Thoughts on Terry Flanagan moving up to 140?

repsac

Reports saying Terry is moving up to 140 to fight Maurice Hooker. Ehh, thats a shame. All that talk about him maybe fighting Linares, or Verdejo. Then that Manchester showdown against Crolla that never materialized. Great win against Magdelano, and Petrov. But quite a few underwhelming title defenses against Fana, Matthews and Cruz. How will his 2 year title reign be remembered?

Re: Thoughts on Terry Flanagan moving up to 140?

Who's his promotor?

Flanagan seems like a typical Frank Warren fighter, a long undefeated record against noone major and picking up the WBO title along the way.

He doesn't have significant power but a good boxing skillset, but I am not sure that gets him past the top guys in the curent lightweight division or up at 140, which has some argueably even better operators at the upper tiers of the division.

He reminds me of some Warren fighter of years back but I can't think who....there've been a few with that similar profile I have described above.

My first thought was that he and Warren are simply anticipating a gap in the title belt market with Crawford moving to 147. He should be in line for a straight shot for the vacant WBO and the possibility of becoming a two weight 'world champion'. That might be unfair - perhaps he's struggling at the weight/finding it hard to make the right fights - but it feels like at least part of the explanation

My first thought was that he and Warren are simply anticipating a gap in the title belt market with Crawford moving to 147. He should be in line for a straight shot for the vacant WBO and the possibility of becoming a two weight 'world champion'. That might be unfair - perhaps he's struggling at the weight/finding it hard to make the right fights - but it feels like at least part of the explanation

It's be a smart move and that glamourous "two weight world champion" title. Warren would like that indeed. As for the weight, it could be true that he's struggling to stay at the lightweight limit. He's 5' 9 according to box rec which is quite tall for a lightweight I'd have thought.