Did Golovkin throw the fight?

Cableaddict

IMO Golovkin clearly won, but not by much, and he sure didn't look like himself in the process.

Granted, Canelo looked terrific. Absolutely the best fight of his life. (Even though he lost.) But while his defense was spectacular, there were plenty of times the old Golovkin would have eaten him alive with combinations. Where was that Golovkin Sat night? I refuse to believe this was due to age. maybe he might have looked less crisp, but age doesn't make you stop throwing combos. - or attacking from the side. -Or going to the body.

----------------------------------------

It's not at all out of the question that a draw was decided on beforehand.

One could argue that Golovkin never looked like he was trying to take Canelo out.

Not ME of course, (I firmly believe boxing is 100% legit, and I know this because CJ Ross & Adelaide Byrd both told me so) but ONE could argue thus ..........

You know what investigators always say after a crime: "Follow the money."

So who gets rich due to this being a draw?

Fucking EVERYBODY.

Edited by Cableaddict

Re: Did Golovkin throw the fight?

No, no he did not! Don't be ridiculous.

He did enough to win the fight, Canelo did well and GGG was relentless in coming forward but he never landed any real significant shots, so the stoppage is not a surprise.

To me Canelo landed the bigger and cleaner punches, however, Golovkin landed significantly more and put a lot more pressure on his opponent. It was a close fight but I felt Golovkin won it by about 4 rounds. These were some of the biggest punches we've seen Golovkin take from one of the hardest hitting boxers in the sport at the moment. Shows he has a fantastic chin too for a big hitter! A rematch would be what everyone would love to see! ;-)

Canelo looked terrific. Absolutely the best fight of his life..

Yeah, amazing - the way he backed into the ropes and potshotted. Mayweather would have been proud. It was a good scrap when it caught fire, but neither had a performance for the ages.

He's a pretty big puncher. Has a good KO ratio and has destroyed guy with his punches. Yeah GGG is a bigger puncher and would knock people out for fun but Canelo is still a heavy hitter in my opinion. But I do think GGG had that fight and should have been awarded the victory for number of punches landed and aggressiveness

Yeah, amazing - the way he backed into the ropes and potshotted. Mayweather would have been proud. It was a good scrap when it caught fire, but neither had a performance for the ages.

--- Guess you missed all the times Canelo stood in ring center and made Golovkin back up not to mention several late rounds where Canelo started in ring center and was fighting Golovkin off him.

Bayliss only did OK because these guys are clean fighters, but as expected, one of the top 5 worst judges in boxing, dear Adelaide Byrd, turned in a clown card, throwing the whole result into question as boxing does these days. It's no longer a legit sport with this level of corrupt officiating. I had canelo by 4, but if I score my even rounds for Golovkin, it matches the draw everyone is moaning about.

Golovkin threw the most punches, but he missed a bunch and Canelo made him pay, and kept on from rushing in until late in the fight when he was desperate. Canelo fought as complete a style mix as anyone in history, and this notion that Golovkin is shot complete revisionism because the bigger, stronger guy who actually did run, Jacobs, went the distance. Golovkin can still KO the level had had been fighting, but Canelo is the first guy to drive him backwards and did so all night. Kid hits hard and mitigated most of Golovkin's shots.

He's a pretty big puncher. Has a good KO ratio and has destroyed guy with his punches. Yeah GGG is a bigger puncher and would knock people out for fun but Canelo is still a heavy hitter in my opinion. But I do think GGG had that fight and should have been awarded the victory for number of punches landed and aggressiveness

Most of Canelo's KOs have come against smaller men or those with dubious chins. He didn't stop Cotto, for example. I'm not saying he doesn't have power, but one of the hardest hitters in boxing? I can't see that.

Simple answer to the topic is NO.

Adelaide Byrd was taking the piss with her scoring - so bad it's criminal. But, she's not the first to post a ridiculous scorecard in Canelo's favour. It's happened before: Stanley Christodoulou - 118-109 in the Austin Trout fight. C.J. Ross – 114-114 in the Mayweather fight. Levi Martinez – 117-111 in the Erislandy Lara fight. Dave Moretti – 119-109 in the Miguel Cotto fight. What needs to be looked at is Oscar and whether GBP are buying off judges. Very fishy. I wonder if Oscar's 'The Ring' will give a fair assesment of this fight or act like Canelo won?

Golovkin is ageing but he won this fight. Teddy Atlas and his outbursts on this fight are spot on. Boxing has alot of problems (mainly too many sanctioning bodies and weight classes) but the basic's of this sport, is that the right fighter gets his hand raised. I don't believe in the bullshit of "Oh, it was close so it doesn't matter". It does fucking matter.

Golovkin certainly showed Canelo a lot of respect but for me it was his will that was imposed , he walked through the fire coming at him and kept on coming paying canelo back with interest

GGG won clearly in my mind , Byrds scorecard is so appalling it must be rigged , a pure insult to both great fighters

Conor McGregor is wetting himself laughing right now after all the self righteous pontificating boxing analysts fed us about his freak show and how sept 16th would show everyone how its done.

Cheers Adelaide

.. dear Adelaide Byrd, turned in a clown card, throwing the whole result into question as boxing does these days. It's no longer a legit sport with this level of corrupt officiating. I had canelo by 4, but if I score my even rounds for Golovkin, it matches the draw everyone is moaning about.

Golovkin threw the most punches, but he missed a bunch and Canelo made him pay, and kept on from rushing in until late in the fight when he was desperate. Canelo fought as complete a style mix as anyone in history, and this notion that Golovkin is shot complete revisionism because the bigger, stronger guy who actually did run, Jacobs, went the distance. Golovkin can still KO the level had had been fighting, but Canelo is the first guy to drive him backwards and did so all night. Kid hits hard and mitigated most of Golovkin's shots.

I was rooting for Canelo as I really like his style and eye catching moves, but it was a stretch to have him draw this fight, never mind win by 4.

I had GGG by 2 and even then I think I was giving Canelo the benefit of the doubt for some of those.

He landed the nicer, flusher shots. started and ended well, but GGG was relentless in coming forward and forcing the fight and deserved the victory.

A draw wasn't an unfathomable result in all honesty as there were a few rounds where it could have gone either way, it's just that Byrds scorecard was so far off, its made a sham of the whole thing, and brought the sport into disrepute.

--- I liked both fighters coming in, but could see a difficult fight to score over distance because boxing has deliberately stunk up their sport with their asinine scoring system and refusal to enforce their own rules unless it suits them.

This a clean bout, the action was open, easily viewed, and Golovkin certainly wasn't relentless when Canelo kept knocking him backwards. When he was relentless, Canelo kept him off balance, missing shots and countering in crisp shots.

Like I said, if I give Golovkin all my even rounds, it's a draw, dead square in the parameter of scoring in this fight which is why I score even rounds. In short, the rounds Golovkin might have won on my card were not as good as the rounds I gave both he and Canelo, and of those rounds, Canelo took over the latter part of the fight.

Bottom line, it's Vegas and the umpteenth big fight this year being called a robbery. No other sport soils itself like boxing.

To me Canelo landed the bigger and cleaner punches, however, Golovkin landed significantly more and put a lot more pressure on his opponent. It was a close fight but I felt Golovkin won it by about 4 rounds. These were some of the biggest punches we've seen Golovkin take from one of the hardest hitting boxers in the sport at the moment. Shows he has a fantastic chin too for a big hitter! A rematch would be what everyone would love to see! ;-)

Maybe at the lower weight against the Khan's and Liam Smiths of this world but at 160 Canelo isn't even close to being a hard hitter, this was quite clear

It's funny how boxing scoring has changed, Canelo done a better job against Golovkin than Leonard did against Hagler imo but look at fans and 'experts' reactions

I would say Hagler spent much of the early fight not throwing enough but just trying to steamroll Leonard - Golovkin was busy and landing pretty well, and Canelo wasn't firing back as much as he could.

Edited by gavpowell

OK, forget my original question, even though I still think it's possible, as there were many MANY moments when Golovkin had a chance to clean Canelo's clock but didn't fire his right hand. Let's just pretend it's his reflexes slowing with age.

OK then.

In that case, the story of the fight for me is Glovkin's defense, not Canelo's. Both were brilliant, but we expected thus from Canelo. Golovkin's defense is more subtle, and so probably way uner appreciated, or even under noticed, by many. (including the judge that scored it a draw. While Canelo uses his incredibly good had movement to cleanly slip punches, Golovkin relies more on already being at a safe distance, so he doesn't have to move as much. Plus, Golovkin also relies heavily on blocking punches, which he does incredibly well.

The problem is, a lot of folks evidently don't know what a blocked punch is. Round 12 is a classic example. Canelo threw all sorts of fancy stuff in the beginning of that round, and the crowd and commentators, (and @London, no doubt :whistle: ) oohed & ahhed, but Canelo didn't land a single clean punch until that right hand at 2:42. Not ONE. And the same thing happened in the middle of the round. Golovkin won round 12 by a mile, yet all three judges gave it to Canelo.

I fucking give up.

Maybe at the lower weight against the Khan's and Liam Smiths of this world but at 160 Canelo isn't even close to being a hard hitter, this was quite clear

Yes I think it did make it clear that his power isn't the same at 160. Even against Chavez Jr he dominated the fight and landed big punches but wasn't able to put him away. I'm sure Golovkin respected his power but also knew it wasn't enough to knock him out!

Will be interesting to see what Canelo does next - rematch with GGG, goes back down to his natural weight division, or stays at middleweight but takes on another fighter

I would say Hagler spent much of the early fight not throwing enough but just trying to steamroll Leonard - Golovkin was busy and landing pretty well, and Canelo wasn't firing back as much as he could.

--- Hagler spent the early rounds trying to outbox Leonard from the orthodox stance, an outrageous strategic blunder born of his pride of thinking he was the better boxer and would prove it.

Expectations were that he would steamroll Leonard, but instead gave Leonard the early lead that he maintained of 2 of the 3 cards. Guaranteed with the same fight contract in the rematch, Hagler would start strong and maintain a hurtful pace. At anyrate, Golovkin the best fighter Canelo has faced and took substantial steam out of him and made him look shabby at times and pretty much landed at will. I hope to see a trilogy out of it as it would enhance both their reputations and maybe give modern American fans a taste of what old school boxing was meant to be.

• Like 1

--- I liked both fighters coming in, but could see a difficult fight to score over distance because boxing has deliberately stunk up their sport with their asinine scoring system and refusal to enforce their own rules unless it suits them.

But that's just the issue, judges TRY and interpret the rulea as they see fit and judge what they see based on those interpretations of the rules. It's an extra dimension to what they have seen and like the actual action they witness, it's is personal opinion of how they first of all see the actual action taking place....and then again another personal opinion on how to apply what they saw to how they interpret the rules! :whistle:

Bottom line, it's Vegas and the umpteenth big fight this year being called a robbery. No other sport soils itself like boxing.

I've not seen LOADS of shouts of robbery. Mostly people are mortified by the horror scorecard.....but a lot can see how it may have been evenly scored.

I fucking give up.

Promise?;-)

:haha:

Yes.

But I didn't say for how LONG .......

:rant: