[CONTAINS SPOILER] Thoughts on Michael Venom Page (MVP) Boxing Debut

syrianpitbull

Last Friday MVP made his pro boxing debut against a journeyman from Spain in a scheduled 4 rounder on free terrestrial channel Dave. MVP knocked his opponent down in round 3 and the referee considered his opponent to be in no position to continue after beating the count. Prior to his pro debut, MVP came into the ring with a background in MMA and an impressive record of 12-0. He is also infamously known for crushing Cyborg Santos' forehead with a flying knee kick.

Personally, I enjoyed the fight while it lasted primarily due to the showboating MVP was doing, however, going forward I am not quite sure if MVP has much of a future in boxing if he intends on reaching the upper echelons of the sport. Showboating is a great and fan friendly style, but doing it all the time is excessive and at the end of the day with a step up in competition level it is ultimately the pure boxing skills that will pay the bills.

What do you guys think of MVP's debut?

Re: Thoughts on Michael Venom Page (MVP) Boxing Debut

What do you guys think of MVP's debut?

Absolute garbage, but with Haye mentoring him I expected nothing else only smoke and mirrors. With a square stance like that and dropped arms, as soon as he comes up against a proper boxer he will get his head knocked off. And the sooner the better for me. And at age 30 he comes into the sport very late in the day. He will have a few niche fights which don't involve proper boxers, and disappear into the wilderness. He fought at light-heavy but all the talk is of him coming in at SMW for his next fight and beyond - so that puts him in the same bracket as Callum Smith, Eub Jnr, David Benavidez, George Groves, Gilberto Ramirez, Jesse Hart to name but a few. If he drops his guard against any of those he will be eating hospital food through a straw for a month.

A better question would have been "Thoughts on Willie Hutchinson Debut" as he is the only one out of the three who made pro debuts on this card on Friday who stands a reasonable chance of actually making it to the top. A fantastic first outing.

Re: [CONTAINS SPOILER] Thoughts on Michael Venom Page (MVP) Boxing Debut

What a ridiculous name! That's my thoughts.

I didn't see it but it sounds like the guy is something of a bellend if he was "showboating" in his first fight which would ultimately be against an absolute no hoper in there for a bit of pay to take a beating.

Re: [CONTAINS SPOILER] Thoughts on Michael Venom Page (MVP) Boxing Debut

Wasn't impressed at all. Squares up, hands down, showboating, has horrible punching technique. Most of the time he was just lunging in, knowing full well his opponent didn't have the skill to counter. And the stoppage was horse shit!