[SPOILERS] Sergey Kovalev vs Eleider Alvarez

LondonRingRules

--- Yup, Sergey Kovalev defends his WBO title against the Montreal fighter Chickenson ducked, The undefeated Eleider Alvarez in Atlantic city.

On Saturday Kov should take this by ko, but Alvarez is a defensive fighter and Kov moving up ther in age, so we shall see.

Edited by LondonRingRules

Re: Sergey Kovalev vs Eleider Alvarez

We expecting Bivol to step in with Kov next and smash him to bits after they've both shared another card?

I like Bivol, he's a killer!

Indeed.

Bivol is the future of the division. I expect Sergey to retire, rather than face him. (And no shame in that, either.)

Edited by Cableaddict

Both fights look great on the paper. Chilemba may be little past-prime, but I still remember how surprised I was when he stood his ground against Kovalev. It's hard to predict what can happen in the main event. Alvarez isn't always exciting, but effective.

Making the trip to this card. Hoping Kovalev looks impressive, so it hypes up a potential Bivol matchup.

Nice!

I expect Kovalev to be in the shape of his life. He's obviously past his prime, but he'll be fit, and likely very aggressive in the ring.

Despite the fact that the cheating cuntbag from Oakland lost their first fight and should have lost via DQ in the second, those bouts have to still hang heavy on Kovalev's mind. He must be looking to erase some of that stink, with a really aggressive, fan-friendly win over Alvarez.

Nice!

I expect Kovalev to be in the shape of his life. He's obviously past his prime, but he'll be fit, and likely very aggressive in the ring.

Despite the fact that the cheating cuntbag from Oakland lost their first fight and should have lost via DQ in the second, those bouts have to still hang heavy on Kovalev's mind. He must be looking to erase some of that stink, with a really aggressive, fan-friendly win over Alvarez.

It's a shame Alvarez wasted so many years chasing that Stevenson fight. I felt he had a decent chance against him, less so against Krusher.

I felt he had a decent chance against him, less so against Krusher.

TBH I would have thought a defensive fighter like Alvarez would have a better chance the other way round. Kov is SO, SO predictable and lunging - whereas Chickenson throws offensive punches from silly angles and is MUCH harder to read.

TBH I would have thought a defensive fighter like Alvarez would have a better chance the other way round. Kov is SO, SO predictable and lunging - whereas Chickenson throws offensive punches from silly angles and is MUCH harder to read.

I pretty much agree.

Kovalev is indeed fairly predictable, just hard to stop. The Haitian Rapist has a one-dimensional offense but his defense is brilliant, esp those head slips. Both guys give Alvarez a rough night, but Kovalev is most likely easier to land on. - And especially now.

If Alvarez can make it to the final bell, and the judges haven't been paid off, he definitely has a chance.

I think the only way you might give Eleider a chance to outbox Kovalev is based on his 2 fights with Ward. But thats unfair, because Ward is several levels above most in terms of skill and boxing IQ.

I think the main thing tonight isn't to see if Alvarez can win, even though he definitely has a chance.

The big thing is to see what Kovalev looks like. Has he aged? Where is his head, post Ward fiasco?

Again, Sergey certainly must want to erase the stink of all that Ward corruption. However, if he stays in the game, then he almost certainly has to fave both Bivol and Beterbiev, and that's some serious challenge. He won't want to retire on a loss. So, tonight will show both us AND team Kovalev what his future might look like. His performance tonight may influence his decision on when to hang it up.

Edited by Cableaddict

Re: [spoilerS] Sergey Kovalev vs Eleider Alvarez

Oh what a night!!!!

Didn't see that coming. Looked to me like Krusher was gonna end it after the 4th round, then gets caught. Doesn't seem to know how to hold/survive. Tries to trade with Eleider, which results in the 2nd KD. Afterward tries to cover up, and Eleider loops a right over the guard. Good night. I knew after the 2nd knockdown it was gonna be over. Even recorded a video on my phone as it was happening.

I had a blast. Met and took pics with Bivol, Roy Jones, Lampley, Anthony Yarde, Lucien Bute, Joe Smith, Isaac Chilemba and Gerry Cooney. Got a signed glove by Bivol, and have a staredown pic with him. Snuck into the post fight press conference, snag a free sandwich.

Here's a pic of me looking at Bivol getting interviewed. Thats me with the beard. ;)

image1.jpg

1 tid bit i learned during the presser. Kovalev has a rematch clause. I think thats his only viable option at this point. Don't think he'll be able to rebuild feasting on lower level opponents, to get back to title contention. Yet still dangerous enough that the other title holders would just avoid him. Doubt he ever faces Stevenson. He could always say to himself that he was winning the fight after 6 rounds, and got caught., then never recovered.

A fair amount of Canadiens were there. And lots of Colombian jerseys. Definitely more Russians, considering they had Bivol on the card as well. Also Bivol's english has improved remarkably since i last saw him several months ago.

A fair amount of Canadiens were there. And lots of Colombian jerseys. Definitely more Russians, considering they had Bivol on the card as well. Also Bivol's english has improved remarkably since i last saw him several months ago.

Smart of him to be working on that.

I'm surprised Alvarez hasn't learned English. A bit too late in the game now.