David Price new trainer announced - Good move?

The_budweiser

Joe Gallagher thought he had a good chance of getting David Price to join him in a recently video interview. However, Price has choose to team up with Dave Coldwell.

Price is ready to start a new chapter in his career, with a planned spot on the undercard of Callum Smith's WBC super-middleweight world title eliminator against Hadillah Mohoumadi in Liverpool on April 2.

Good move for Price?

Re: David Price new trainer announced - Good move?

David Price and Dave Coldwell have been acquaintance for long. They have been training together as mates for few years now. His promoter Nisse brought the question of hiring Coldwell as trainer. It wasn’t even Price’s decision, since he left Nisse to make the call. It should be a good move for price based on his promoter.

Price could bring Emmanual Steward back from the dead, to train him, and it probably wouldn't help.

Regardless, what do you figure Dave Coldwell brings to the party? What are his strengths?

Confidence as in the know each other, trained many times together, hopefully Coldwell can get the best out of Price. More info on the move @cableaddict - David Price confirms Dave Coldwell as his new trainer | Boxing News | Sky Sports

At 32-years-old I don't think he has much to offer, has a few loses but that didn't stop Chisora getting some title shots, maybe Price can emulate Chisora and get few title shots with some hard work and good negotiating from his promoter then retire financially secure.

At 32-years-old I don't think he has much to offer, has a few loses but that didn't stop Chisora getting some title shots, maybe Price can emulate Chisora and get few title shots with some hard work and good negotiating from his promoter then retire financially secure.

Yeah that's a valid outlook. . Price can certainly still make a few bucks in the sport. He could also be a very useful barometer for other guys on the way up, especially as he's so big & powerful.

Let's see if Coldwell can teach him some basic defense & head movement.

Yeah that's a valid outlook. . Price can certainly still make a few bucks in the sport. He could also be a very useful barometer for other guys on the way up, especially as he's so big & powerful.

Let's see if Coldwell can teach him some basic defense & head movement.

Yeah, he would make a good test for upcoming fighters.

If Joshua can win the IBF, due to the British connection a fight against the Price might be easy to sell in UK. And Joshua's team will see it as easy marketing and a low risk fight. Price would need to pick up a few wins first.

--- Prob Price won't risk Chisora, but that is a winnable fight for him that would justify an IBF defense.

The mean side of me would love to see tyson go thru him just to hear all the moans of pain over at boxrec for whom Price was a god gifted to them from the heavens and baptized in the waters of the greats like a modern day Achilles.

Edited by LondonRingRules

• 3 months later...

The No.1 Heavyweight from the Czech Republic, Vaclav Pejsar is Price's comeback opponent.

The 31-year-old has a 9-2, 8 Kos record. His two defeats were too Tom Schwarz and Andriy Rudenko (both on points). Only recognisable win is a 6th round TKo over Larry Olubamiwo.

Price's trainer, Dave Coldwell, wants a name after this fight and then a Joshua fight.

I've always liked Price but he's in a rough spot now. Fury has managed to do what Price was building himself towards and topple Klitschko, meanwhile Joshua has usurped the mantle of British heavyweight hope. And that's not even to mention the three pretty devastating stoppage losses. I hope he manages to shore up some of his weaknesses and moves forward as a fighter but I suspect best case is the plan above - position himself with a credible win and roll the dice against Joshua for decent money in a fight in which he is really up against it but always has that big right hand to keep him in with a chance.

Problem is, Price doesn't need a new trainer. He needs a new psychiatrist.

His main problem is inside his head. (What little might actually be in there.) During a fight, he gets that 'deer in the headlights" look in his eyes, freezes for a moment, and then it's over.

Rinse & repeat.

How do you fix that?

Price isn´t a boxer anymore. He took a devastating k.o in his last fight. He is mental fractured. This guy can´t take a single jab without going down. He reminds me a little bit of victor ortiz, who was once a promising contender but then hasn´t the mind of a boxer. He should retired.

The next time he fights a top 5 contender he could end up in the hospital for longer the last time against teper

I think that Price is really a glass jaw and does not have an adequate level of technique and power to balance this defect. This, unfortunately for him, it means always be a b level fighter for me

Price isn´t a boxer anymore. He took a devastating k.o in his last fight. He is mental fractured. This guy can´t take a single jab without going down. He reminds me a little bit of victor ortiz, who was once a promising contender but then hasn´t the mind of a boxer. He should retired.

The next time he fights a top 5 contender he could end up in the hospital for longer the last time against teper

Spot on. Like I wrote earlier, Price's main problem seems to be in his head.

Of course, if Tony Bellew is the new blueprint, maybe Pricey can get it together after all.