Povetkin delays his fight with Wilder !

Cableaddict

Re: Povetkin delays his fight with Wilder !

Tell me again, who's ducking who?

According to Box Nation's Buncey, Povetkin just announced that he's asking the WBC to remove his status as Wilder's mandatory, because he won't be ready to fight him until at least May 2016.

You can't make this stuff up, folks.

Seems a strange decision - especially to make it public. Maybe, Povetkin has another money making fight lined up or his promoter and Al Haymon have an understanding. Could be Povetkin isn't confident of fighting Wilder in the US.

If it is true (Steve Bunce may well be wrong) then Wilder can get another couple of defenses in. Hopefully, Wilder vs Malik Scott 2 isn't on the cards for Deontay, as know one wants to see that. Did predict that Scott would beat oldman Tony the Tiger. :)

Deontay could get 2, maybe 3, fights in before Povetkin. Who would you chose for those fights, Cable?

Deontay could get 2, maybe 3, fights in before Povetkin. Who would you chose for those fights, Cable?

Well, that's the problem, isn't it?

What a crap division. (The top 20, that is. Plenty of talent down below.)

Certainly Jennings would be interesting, but only to see if Wilder could do what Wlad couldn't.

Fury is an obvious choice, but he's not likely going to survive Wlad, and then his stock will be even lower than Jennings'.

Ortiz would make a great & exciting opponent, but he's too high risk, without enough name recognition, for team Wilder. (sad to say.) Still that's a conceivable fight. Someone just needs to kill Al Haymon first. I mean six feet under.

A Stiverne rematch will probably happen in the near future. It would be another blowout, but a lot of people believe Stivern's bullshit about having rabdo, and a lot of folks just plain hate Wilder, so it would likely sell.

AJ? IMO Wilder would kill that over-hyped pretty boy, and his team knows it. So expect him to bark a lot as long as they don't let him off of his leash. If AJ can take out Whyte, and in impressive fashion, then I'll change my mind and Joshua - Wilder suddenly becomes somewhat viable. (Note AJ's absurd #10 ranking as of this week.) - But I seriously think Whyte is going to take Joshua out.

It would also be amazing if Wilder would give a shot to one of the really serious prospects, like Aaron Greene, Bogdan Dinu, Dillian Whyte, Dominic Breazeale, Joseph Parker, Parker's stablemate Izuagbe Ugonoh, or Keith Tapia. Every one of these guys would pose a serious threat (To Wlad, as well) but of course none are going to step that far up within the next year.

Edited by Cableaddict

Well, that's the problem, isn't it?

What a crap division. (The top 20, that is. Plenty of talent down below.)

Certainly Jennings would be interesting, but only to see if Wilder could do what Wlad couldn't.

Fury is an obvious choice, but he's not likely going to survive Wlad, and then his stock will be even lower than Jennings'.

Ortiz would make a great & exciting opponent, but he's too high risk, without enough name recognition, for team Wilder. (sad to say.) Still that's a conceivable fight. Someone just needs to kill Al Haymon first. I mean six feet under.

A Stiverne rematch will probably happen in the near future. It would be another blowout, but a lot of people believe Stivern's bullshit about having rabdo, and a lot of folks just plain hate Wilder, so it would likely sell.

AJ? IMO Wilder would kill that over-hyped pretty boy, and his team knows it. So expect him to bark a lot as long as they don't let him off of his leash. If AJ can take out Whyte, and in impressive fashion, then I'll change my mind and Joshua - Wilder suddenly becomes somewhat viable. (Note AJ's absurd #10 ranking as of this week.) - But I seriously think Whyte is going to take Joshua out.

It would also be amazing if Wilder would give a shot to one of the really serious prospects, like Aaron Greene, Bogdan Dinu, Dillian Whyte, Dominic Breazeale, Joseph Parker, Parker's stablemate Izuagbe Ugonoh, or Keith Tapia. Every one of these guys would pose a serious threat (To Wlad, as well) but of course none are going to step that far up within the next year.

Jennings vs Ortiz fighting for the interim WBA heavyweight title, so taking a different route.

Heavyweights Bryant Jennings and Luis Ortiz set to battle

Heavyweights Bryant Jennings and Luis Ortiz set to battle - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Stiverne fighting soon, so a win will likely lead to a rematch. All the prospects unlikely though Charles Martin or Gerald Washington may get the call up. Too early to consider Parker or Joshua - there handlers will move at their own pace.

Arreola is floating around and looking unimpressive but has name value. Agree, there ain't much around.

--- See nothing mentioned about Povetkin giving up mandatory in WBC convention updates.

Instead they confirmed his mandatory status and have given Wilder another voluntary defense if he wants it for Jan 16. WBC anticipates Povetkin/Wilder to be held in April or May.

WBC 53rd convention report: Day 3 ? Mandatory Defenses and More | Boxing News | Fightnews

--- See nothing mentioned about Povetkin giving up mandatory in WBC convention updates.

Instead they confirmed his mandatory status and have given Wilder another voluntary defense if he wants it for Jan 16. WBC anticipates Povetkin/Wilder to be held in April or May.

WBC 53rd convention report: Day 3 ? Mandatory Defenses and More | Boxing News | Fightnews

Yeah, it looks like the WBC caved in. They SHOULD have stripped Povetkin of his mandatory status, which is why Buncey said that, I guess.

So Wilder will go at least 1 1/2 years without any serious defense. Just ridiculous.

--- Never understood your point in that I never saw a change in status.

Povetkin will fight Wilder next year as we all expected and Wilder gets another soft defense as we all expected. At any rate, Wach is a much tougher customer than the delicate Wilder, so Povetkin is doing the right prep against a really tall, really strong, really durable top heavy. Now he has plenty of prep time for Wilder who will be distracted by softer comp as his minions blow smoke up his keister.

Anyone think Wilder and his team will see this as an opportunity not to be forced into a dangerous fight with Povetkin and try to line up a Klitschko shot (assuming he beats Fury)?

I expect it's on their minds, yes.

In all seriousness, I think Povetkin (today's Povetkin, obviously juiced to the gills and lightning fast) is a much more dangerous opponent for Wilder than Wlad. Stylistically he's Wilder's worst nightmare.