Pacquiao Dumped By Nike Over Homophobia

gavpowell

Yes, everyone's favourite Filipino has finally paid the price for some of the idiotic things he says in the name of his religion.

Pacquiao recently made comments to a TV station that

It's common sense. Will you see any animals where male is to male and female is to female?...The animals are better. They know how to distinguish male from female. If we approve [of] male on male, female on female, then man is worse than animals.

Aside from his complete ignorance of the natural world, this understandably offended quite a lot of people. He later posted online that

I was just telling the truth of what the Bible teaches" before backtracking with "I'm not condemning LGBT" and then "I'm sorry for everyone I hurt...please forgive me!

Unfortunately for him, it was too late, and Nike has dropped him like a stone, saying it finds his comments abhorrent and has terminated its relationship with him. I guess that's OK - he probably didn't approve of the relationship anyway.

I find it astounding that after all this time, Pacquiao isn't more media-savvy; he's used to his every word being scrutinised, and then he comes out with rubbish like this? It's not even accurate!

Re: Pacquiao Dumped By Nike Over Homophobia

I read about that yesterday on ITV, Pacquiao apologised for calling homosexuals ‘worse than animals’.

Election speech wrote for him maybe? - 80% of Philippines are against gay marriage.

Plan gone wrong perhaps? Either way it was stupid to say what he said.

Yes, I imagine he was pandering to certain parts of the electorate, but unfortunately for him, he's a global star so his comments get reported very widely. His apology was a proper political non-apology too "I'm sorry people got upset" - he's not sorry about what he actually said, because he clearly believes it, as so many dogmatic types will do. If he doesn't get elected this time, do you think we'll see a return to boxing?

I've read a bit on this lately and as I best understand it, the context he was making these remarks in was to ingratiate himself with a possible electorate for his upcoming political aspirations. As the vast majority of Filipinos are vehemently anti-gay - according to "official" stats. I cant work out whether this makes the comments worse (?)

Two more points:

1. This is very rich coming from a country that virtually relies on the sex industry for its entire income through sex-tourism - a lot of it homosexual.

2. Nike have no issues though with sponsoring drug cheats from all walks of athletics, track sports, and traditional American sports, too.

Yes, I imagine he was pandering to certain parts of the electorate, but unfortunately for him, he's a global star so his comments get reported very widely. His apology was a proper political non-apology too "I'm sorry people got upset" - he's not sorry about what he actually said, because he clearly believes it, as so many dogmatic types will do. If he doesn't get elected this time, do you think we'll see a return to boxing?

He has a upcoming fight although he has said he will retire after it. With Mayweather retiring, there is plenty of money to be made by sticking around. How much does he make if he is elected? More than boxing? Either way he has options.

2. Nike have no issues though with sponsoring drug cheats from all walks of athletics, track sports, and traditional American sports, too.

They have a huge problem with sponsoring drug cheats who get found out - cardinal sin that, very bad for sales.

Similarly, Pacquiao's views have never been terribly secret, this was just a spectacular crass way of expressing them.

--- While his comments were were incredibly dumb for a man in his position, the sheer avalanche of hatred directed towards he and boxing defines the current western culture as the usual arrogant hypocrites as found through thousands of years of recorded history.

Sadly this a repeat of Bradley I with similar comments in liberal Nevada that led to one of the worst decisions of the decade against him. Look for Bradley to get all ref favors and judging points this time also.

Yet gays are allowed their parades with cross dressing of sexes for insulting pantomimes of heterosexual men and women and their families.

In short, the gay community lacks the high moral ground they wish to claim. My guess is as a homeless kid on the street manny had hundreds of negative contacts with homosexuals that forged his views, something that soft western culture is mostly insulated from.

Whatever, none of them can lift manny's jockstrap, so more than a little envy demonstrated in their hate.

My guess is as a homeless kid on the street manny had hundreds of negative contacts with homosexuals that forged his views, something that soft western culture is mostly insulated from.

My guess is that like everyone who believes their holy book to be the literal word of God, he's a bigot and a hypocrite - witness his various adulteries and bearing false witness.

If you minded being parodied, you wouldn't behave like a raving loon.

My guess is that like everyone who believes their holy book to be the literal word of God, he's a bigot and a hypocrite - witness his various adulteries and bearing false witness.

If you minded being parodied, you wouldn't behave like a raving loon.

^ Bravo !

====================

--- The sheer mass of hatred and murderous threats expressed in the actions of governments and the people on the streets and antisocial media forums trumps the media baiting response of a Filipino kid by infinite magnitudes.

It strikes me that hitler was born too early. Today he wouldn't have to take over Europe, he could do everything off shore thru corporate structure and direct governments to make his wars and tap 3rd world backwaters for his disposable slaves.

Such is the backdrop from where a starving Filipino kid emerged to upset all the odds stacked against him. Those shielded by the thin veneer of their poorly constructed bubbles of moral hypocracy shouldn't be throwing rocks, but they do just as sure as they still stone people to death in the Middle East.

Manny made a bad mistake and has already paid the price far more than his poisonous critics ever had to endure from their own sheltered mistakes. Armchair self righteous indignitaries, keep the bile flowing, it becomes you.

Edited by LondonRingRules

Personally I mean he had it coming. All of Pacquiao statements are indirectly supported by Nike when they sponsor him. When Pacquiao comes with a statement like this, it's only natural that Nike want to condemn it and break all ties with him. Not only because of the moral issue of it, but without breaking ties with him Nike could risk loosing homosexual customers. Pacquiao should know better, despite his religion and country. When you're a public figure, you should think twice before saying something.

Many Pacquiao is entitled to his own opinion. He's lived his own life and regardless of whether he is right or wrong - I won't condemn him for holding an opinion.

He is entitled to his ignorance, and at least we know what to get him for Christmas now - a box set of nature documentaries.

Nike did a good job in dropping his sponsorship.

It is worth keeping such a relationship with that guy, you wouldn't want someone like him to promote nike.

No, what you'd want is someone nice and clean-cut who doesn't say anything embarrassing like "Gay people are worse than animals" or "I think sweatshops are used by companies who don't mind treating people worse than animals"

He is entitled to his ignorance, and at least we know what to get him for Christmas now - a box set of nature documentaries.

The only bit he got wrong was about Gay animals. The rest go with his religious beliefs. God says Homosexuality is a sin - he believes God's word. Is he supposed to change God's word cos the press and social media condemn it?

The only bit he got wrong was about Gay animals. The rest go with his religious beliefs. God says Homosexuality is a sin - he believes God's word. Is he supposed to change God's word cos the press and social media condemn it?

Come on Rob. You defending it just because he is a religious man and is following his religion? I don't think he is following the right type of that very religion. I'm sure the real Jesus, if he existed, would be against this. It just sounds like it was made up by someone judgmental and narrowminded, which was the average church officials' qualities in the old times and still are today obviously in places like Philippines.

Come on Rob. You defending it just because he is a religious man and is following his religion? I don't think he is following the right type of that very religion. I'm sure the real Jesus, if he existed, would be against this. It just sounds like it was made up by someone judgmental and narrowminded, which was the average church officials' qualities in the old times and still are today obviously in places like Philippines.

I can't judge you for your beliefs and I won't try. Only God will judge you.

The only bit he got wrong was about Gay animals.

Which is precisely the bit I take issue with, and it was the entire foundation of his argument - you don't see animals doing it because the animals know better, but we are miserable sinners etc etc. That and the usual selective quoting of "the bible(like there's a definitive "one") - note he had no issues with breaking a few of the 10 commandments?

Besides, the bible is not written by God, it's written by people claiming to quote God, and even then it's always second-hand information.

Edited by gavpowell

--- Self righteous bile written by the usual suspects.

End of the day, Manny has provided a huge positive for subjegated 3rd world countries. His critics lack the moral authority or intellectual authority that they claim.

Idiots here in the US still arguing over their settled 19th century civil war while enabling modern day slavery and war making technology to dominate countries that Manny comes from.

Their bile becomes them. Manny apologied for remarks he was baited into no doubt fueled by casual alcohol libations. His critics can never come clean because they lack his basic humanity.

I saw the interview clip on internet. It wasn’t even necessary for Pac-man to comment on homosexuals. There are bad interviews and there is this. For sure, he is going to miss least some count in his fan-base.

Unless you listened to it in full and in its original language, you don't know that he wasn't asked, to be fair. Besides, he's a would-be politician and religious fundamentalist - he's appealing to hardline bigots and the like in his target audience I think.