiding Ramirez, Uzcategui, and Benavidez.

I don't see the issue here, the names being touted are much tougher fights than those you listed :noidea:

However, reference that video of Hearn talking about Whyte vs Chisora in the relevant thread. Simply change the names to those they are targetting.

How many people on the streets of Liverpool will have heard of Ramirez, Uzcategui, and Benavidez? 1 maybe 2 out of 20, if you happened to stop actual boxing fans that's is.

Now do the same but who has heard of Alvarez or Golovkin and you might get 5-10 out of 20 people, probably general sports fan types.

These are the fights that sell and thats all Hearn gives a shit about.

--- Newly crowned WBSS winner calling out top names in boxing is ducking everyone else?

Hmmmm, Fight A pays millions and Fight B pays peanuts, so oh crystal ball, pray tell me who I maul next?

:laugh: Exactly. Cable, you're way off there. Why should he fight those weaker fighters first instead of the best? Maybe it would be smarter, but this guy doesn't care about that, he wanna prove he is the man. :boxing: Anyway, Uzcategui has like one really good victory and that is over a guy who has always had issues with heart and motivation. I don't see him doing enough to be a mandatory to Smith. Ramirez is boring, so that would just be a bad matchup, two tall guys wrestling and trying to outfight one another. As for Benavidez...didn't he recently test positive to something?

“We’re after the big guns – [saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez], Andre Ward is the preferred one, we’d love to get him out of retirement,” Smith’s trainer Joe Gallagher said this afternoon in Manchester.“Gennady Golovkin is another one. Badou Jack, Adonis Stevenson…”

Thats the clue - Manchester ..................UK home of the finest

drugabuse_shutterstock-217852807-cocaine-on-table-rolled-bill.jpg

:laugh: Exactly. Cable, you're way off there. Why should he fight those weaker fighters first instead of the best?

Why is he looking to a lower division, instead of fighting the best in, you know, his own bloody division?

Ward, Stevenson and Jack are not lower division.

Ward is retired.

Stevenson & Jack are in a higher division, so he can go for a cash grab with no chance of losing his titles.

---------------------------------

Ramirez.

Uzcategui.

Benavidez.

If he wants to fight the best in his division, he can't not talk about these guys. And yet.....

Uzcategui and Benavidez probably wouldn't bring big money in the UK and their promoters don't have enoungh power to get Smith to the US. As for Ramirez, Arum does everything to make his career look as bland as possible. I'd love to see these fights, but Smith's position is way more powerful after WBSS to have such risks in the minor fights.

Uzcategui and Benavidez probably wouldn't bring big money in the UK and their promoters don't have enoungh power to get Smith to the US. As for Ramirez, Arum does everything to make his career look as bland as possible. I'd love to see these fights, but Smith's position is way more powerful after WBSS to have such risks in the minor fights.

I understand the financial aspect, but he holds belts at 168. Who else is there to fight, unless Canelo or Golovkin officially move up?

(And even then, they would not be ranked in the top 5, until they win fights in that division.)

Edited by Cableaddict