Will David Lemieux's Hometown Advantage Give him the Edge Over Billy Joe Saunders?

The_budweiser

As is often the case in boxing, there are always some big fights taking place in the month of December that can often fly under the public’s eye yet still deliver in terms of year-end excitement.

Such is the case again on Dec. 16 when WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders (25-0, 12 KO’s) faces off with power-punching former IBF middleweight champion David Lemieux (38-3, 33 KO’s) on HBO inside of the Place Bell in Laval, Canada.

Saunders vs. Lemieux is the type of fight that the sport is made of, as we have two champions in their primes (both men are 28), who appear to have definite disdain and even bad blood towards one another. Given Lemieux’s pressing, often-violent style, and the brash nature of Saunders, who is never afraid of a challenge it seems, there will likely be plenty of drama on the 16th.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Will David Lemieux's Hometown Advantage Give him the Edge Over Billy Joe Saunders

--- Might be a good fight because of Lem's aggressive style and power, but thus far it appears Saunder's may have the greater stink power, so like most matches these days, it comes down to the ref and judges as the result is likely to be one of those difficult to score bouts with controversial results.

Not that such a forecast is prescient in an era where half or more title fights end up with inconclusive dubious results.

Re: Will David Lemieux's Hometown Advantage Give him the Edge Over Billy Joe Saunders

Lemieux's ability will give him the edge over Billy Joe Saunders - should be an easy win.

^ This.

Well, the hometown advantage DOES theoretically mean that Saunders can't get a BS decision, by dancing and pot-shotting all night.

And I don't see how he can possibly beat Lemmy if he (BJS) chooses to engage and trade punches.

--------------

Still, it's easy to rag on BJS because he's such a ducking little cunt, but he truly does have skills, and a great chin. I'd love to say that Eubank Jr got robbed, but he didn't. He lost legitimately due to his very low output and stupid game plan. ( "Thanks, Dad! " )

IMO, this fight will come down to Lemmy's conditioning and how hard he attacks from the opening bell. He's still young, and he has no reason to fear BJS, so I expect he'll take it to him early & hard. Turn it into a brawl right away and then keep on attacking. If so, the fight should be his for the taking.

- But I've learned to never count BJS out. He seems like a guy who should never have gotten past journeyman level, yet he just keeps on winning. (and ducking... and making excuses..... and playing golf ..... )

Edited by Cableaddict

Hoping for a demolition job by Lemieux, but unfortunately I think he has a style that can be easily outpointed by a tricky operator like BJS, unfrotunately.

Let's hope I'm wrong though and Lemieux takes his head clean off.

I actually think Saunders has the ability to make Lemieux miss for 12 rounds, similar to what he did with Eubank Jnr. In the Eubank fight he only managed to do it at the early-min rounds as he ran out of stamina in the later rounds. But, I think we will see a fitter and improved Saunders under Dominic Ingle which will get him a points decision.

Those close rounds though he will have to try steal in the final 30 seconds as close rounds will no doubt go to the home fighter.

Billy Joe Saunders v David Lemieux: A Championship Fight Preview

2017 will not have been an easy one for WBO middleweight champion, Billy Joe Saunders when he will step into the ring to fight concussive punching David Lemieux on December 16th. The Canadian will have home advantage, fighting for the title at the Place Bell in Quebec.

Saunders last fought in September and defended against Willie Monroe Jr, a fight that was frustrating to watch due to Monroe’s lack of commitment and overall fighting style of using his reflexes to avoid punches to deliver his own.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24