Jennings vs Ortiz this weekend

BoztheMadman

This is perhaps the most interesting fight this weekend, along with Lee-Saunders. Bryant Jennings has only lost to Klitschko, in a fight where Klitschko looked poor. Before that, he decisioned another Cuban threat, Mike Perez and tkoed Artur Szpilka. Luis Ortiz is 23-0 with 20 ko's and has steamrolled over pretty much everyone so far, including a ko of faded Monte Barrett. Will he prove to be a true threat to the throne or is he just an overrated puncher? What do you think? This is a classic boxer vs puncher fight. :boxing:

Re: Jennings vs Ortiz this weekend

Always wonder why the Cuban heavyweights that do turn pro never quite cut the mustard in the pro ranks. Remember Roberto Balado? He was the best Cuban heavyweight since Stevenson and Savon, sadly passed in a car accident.

Yea, that's true. All the way from Nino Valdes to Mike Perez and Odlanier Solis, Cuban heavyweights just couldn't fulfill that promise in pro ranks. But Stevenson and Savon never turned pro and they were the best of their heavyweights ever...

Edited by BoztheMadman

I remember Jorge Luis Gonzalez boxing Renaldo Snipes. That was one cruel display, really mocked and derided Mr Snipes, it was uncalled for. He too was found wanting after the Silence of the lambs press conference with Bowe and later against a resurging Witherspoon amongst others. (Witherspoon beat Mercer for me but the judges did not see what most saw).

Always wonder why the Cuban heavyweights that do turn pro never quite cut the mustard in the pro ranks. Remember Roberto Balado? He was the best Cuban heavyweight since Stevenson and Savon, sadly passed in a car accident.

Thing is, Ortiz doesn't really fight much like a Cuban. He's incredibly offensive-minded and aggressive.

Luckily, he also has those excellent Cuban defensive traits, including extremely good head movement. He's fast, powerful, and very athletic.

I'm a big fan of his and hope he's able to take Jennings out in spectacular fashion. This fight will tell us a LOT about whether he can hang with the elite HW's.

Edited by Cableaddict

Thing is, Ortiz doesn't really fight much like a Cuban. He's incredibly offensive-minded and aggressive.

Luckily, he also has those excellent Cuban defensive traits, including extremely good head movement. He's fast, powerful, and very athletic.

I'm a big fan of his and hope he's able to take Jennings out in spectacular fashion. This fight will tell us a LOT about whether he can hang with the elite HW's.

He doesn't look very athletic, lol. But I believe you. ;-) Cubans are known for their athleticism as well, usually. I hope this guy turns out to be as good as he looks. Cubans haven't won as many world titles as they should have.

He doesn't look very athletic, lol. But I believe you. ;-) Cubans are known for their athleticism as well, usually. I hope this guy turns out to be as good as he looks. Cubans haven't won as many world titles as they should have.

Watch any of his fights except vs Kayode. (Kayode can makes ANYONE look clumsy.) Try the Barrett fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKvKW4fg1aw

Look at Ortiz's balance. He almost never leans in, instead using his legs to close the distance. His stance is never too close or too wide, almost always giving perfect punch support.

Look at the defensive head & shoulder movement! That's as good as it gets. - Lovely Cuban training.

Look at how well he moves backwards, out of harms way. That's REALY impressive for a big guy.

Look at the hand speed - especially how he can land a hook to the body from waaaay outside, then immediately pull back again.

-----------------------

This is not "athletic" to you? Pray tell then, what HW (short of Wilder or Haye) is more athletic?

- And Ortiz won't fight like Wlad. He won't just throw a jab-right combo, then back off to rest 20 times per round. He's going to bring relentless pressure, as always. Jennings won't have time to rest, Jennings won't have time to think. Unless Ortiz grows old overnight, he just can't lose this one. (unless Jennings stays in survival mode & it goes to the judgess, in which case a robbery decision for Jennings is probably already on the cards.)

Edited by Cableaddict

Watch any of his fights except vs Kayode. (Kayode can makes ANYONE look clumsy.) Try the Barrett fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKvKW4fg1aw

Look at Ortiz's balance. He almost never leans in, instead using his legs to close the distance. His stance is never too close or too wide, almost alway giving perfect punch support.

Look at the defensive head & shoulder movement! That's as good as it gets. - Lovely Cuban training.

Look at how well he moves backwards, out of harms way. That's REALY impressive for a big guy.

Look at the hand speed - especially how he can land a hook to the body from waaaay outside, then immediately pull back again.

-----------------------

This is not "athletic" to you? Pray tell then, what HW (short of Wilder or Haye) is more athletic?

- And Ortiz won't fight like Wlad. He won't throw a jab-right, then back off to rest 20 times per round. He's going to bring relentless pressure, as always. Jennings won't have time to rest, Jennings won't have time to think. Unless Ortiz grows old overnight, he just can't lose this one. (unless Jennings stays in survival mode & it goes to the cards, in which case a robbery decision for Jennings is probably already on the cards.)

Relax, lol...I just meant he didn't LOOK athletic, his body and that. :laugh: Didn't even see him fight yet, to be honest, but he sounds like a formidable opponent for Jennings.

Relax, lol...I just meant he didn't LOOK athletic, his body and that. :laugh: Didn't even see him fight yet, to be honest, but he sounds like a formidable opponent for Jennings.

No worries, mate. I had a feeling that's what you meant. (And it's true.)

I'm a big Ortiz fan, so I don't mind expounding on his attributes.