Fatboy Andy Ruiz Enters Ring Rankings

Fatboy Andy Ruiz made his debut in the Ring heavyweight rankings in 10th place.

Boxrec puts him at 31st. Ring puts David Haye 9th, but boxrec pits him 21st. Ring puts Jennings 8th, but boxrec at 24th. Povetkin kicked out, yet Ortiz still in, all done in the sly by Ring in some kinda back room deal. Is there no way out of boxing's logjam poor ratings and officiating?

We're in the 2nd decade of the 3rd millennium, so how many more millennia will it take to create a fair and equitable system of boxing?

Re: Fatboy Andy Ruiz Enters Ring Rankings

Boxrec is pure mathematics. Haye was out for a long period of time, so he has lost share of his points. Jennings is also an example of boxer, whose ranking position doesn't represent his skills. Because he defeated Perez by split decision, he just got 13 points for this win (70 for Szpilka). Ortiz was only 20th before fight with him, so it also contributed to his low position.

Ruiz has talent, but I think he has been moved way too slow. I interviewed him like 4 or five years ago and the thought was in about a year he would be fighting for the title. Not even close and here we are in 2016

Ruiz has talent, but I think he has been moved way too slow.

He can't move much quicker - Newton's second law of motion tells us that any increase in momentum must be relative to both the mass of the object and the amount of force applied.

Humanity does not currently possess the tool that would generate sufficient force to rapidly move a mass of his size.

--- Franklin much better than Baby who is likely to get beat up by Kassi to win bogus decision.

We'll see, but I'm thinking Ruiz has been having some personal problems. Arum hasn't been big on heavies for many years now and likely neglected him and others while Manny took all his attentions making that super dud fight.

He can't move much quicker - Newton's second law of motion tells us that any increase in momentum must be relative to both the mass of the object and the amount of force applied.

Humanity does not currently possess the tool that would generate sufficient force to rapidly move a mass of his size.

LOL post of the year.

--- Franklin much better than Baby who is likely to get beat up by Kassi to win bogus decision.

We'll see, but I'm thinking Ruiz has been having some personal problems. Arum hasn't been big on heavies for many years now and likely neglected him and others while Manny took all his attentions making that super dud fight.

Jarrell Miller on Fred Kassi: I’m ready to put his lights out

Jarrell Miller on Fred Kassi: I’m ready to put his lights out - - Boxing News - Ring News24

“This is an amazing opportunity. I’m in the main event going against a tough opponent, and he’s definitely game to fight,” Miller said. “I’m ready to put his lights out like I do everybody else. I know he’s durable and a little older than me. He’s a tough guy and he can take a beating. So far, he’s only been stopped once. I’ll be the second.

“I’m going back to basics in this camp. I’m an advanced fighter, but there are a couple of things I’ve wanted to work on. It’s easy for heavyweights to rely on power and forget about technique. You see what happened to Dominic Breazeale against Anthony Joshua? His power didn’t mean jack because there was no technique behind it. I want to be the kind of fighter who puts his technique first and power last.”

“I approach Jarrell like all young fighters,” Kassi said. “I’m a seasoned pro that has fought top-tier opponents. Jarrell will have to bring his ‘A game’ against me. He’s got size and power, but it’s nothing I haven’t seen. I’m tired of getting robbed by judges like in El Paso (against Chris Arreola), and in Alabama (against Dominic Breazeale). That should have been me fighting Anthony Joshua in The O2. Against (Hughie) Fury, the cut saved him. Another round or two and he would have been done. Then we heard what we always hear, ‘oh, Fury had a bad night, so did Breazeale, so did Arreola.’ They all seem to have ‘bad’ nights when I’m in the other corner. I’m hoping to actually get some credit when Miller has a ‘bad’ night too. I’m a heavyweight boxer, that’s boxer underlined. I move my feet, I use angles, I hit and don’t get hit. That’s boxing and it’s my art. Boxing fans are going to have a great time watching me dismantle a giant.”

Do you think Franklin has any chance against Ruiz? He's obviously old, but his abilities like punching power should be present. If Ruiz is not prepared, then it can be 50/50 fight.

You look at him...then you kinda think "fat slow git"...then he throws punches and it's..WTF? O_O

Yeah, Andy has some of the fastest HW hands ever.

Problem is, that's far from enough, at the elite level. He has a very short reach (partly why his hands are so fast) so he needs to be able to move in and out quickly. Of course, he CAN'T move quickly, so against a fast counterpuncher, or a tall elite fighter, he's toast.

Fat Andy is basically a "ten round" version of Butterbean.

(And don't misunderstand, I was a BIG fan of Eric Esch. That boy had SKILLZ, and a deadly OH right.)

--- Typical stay busy, stay in shape prep for the Franklin fight were he'll be exposed to the stiffist fight of his career.

Also still young for a heavy, so maybe arum let him mature before rolling the dice. I noticed the last 3 fights he was under 250lbs which is a good weight for him.

--- Typical stay busy, stay in shape prep for the Franklin fight were he'll be exposed to the stiffist fight of his career.

Also still young for a heavy, so maybe arum let him mature before rolling the dice. I noticed the last 3 fights he was under 250lbs which is a good weight for him.

Franklin Lawrence is 40 years old, has a shortish reach, and lost the only two times he stepped anywhere near the top. (To Oliver McCall and Bermain Stiverne.) I'd say Ray Austin, The Wolf, (in 2014) Tor Hamer, and Joe Hanks were all more credible opponents.

--- Nah, not even close. Tor and Hank just prospects, and Austin and Sergie were just shot to pieces.

Even you could review the Lawrence record on boxrec and discover:

He and Stiverne were both novices with Stiverne a solid ama career with wins over Helenius and knocking out Price, not really a fair fight given Franklin's limited ama career. Ollie was still fighting and mostly beating contender types with about 70 fights experience to Franklin's 15 fights against low opposition save for a draw against Friday Ahunanya, yet Franklin took Ollie the distance. He then beat longtime contender Lance Whittaker who, Jason Estrada, and Jason Gavern consecutively that earned him a ranking, and then mysteriously tapered off, probably personal or management problems. Given since the 2009 Ollie fight he's knocked out every fighter since, I'd say regardless of how much he has left, he's never taken much punishment and remains dangerous as hell.

Timeline, without understanding it, those will never understand context to ever really understand boxing.

" Given since the 2009 Ollie fight he's knocked out every fighter since,"

No, he's gotten TKO's. Huge difference, especially if this guy is one of those "fatted calves," having TKO's "paid for" in order to build up his record & thus become a nice juicy sacrificial lamb for a top opponent who doesn't want real competition. It happens all the time. Calves, lambs, and snakes, everywhere you look ......

I'll be stuffed if I'm going to watch this guys fights to see if most of those TKO's were actually legit, but I'd bet big money that they weren't.

And good lord, man, you use opponents like Jason Estrada, and Jason Gavern to support a fighter's record? Gimme a break....

--- Jason was used as Neondeontay's Golden Fleece trophy in front of a couple dozen StubbHub fans before his WBC title fraud against Stiverne, so, yes I'll use Jason to rub you the wrong way.

Had Franklin signed with Haymon, he coulda been WBC champ and Neondeontay still fighting in Alabama...wait...he still is...Only in boxing!

The theme of the rankings is very controversial, I've never paid much attention because I have always thought that many interests between developers and agencies boxing move.

True, but it gives us fans something to do, during the months & months & months that go by between any truly meaningful fights.

:rant:

:noidea:

==================

Edited by Cableaddict

• 1 month later...

Kind of surprised this fight is happening. When is this fight scheduled?

I'm literally stunned. Peter Fury may be badly under-estimating Fat Andy. Even at his heaviest, Andy has lightning hands and serious 1-punch power.

Baby Hughie can dance, but he doesn't have crushing power, so Andy will get his chances.

This is a VERY exciting fight !