Wake-Guzman fight thoughts?

The_budweiser

Standing count was weird in round 2, Wake got a sore one when his cheek split. Ref didn't seem to do anything until Wake pointed both arms towards his face as if to ask for help from the referee - this resulted in a standing count. Near the end of round 2 Guzman produced a fantastic 2 punch combination and it had Wake rattled and his gloves hit the canvas, producing another count from the ref. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did in the fight after those punches.

Wake hit in the canvas in round 3 after Guzman landed with a left hook.

The fight got a bit scrappy after that either Wake was trying to spoil Guzman or Guzman was tiring slightly or a bit of both.

Wake hit the canvas again at the end of round 5. Guzman landed a strong punch after the fight and Wake dropped his knees to the canvas - Maybe looking for the DQ?

Wake maybe should of got counted in round 6 as he almost went through the ropes head first, ropes maybe kept him up. It would of been harsh thought as he immediately turned around looking for Guzman.

After the punishment Wake has taken up to this point it was refreshing to see him finish round 7 on top.

Video: http://www.koboxingforum.com/showthread.php?t=108702&p=271338#post271338

25:20 Wake's face is horrible - OUCH!!!!

Guzman hit canvas in round 10 and ref didn't give it. Think it was more of a coming together with a little push.

Got to give a lot of credit to Wake. He took a lot of punishment but kept coming forward throughout the fight were as other boxers would of went into a shell after that injury. I think he knew he was losing and he gambled in round 11 to his credit to try win the fight but after grabbing Guzman's leg it made the ref take notice of the side of his face and he ended the fight.

Maybe should of been stopped sooner as the injury looks a bad one.

Any news on the injury Scott? Broken cheek?

wake.jpg

Re: Wake-Guzman fight thoughts?

Wake completely outclassed. The Asian fans had been lauding Wake prior to the fight but are now very quiet.

There were 2 KD's in R2 Bud, you seem to have overlooked one in your summary - and a further 2 in R3 and R5.

Wake completely outclassed. The Asian fans had been lauding Wake prior to the fight but are now very quiet.

There were 2 KD's in R2 Bud, you seem to have overlooked one in your summary - and a further 2 in R3 and R5.

I said there was 2. Read above mate. 1 standing count and the 2 punch combo that rattled Wake.

Suspected broken cheek bone and rib, Wake says he damaged his hand too. Think the are waiting for the swelling to go down before they can be sure about the cheek bone. He's said Guzman was better in every way but that he's going to keep chasing a world title.

Guzman looked like a monster in there, gonna be a hard guy to beat. Though I do think the referee did Wake no favours (the KD in round 3 looked like a push, the late shot in round 5 was VERY late) and Wake should have had a KD in....round 10 I think).

Guzman Vs Juarez would be a great one, Vargas wouldn't be bad, Iwasa/Ogini/Servania/Kim are all in the mix in regards to IBF rankings.

Suspect both take a break before even stepping in the gym, Guzman's eye was swollen shut as well as Wake's injuries.

I said there was 2. Read above mate. 1 standing count and the 2 punch combo that rattled Wake.

Yeah, I missed a couple im my summary. Was talking to you and Scott and the same time as well as watching. I will watch round 3 and 5 again.

Yeah, I missed a couple im my summary. Was talking to you and Scott and the same time as well as watching. I will watch round 3 and 5 again.

Selij I mentioned all the knock downs:hug:... you had me worried I missed some :mlol:

Too much beer Selij? :lol:

Guzman looked like a monster in there, gonna be a hard guy to beat. Though I do think the referee did Wake no favours (the KD in round 3 looked like a push, the late shot in round 5 was VERY late) and Wake should have had a KD in....round 10 I think).

The KD in round 3 I thought was a arm hook. But after watching the replay I thought it was legit.

I didn't think Wake's knockdown in round 10 was a knockdown either mate. It was a coming together and a slight push, off balance fall. Not enough for me to score it a knock down.

The punch in round 5 was very very late and Guzman should of got a warning and points as it would of took something out of Wake especially with the injury he was already carring. But Wake falling to the canvas reminded me of footballers trying to influence the ref into making a decision.

Not the same as saying KD no2 tho is it?

Edited it mate ;-)

"Near the end of round 2 Guzman produced a fantastic 2 punch combination and it had Wake rattled and his gloves hit the canvas, producing another count from the ref."

--- The smaller Guzman outstanding heart and power and Wake, in spite of being destroyed inside and out, had some good moments and busted up Guzman face. Fairly reffed though Guzman should've gotten the KD at the bell not that it mattered as these guys were on the canvas more than mr pink.

Watch Rigomortis duck Guzman now.

Wake is a very brave fighter, but when comes to the skill, he's not on the championship level. I noticed that Japan recently has some crisis in boxing, when their fighters fail to compete with top challengers.

Wake is a very brave fighter, but when comes to the skill, he's not on the championship level. I noticed that Japan recently has some crisis in boxing, when their fighters fail to compete with top challengers.

Gonna get worse when Yamanaka and Hasegawa both lose in September, wouldn't be surprised if Concepcion beat Kono in August...