WBSS~Briedis vs Perez

LondonRingRules

Re: WBSS~Briedis vs Perez

--- Hate to see a good guy like Perez go out like this as an emaciated cruiser. If he was a full heavy as before, I'd pick him hands down, but he looks not only sick, but undersized and weak.

http://fightnews.com/boxing/briedis-perez-weighin.jpg

Even in his prime, and as a HW, he couldn't beat Briedis.

This is one of the few WBSS bouts that isn't massively exciting / nail biting.

----------------------------------

BTW- That ring girl on the right needs a caption. Something like:

"You said you'd call me, now you know you did, but you haven't called in like three days! What's up with THAT?"

(& I think the guy in the blue shirt could get the same caption. )

Edited by Cableaddict

--- Perez never had a chance to get his prime under him after the Mago tragedy.

I'll take this guy hands down over any of the current cruiser crop save Usyk:

http://static.boxrec.com/thumb/2/27/Perez.Ismaikel.jpg/200px-Perez.Ismaikel.jpg

I'm not knocking Perez.

He's tough, slippery, "powerful enough", and much faster than you'd think, given those "weight room" muscles. ("I pick things up, and put them down.... " )

However, he's just not elite, and HAVE YOU SEEN BRIEDAS FIGHT ???????? He totally dominated Huck, Duradola, Charr, etc... Not just beat them, total domination, start-to-finish. His defense is incredible, and he just makes his opponents miss all night long until they get tired, then he puts them to sleep. "There's a nice lad."

He's also a terrific counter-puncher, which should make life incredibly difficult for Perez, who, needs to drive forward & swarm.

Edited by Cableaddict

BTW - Is it just me, or has Perez started morphing into a slightly smaller version of Luis Ortiz? I actually thought Boxrec made a mistake with that picture, until I realize the tats were definitely Perez's.

I'm not even sure they aren't actually the same person. Have we ever seen them in the same room at the same time?

Edited by Cableaddict

Yeah, one of the worst fights of the year.

- And it's all Briedas' fault, which is incredibly hard to believe / understand. He always plays it safe for the first half of the fight, using his legs / counterpunching and waiting for his opponent to tire, but in this fight he literally never opened up. I can't fathom Briedas being afraid of Perez's power, especially since Perez doesn't have the footwork to chase Briedas down. Briedas even looked positively gassed by round six or so.

Credit to Perez, who looked sharp & aggressive. Sadly, he was (as expected) totally outclassed by Briedas' defense.

Edited by Cableaddict

Yeah, one of the worst fights of the year.

- And it's all Briedas' fault, which is incredibly hard to believe / understand. He always plays it safe for the first half of the fight, using his legs / counterpunching and waiting for his opponent to tire, but in the fight he literally never opened up. I can't fathom Briedas being afraid of Perez's power, especially since Perez doesn't have the footwork to chase Briedas down. Briedas even looked positively gassed by round six or so.

In 2015-2016 Briedis knocked heavyweight Manuel Charr out cold, needed just two rounds for Danie Venter who lasted nine rounds with Usyk (even won some rounds) and TKOd Durodola. I thought that he will be some kind of cruiserweight powerful "monster" and I expected him to beat Huck badly. Instead he played this fight safe, yet still successful and yesterday he used some pure B-Hop style. I still believe he's very strong. I think Perez was feeling those punches, but Briedis just didn't put them in combinations. I think he just wanted to be in the semi-final badly and this is why he fought awkward and safe. Against Usyk he will probably fight his best as an underdog.

Usyk must have some weak spots. I thought that Golovkin, Kovalev, Gonzalez are flawless and it turned out that they are not. Briedis just should come out as a puncher and try to put pressure on Usyk early. But, he really needs to give up this safe style.

Fucking awful fight!! I begrudged awarding most rounds to Briedis since he continually just potted out a job or the odd classy uppercut and then tied up when Perez came in.

Unfortunately Perez, while game, just didnt know how to deal with those shit tactics and they were the only things worth scoring.

Terrible fight.

--- Hate to see a good guy like Perez go out like this as an emaciated cruiser. If he was a full heavy as before, I'd pick him hands down, but he looks not only sick, but undersized and weak.

http://fightnews.com/boxing/briedis-perez-weighin.jpg

He looks like he lost 70-80 pounds!