Ronnie Clarke vs Zelfa Barrett [SPOILERS]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie Clarke vs Zelfa Barrett [SPOILERS]

I usually complain when the wrong fighter wins, especially when its a home fighter getting a gift on their promoters show.

But, tonight it was good to see 33-year-old Ronnie Clark (21-4-2) defeat Zelfa Barrett (19-0) and get the decision, a well deserved victory.

It was the best fight of the night on BoxNation and one that's worth a watch.

If you don't want to watch the fight be sure to check out Clark's uppercut that put Barrett on his backside.

Re: Ronnie Clarke vs Zelfa Barrett [SPOILERS]

Thought it was just going to be a night of "showcase" fights for Warren's crop, so it was nice to see the big upset.

I was late having food so was only catching bits of the fight as I was cooking. Clark was tough, awkward and relentless. Probably a good learning fight for the younger Zelfa but one he really should have dealt with if he is supposed to be a top prospect. As it was he struggled to deal with the tricky foe and came unstuck, could't adjust to the adversity.

The other worry was the very real potential for the judges to have miraculously scored rounds for Zelfa and giving him the win, but if anything they were extra wide in the other direction. So fair play to the judges there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ton View Post
      Thought it was just going to be a night of "showcase" fights for Warren's crop, so it was nice to see the big upset.

I was late having food so was only catching bits of the fight as I was cooking. Clark was tough, awkward and relentless. Probably a good learning fight for the younger Zelfa but one he really should have dealt with if he is supposed to be a top prospect. As it was he struggled to deal with the tricky foe and came unstuck, could't adjust to the adversity.

The other worry was the very real potential for the judges to have miraculously scored rounds for Zelfa and giving him the win, but if anything they were extra wide in the other direction. So fair play to the judges there.
      His performance kind of reminded me of Spike O'Sullivan. Clark had that extra bit of toughness, resilience and he was making Barrett miss a lot of shots with that little bit of body movement by dipping his shoulders backwards. His head movement was really good and that uppercut was something special.

The judges were IBF judges and not the usual UK judges.

Comment

Fantastic performance by Clark. Barrett was 19-0 going in but this was a step up in class. Zelfa lost but will learn more from that, than his previous 19. Did well to get up from the knockdown. Hope the win gets Clark a few more good paydays.

Comment

Originally posted by the_budweiser View Post
          His performance kind of reminded me of Spike O'Sullivan. Clark had that extra bit of toughness, resilience and he was making Barrett miss a lot of shot with that little bit of body movement by dipping his shoulders backwards. His head movement was really good and that uppercut was something special.

The judges were IBF judges and not the usual UK judges.

I was thinking about O'Sullivan myself!

Great to see a tough older fighter pull an upset like this. Defintely the right decision.

It's also probably the best thing that ever happened to Zelfa. This will be a valuable lesson, and he's still young.

BRILIANT fight !

Comment

Ronnie Clark doesn’t hold back on his unfair advantage, ruining Zelfa Barrett’s career, Frank Warren’s hurt ego and Stevie Wonder being the next judge in the rematch

Scotland’s Ronnie Clark, a 14/1 underdog entered the ring against undefeated and the highly talented Zelfa Barrett at York Hall, Bethnal Green. Not many gave the Dundee fighter a chance of pulling off an upset against the Manchester favourite.

‘The Shark’ showed a lot of bite and produced a solid performance. The 33-year-old won the hearts of the fans inside the arena as he defeated Barrett with an impressive dogged display.

Ronnie Clark doesn’t hold back on his unfair advantage, ruining Zelfa Barrett’s career, Frank Warren’s hurt ego and Stevie Wonder being the next judge in the rematch - Boxing News - Ring News24

My interview with Ronnie

Comment

Working...
            X