Jacobs vs Quillin. First round thoughts?

The_budweiser

What did you guys think of the stoppage?

I thought Jacobs did everything well to force the referee into making a decision, but, I thought the referee should of gave Quillin an extra 2/3 seconds to see if his legs would of became stronger he seemed to jump in a tad too early. Maybe I am being too critical of the referee.

Thoughts????

Video: http://www.koboxingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Re: Jacobs stops Quillin in first round - thoughts?

The ref completely blew it.

Even though Quliin was hurt, he wasn't out of it. He was looking at Jacobs, not the ref, because there had been no knock down. ( ! ) Why would Quillin have looked at the ref? Jacobs could then have hit him at will. The fight was still going on.

I think the idiot ref was dazzled by all those punches Jacobs was throwing. - but 90% of them were blocked by Quillin. they weren't causing damage. Only ONE serious punch landed, and you don't stop a fight for that if there's no KD.

Just absurd.

I'm glad Jacobs won, and he most likely would have eventually, anyway, but you know the fix was in. All that pre-fight drama about his beating cancer & his tough upbringing, etc. The whole thing was a big drama show set up by the network, and they needed their happy ending.

Edited by Cableaddict

God Damn you. I've worked all weekend (nights) and avoided the results. Log in at 6.34 am after another hard shift, to get a download and the title of this topic has more than told me who won. :boxing21:

Will swiftly move to downloads :whistle:

It was Monday, Rob. :hug:

--- OK, Dock the dummy who stopped Kahbib to give Broner more impetus than he deserves in a reprehensible WBA title fight.

Dock also the dummy who allowed Algieri extra time on spaghetti legs against Provonikov who was blasting Algieri against the ropes the rest of the fight after the shotgun blast in the first, clear knockdowns by the rule book which in boxing is only selectively enforced as needed. In a highly limited defense of Dock, Quillin did do a little chicken dance as he was recovering his legs just as Dock bum rushed him to stop the fight. Dock doing the job the suits asked him to do, so watch for this dummy to get even bigger fights.

Poor Quillin must be bemoaning his soft development at the soft hands of Haymon not to mention the big payday he lost when he forfeited his bogus belt. Maybe he can come back from this, but at least Jacobs seems to be a good sort with a wonderfully fuzzy comeback story, however the dummy Ring Eds calling him prime was laughable. Yeah, prime age and I do wish Jacobs well, but after cancer he had, he's damn lucky to be alive and was never able to achieve his potential. Making the best of what he has for now is plenty enough in this weak division, so steer clear of GGG and maybe make some good money on the Brooklyn rematch to extend out the rest of his career.

--- OK, Dock the dummy who stopped Kahbib to give Broner more impetus than he deserves in a reprehensible WBA title fight.

Dock also the dummy who allowed Algieri extra time on spaghetti legs against Provonikov who was blasting Algieri against the ropes the rest of the fight after the shotgun blast in the first, clear knockdowns by the rule book which in boxing is only selectively enforced as needed. In a highly limited defense of Dock, Quillin did do a little chicken dance as he was recovering his legs just as Dock bum rushed him to stop the fight. Dock doing the job the suits asked him to do, so watch for this dummy to get even bigger fights.

Exactly. He has a great future ahead of him, sadly.

He was all over the place!! It's easy to make a call after dozens of replays and seeing where he was looking what he was doing etc in super slow mo, but the ref has split seconds to take in what he's seeing and make a decision.

There seemed to be 3 or 4 separate barrages / inflicting of damage and wobbly legs. His eye's looked rather glazed over as the ref came in and he wasn't exactly complaining to the ref.

Not as bad a stoppage as some are making out for me.

Cable, like LRR, if you think everything is a conspiracy why do you bother watching the sport? Find some enjoyment in something else instead than wasting your time.

Re: Jacobs vs Quillin. First round thoughts?

I wasn't thrilled with the stoppage. It was the 1st round, he didn't take tremendous amount of punishment, and he didn't go down. Fight might've ended soon after. Now we'll have to see a rematch to clear up this mess. Just watched that Cardle vs Dodd fight, another stupid ref stoppage.

I wasn't thrilled with the stoppage. It was the 1st round, he didn't take tremendous amount of punishment, and he didn't go down. Fight might've ended soon after. Now we'll have to see a rematch to clear up this mess. Just watched that Cardle vs Dodd fight, another stupid ref stoppage.

Exactly.

And his eyes weren't glazed. Some fans are just seeing that because they want to, or saying Quillin didn't look at the ref. Again, Quillin was looking at Jacobs, not the ref, because the fight was still active, there had been no stoppage.

The ref either blew it, or was looking for a chance to give it to the house fighter. Whether or not you think Jacobs would have won anyway, those are the facts.

The ref also robbed the fans of a satisfying and conclusive finish, as @repsac wrote.

And his eyes weren't glazed..

How can you see that?? The footage I've seen isn't zoomed in on his eyes, it's a wide shot showing the ring as a whole. The referee could see his eyes, chose to stop it and received no argument from Quillin. I'm ok with that, even though I thought he'd be given chance to recover himself a bit.

Delighted not to have to endure Quillin propaganda anymore though - hope Jacobs finishes the job in the rematch.

I am however sick and tired of seeing "boixing fans" on Youtube and the like saying "He should been given a standing 8 count." Learn the fucking rules.

How can you see that?? The footage I've seen isn't zoomed in on his eyes, it's a wide shot showing the ring as a whole. The referee could see his eyes, chose to stop it and received no argument from Quillin. I'm ok with that, even though I thought he'd be given chance to recover himself a bit.

I can see that because he was staring right at Jacobs, who was all the way across the ring. If Qiliin's eyes were glazed, he wouldn't have been looking right at him like that. Taking YOUR point further, how are some fans literally claiming Qullin's pupils were dialated? So absurd.

I can see that because he was staring right at Jacobs, who was all the way across the ring. If Qiliin's eyes were glazed, he wouldn't have been looking right at him like that. Taking YOUR point further, how are some fans literally claiming Qullin's pupils were dialated? So absurd.

Just because he was pointing in the right direction doesn't mean he was all there - the only one who could see his eyes was the ref, so I can't see how anyone can make any claims one way or the other.

Just because he was pointing in the right direction doesn't mean he was all there - the only one who could see his eyes was the ref, so I can't see how anyone can make any claims one way or the other.

He was staring right at Jacobs, and bouncing up & down on his toes. How much more ready could he have looked?

Granted, only the ref really saw his eyes, and he did get a good look, but Harvey Dock had just totally blown it by pulling Jacobs back, so he was flustered & embarrassed, and likely couldn't think straight. Stopping the fight was the only thing he could do to keep from looking like an idiot. Plus, you KNOW he was told to favor Jacobs. The network wanted their Cinderella story. - And they got it.

Edited by Cableaddict

Plus, you KNOW he was told to favor Jacobs. The network wanted their Cinderella story. - And they got it.

Well if your theory holds true, Quillin is as corrupt as everyone else involved and allowed them to throw the fight, given he not only made no protest at the time but subsequently endorsed the ref's decision and suggested future referees should do the same as Dock did.

Just because you don't like the result doesn't mean it's a conspiracy - there's certainly been evidence of corruption in the past, but cockups happen and so do legitimate decisions taken by people with a closer view of the situation than a TV camera. Without proof, you got nothin'

He was staring right at Jacobs, and bouncing up & down on his toes. How much more ready could he have looked?

Granted, only the ref really saw his eyes, and he did get a good look, but Harvey Dock had just totally blown it by pulling Jacobs back, so he was flustered & embarrassed, and likely couldn't think straight. Stopping the fight was the only thing he could do to keep from looking like an idiot. Plus, you KNOW he was told to favor Jacobs. The network wanted their Cinderella story. - And they got it.

This place is becoming conspiracy theory central!!

If you think THAT was bouncing on his toes, and not staggering without having a clue where he is or what his legs are doing, you need some serious help!!

You make some good arguements and posts regarding boxers and fights, but you often throw mud at other fans when it you doing the very thing you are accusing others of!!

"Some fans are just seeing that because they want to"....for instance!!

Bouncing on his toes ready :haha: