Artur Beterbiev vs. Callum Johnson

Cableaddict

This Saturday.

Love me some Beterbiev, but he's never really developed his defense to a point I'd like to see. Same for his balance issues.

He's basically the same fighter he was 4 years ago.

Still awfully dangerous.

So what about this guy Callum Johnson?

He's on a KO streak, so clearly not a push-over, but he has only 1 recognizable name on his list of victims.

Anybody know much about him?

Edited by LondonRingRules

Re: Artur Beterbiev vs. Callum Johnson

I'm really looking forward to this fight.

Callum Johnson looked brilliant at the Commonwealth Games but never got enough/right fights to progress his career. I'm sure I remember reading an article on Boxing Scene and he blamed Frank Warren - the article was pulled.

He had 18 months out of the ring cable with his dad dieing and a few injuries stopped him returning sooner.

He has power in both hands as you saw against Bugluioni.

No way this fight will last the 12 rounds.

Should be a really entertaining card tonight.

Danny Roman vs. Gavin McDonnell Should be an action-filled 12 rounds of skill.

Jarrell Miller vs. Tomasz Adamek is ridiculous, of course, but SOMEBODY is going down, and I'd love to see the massively-overhyped Miller exposed and humiliated. - Got my popcorn ready !

(Oh, and there's also Vargas vs Dulorme, but who really givesafuk? )

Two bangers going at it. The first round knockdown was dodgy, as the ref shouted "No", as Johnson was bringing his head back in from through the ropes. That he got up is credit to his will. Beterbiev was properly hurt from the 2nd round knockdown and did well to regain composure.

Cracking fight and finish.

Loved the main event. Probably the best thing that ever happened to Beterbiev. A wake up call to get his defense together.

IMO the big difference in the fight was Beterbiev's reaction time, which was noticeably quicker than Johnson's. Also, he seems to pick his punches more carefully, making every one count, whereas Johnson often tries to just batter through his opponents' defenses.

Still. this is one of those fights where the loser's career might actually get a boost, even though he lost. Don't wanna' see a rematch just yet, but I sure do want to see Johnson again more top ten guys.

The first round knockdown was dodgy, as the ref shouted "No", as Johnson was bringing his head back in from through the ropes.

Yeah that was appalling, that wasn't a legitimate knockdown and he should have been given time. Instead the ref tried to pretend that he never called for a break in the action when he did, by administering the count as if nothing untoward had just happened.

Yeah that was appalling, that wasn't a legitimate knockdown and he should have been given time. Instead the ref tried to pretend that he never called for a break in the action when he did, by administering the count as if nothing untoward had just happened.

Agreed.

Though luckily it didn't really to affect the fight, in the end.

It was really poor, thankfully Johnson was able to get up and continue but it could have psychologically been a kicker for him!

Great tear up while it lasted though. Johnson proved he will be a handful for anyone in the division while Beterbiev also came through adversity and showed his mental grit!!

Some tasty match ups to be made at light-heavy with the Eastern European lot Beterbiev, Bivol, Kovalev plus Jack, Alvarez and Stevenson.....and maybe not too far down the line Britain's Anthony Yarde might join that mix!

Interesting times ahead.