Sergey Kovalev Reveals His New Trainer

selij

Sergey Kovalev Reveals His New Trainer

http://photo.boxingscene.com/uploads/kovalev-tursunpulatov.jpg

Former unified light heavyweight world champion Sergey "Krusher" Kovalev (30-2-1, 26 KOs) is training hard for his scheduled fight with Vyacheslav "Lion-Heart Chingonskyy" Shabranskyy (19-1, 16 KOs), which takes place on Saturday, November 25 at The Theater at Madison Square Garden.

There were numerous questions rumors regarding Kovalev's new trainer, and the Russian boxer finally decided to reveal his new coach.

Kovalev said he is now being trained by experienced coach, Abror Tursunpulatov, who help develop several top amateurs - including Uzbek boxer Fazliddin Gaibnazarov, who captured a gold medal in the 2016 Rio Olympic games. Kovalev is very pleased with his decision. "There is a general understanding of what we have to do and how to prepare, and this is the main thing. I hope that our new working relationship will bring new success in my career as a boxer," said Kovalev, 34 years old.

Kovalev is trying to bounce back in his career, after suffering back to back defeats to Andre Ward. He lost a close twelve round decision to Ward last November, and then he was stopped by Ward in their June rematch.

After the second fight with Ward, he had a bad falling out with longtime trainer John David Jackson.

Even before the rematch with Ward had taken place, there was friction between Kovalev and Jackson - including a situation, where Jackson actually held discussions with Ward's team on the subject of jumping ship. After they split, there were all sorts of rumors regarding Kovalev's next trainer - and several names were being kicked around like Virgil Hunter, Freddie Roach and Robert Garcia. But there was also talk that Kovalev felt more comfortable with an Eastern European trainer. Tursunpulatov believes he can help Kovalev in a lot of areas to sharpen his tools. "I've known Kovalev for a long time. A year ago, after the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, I came to America with my student, who is also a professional boxer. Here we got to know Sergey more closely, and since then we are actually one team. I could not refuse his request to work with him," Tursunpulatov said. "I like Kovalev as a person, we have excellent mutual understanding."

Source: Igor Lazorin, tass

Re: Sergey Kovalev Reveals His New Trainer

Will be interesting to see how this goes. The noises coming from JD Jackson were pretty negative concerning Kovalev's inclination to take instruction and listen to his trainer. Of course some of those comments may have come from the friction between them and eventual separation but it does make you wonder how far Kovalev is willing/able to take on new elements to his approach at this stage in his career

Kovlev's problem is his attitude - against Ward he showed no inclination to adapt at all, as if he were determined to win the fight on his own terms.

--- The only thing needed for Kov to adapt to was the ref, the real winner of that fight as he kept Ward propped up and Kov held down with bogus warnings for holding when Kov had his arms straight up in the air that Ward was hanging on to plus all the other outrages like low blows, hitting on the break, ect.

So Kov couldn't knock out a runner/stinker under unfavorable officiating conditions in both fight. Don't know how much JD tried to run interference for Kov, but he's already an elite boxer at the highest level, so really, a trainer should primarily give feedback on conditioning and fight strategies, but the best fighters almost always do what works best for them unless they have to wear the ref as a straight jacket and the judges as hostile witnesses.

So Kov couldn't knock out a runner/stinker under unfavorable officiating conditions in both fight. Don't know how much JD tried to run interference for Kov, but he's already an elite boxer at the highest level, so really, a trainer should primarily give feedback on conditioning and fight strategies, but the best fighters almost always do what works best for them unless they have to wear the ref as a straight jacket and the judges as hostile witnesses.

Ward didn't run, he boxed intelligently on the back foot and chose his moments to raid on the inside, t which point Kovalev was tying him up and doing nothing else. Ward's control of distance and the jab made the difference in a close fight. Kovalev could have won without a KO if he'd just been busier, but he seemed to resign himself to not getting the KO and wasted time.

And I'm sick of the excuse of "running" being used when a popular fighter doesn't beat an unpopular one - as with Mayweather, as with Klitschko, everyone knows how Ward fights, so if his opponent doesn't bother to factor that into his plans, that's on him.

--- All Ward did was run his noggin under Kov's armpit forcing him to put Ward in a choke to protect himself. When Kov was disallowed that, Ward opened up his "inside" low blow/butting strategy.

Son of Gollum earned his slimy stripes in those fights and no amount of Gavvy whitewash can wash away the stain of his fetid, festering reputation. At least TUE had enough boxing skills and moxie to do well enough after the ref gave him a safe lead. Ward has no skills, hence the dirtiest style in boxing every single time he faces an elite fighter. He can only legit outbox the Sullivan Barreras and Greens of the world.

You can have the scab, Gavvy, you've earned him!

Ward has no skills, hence the dirtiest style in boxing every single time he faces an elite fighter. He can only legit outbox the Sullivan Barreras and Greens of the world.

Well now you're being silly even by your own standards - Ward has been dirty at times certainly, but you make him sound like Bika rather than a guy with good footwork, a solid jab, a bit of a dig and a great knowledge of the angles - he managed to snap Kovalev's head back plenty of times as well as landing to the body.

I'll quite happily keep Ward, I was sorry to see him retire. Meanwhile Kovalev will follow in Froch's footsteps of doing very well so long as he stops believing in his own invincibility.

Meanwhile Kovalev will follow in Froch's footsteps of doing very well so long as he stops believing in his own invincibility.

Fucks sake that's brilliant :thumb:

Ward has no skills

Enough to beat Krusher twice tho - by UD and stoppage and Froch.