[SPOILER] James Degale vs Caleb Truax

syrianpitbull

All credit to Caleb Truax after his performance tonight. As someone relatively new to following the sport in detail, I have never seen Truax fight before and he is no way near the level of the other champs at 168, but the way he executed a precise pressure tactic game plan with excellent cutting of the ring against Degale was marvelous. There were times I thought a hasty referee could have easily stopped the fight when Degale was on the ropes and not returning any punches, especially with the type of combination punching we saw from Truax in round 5.

As for Degale, he was excruciatingly poor, his jab was non existent and his movement in trying to set something up was very flat. After all the trash talking he did against the Eubanks in the lead up to this fight only to then lose to a fighter ranked 15th in the IBF should give him enough reason to make some drastic changes with his coaching and training in order to rebuild. What a shame!

Re:

James Degale vs Caleb Truax

DeGale's career has been like a rollercoaster for me - good olympic performance, the usual slow progression for a British fighter, then the godawful Groves "fight" followed by a string of "who cares?" performances. Then he starts to make a bit of headway, strings a few decent performances together before disappointing again vs Jack. And now this.

I think he's neared the summit of his talent and discovered he left luck off his list of supplies.

Re:

I think Badou Jack took DeGale's soul. ;-)

OK, most likely DeGale simply underestimated Truax, as did pretty much everyone else.

Regardless, I'm kinda' glad Chunky lost tonight, though, even though I really like the guy:

My main thought right now is to see Benavidez fight the winner of the Super Series, in late 2018, so I'd like to see David face someone similar to Smith or Groves in the interim. That means a tall, orthodox fighter. Truax isn't the worst choice one could make, especially now.

Re:

Honestly, I had it 7-5 for DeGale. I gave him first two, 6-9 and the last round. Of course, I don't have an issue with decision as some rounds could go either way and judges apparently valued agression. DeGale looked extremely apathetic and barely threw a punch in some rounds. Truax dictated the pace, but a lot of punches missed from him in the second part of the fight. I thought American gave up the last round and that may swing it in a favor of the champ, but scorers gave him more credit. Cleary, one of the biggest upsets recently. I expected an easy win for DeGale, even the TKO.

Re:

DeGale was poor and I think his corner were poor. They should of read him the riot act and demanded more especially after they said to him "the rounds are close" and DeGale replied "Yeah, but I'm winning".

I thought Truax was very good. He walked through DeGale and kept him on the ropes round after the round.

Well done Truax, not often a 16/1 comes to UK and wins. I was happy he didn't get robbed, I was expecting him to lose or a draw to be announced.

Re:

It was a lacklustre performance. I scored the fight even but was probably erring on the side of caution giving the closer rounds to the home fighter. In hindsight though, I'm glad Truax won the fight. He was coming forward and pressing Degale who clearly underestimated his man. The state of their faces at the end of the fight really told a story. Degale looked battered and bruised. If there was a rematch, you'd expect a refreshed and motivated Degale to win comfortably, but you have to give Truax great credit. He's come over here and took the belt.

And thankfully no dodgy hometown decision either!

Re:

It was a lacklustre performance. I scored the fight even but was probably erring on the side of caution giving the closer rounds to the home fighter. In hindsight though, I'm glad Truax won the fight. He was coming forward and pressing Degale who clearly underestimated his man. The state of their faces at the end of the fight really told a story. Degale looked battered and bruised. If there was a rematch, you'd expect a refreshed and motivated Degale to win comfortably, but you have to give Truax great credit. He's come over here and took the belt.

And thankfully no dodgy hometown decision either!

Degale always looks battered and bruised. At least he didn't quit like Rigondeaux.