Andre Ward vs Nathan Cleverly possible for July

Re: Andre Ward vs Nathan Cleverly possible for July

Well this can only be explained as a clear example of him mishearing the fans, so I'll help:

Andre, it's spelled K-o-v-a-l-e-v.

That fight is already signed but not happening til November. Kovalev has a fight in July. Ward wants another fight rather than sit around waiting. See no harm in him fighting another contest at the weight, he's only had one. (Smith was at 172lbs I think and Paul is no Light Heavyweight).

That fight is already signed but not happening til November. Kovalev has a fight in July. Ward wants another fight rather than sit around waiting. See no harm in him fighting another contest at the weight, he's only had one. (Smith was at 172lbs I think and Paul is no Light Heavyweight).

I see no harm in him taking on some proper world-class opponents at the weight, but I'm also sick of this modern love of "tune-up fights" - he's not going to face anyone who's likely to test him because he doesn't want to blow the Kovalev fight(which should still go ahead but probably wouldn't). If the opponent's not going to test him, what's he tuning except his bank balance?

Kovalev is equally annoying for stalling - he said openly he wants to test himself against Ward, so get on with it, before one of you picks up an injury/contractual dispute/mandatory/whatever.

--- Always thought Clev sorta blew what could have been a much better career with poor development, but he'd be a live dog in this.

The Son of Gollum was bothered plenty by Barrera who while very strong, was also fairly basic. Always thought someone who could aggravate Ward in the prefight and then use hit and run tactics on him to negate his fouling would make him look bad rather than him thinking he can just win a fight by making someone look bad. Plus he's got no power, so Clev could survive any big shots.

I see no harm in him taking on some proper world-class opponents at the weight, but I'm also sick of this modern love of "tune-up fights" - he's not going to face anyone who's likely to test him because he doesn't want to blow the Kovalev fight(which should still go ahead but probably wouldn't). If the opponent's not going to test him, what's he tuning except his bank balance?

Kovalev is equally annoying for stalling - he said openly he wants to test himself against Ward, so get on with it, before one of you picks up an injury/contractual dispute/mandatory/whatever.

Cleverly gave a good account of himself against Fonfara - was a close fight. There aren't too many World class Light Heavyweights floating around (Pascal, Fonfara). Ward has a 3 fight deal with HBO, has fought twice and the Kovalev fight is the third. I agree I would like to see Kovalev vs Ward next but as "Krusher" has got another fight lined-up, I see no harm in a still looking rusty, or deteriorating, Andre taking on a capable 175lb boxer.

Cleverly gave a good account of himself against Fonfara - was a close fight. There aren't too many World class Heavyweights floating around (Pascal, Fonfara). Ward has a 3 fight deal with HBO, has fought twice and the Kovalev fight is the third. I agree I would like to see Kovalev vs Ward next but as "Krusher" has got another fight lined-up, I see no harm in a still looking rusty, or deteriorating, Andre taking on a capable 175lb boxer.

Fair enough I suppose - I didn't watch Cleverly-Fonfara, though Ward didn't look particularly rusty to me against Barrera, and certainly not deteriorating.

I'm sure Rob will be excited this is happening but I think it's a no win fight for Cleverly. I think Clev deserves credit for taking the fight and hopefully it's a good pay day for him.

I agree with LRR, Cleverly should be having a much better career at this point.

Would you rather Ward just sit around and get cold?

Would you rather Ward fight Stevenson, get KO'd and then never face Kovalev? (and neither would Stevenson.)

Cleverly is a decent fight, especially considering that Ward is still mostly unproven at LHW. Plus, to answer you specific question, Ward gets a reason to train hard. There are very few athletes with the mindset of floyd or Wlad- willing to always stay in 100% condition, and you can't blame them because it's bloody HARD to do that, at world-class level.

As for Sergey "stalling" this bout, I have no idea what you're talking about. When did he ever delay it it any way? Can you show us some article or interview where this is evident?

Would you rather Ward just sit around and get cold?

No, I'd rather he fought Kovalev instead of wasting time on "tune-ups" or getting injured, or engaging in protracted contract disputes.

As for Sergey "stalling" this bout, I have no idea what you're talking about. When did he ever delay it it any way? Can you show us some article or interview where this is evident?

"Do a little research. the answers to these questions will shock you."

Edited by gavpowell

This is an interesting one - not entirely sure how good a fight like this is in terms of preparation for Kovalev given their contrasting styles. Perhaps it's more about settling into the weight and knocking some more of the rust off though.

It is a very good fight but Ward is not interested in giving too many facilities to Cleverly weight, we can not forget that English has been champion in light heavyweight. I still see favorite Ward

Welsh, not English :nono: - in fact the Welsh probably go out of their way to be different to the English on account of being oppressed for centuries...

Also, while Cleverly was WBO champion, he was basically a paper champ - got his belt without fighting for it, had some pretty soft defences and then got smashed to pieces by Kovalev. I really can't see Cleverly having any success against Ward, but if he does, I'm making Kovalev favourite in November.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets be serious. Do we actually want Ward to face a big puncher just to prepare him for Sergei, or do we just want to see him get knocked out before entering the ring with Krusher?