GGG vs David Lemieux

james kerry

Re: GGG vs David Lemieux

It's a fascinating fight, but I'm not too worried for Golovkin.

We haven't seen him face a big puncher since, well, Stevens I guess. - And in that fight, he took very few chances. Golovkin is a fighter that often doesn't mind getting hit a little, if that means he can stay in the pocket, control the fight, and be ready for every mistake his opponent makes. It lets him "keep his eye on the prize," much like Kovalev. Also, he uses a lot of head slips and partial diffusion, and seems to have a great sense of when a punch can hurt him vs when it can't. It's not even that he's picked up bad habits with some of his recent, non-potent opposition, he simply adjusts his style based on his opponents' power.

Lemieux definitely has a puncher's chance, even a very decent chance, but you'd have to be insane to bet on him.

Interestingly enough, I think Gonzalez - Viloria has just about the exact same dynamic going on.

Viloria is powerful & dangerous, but as long as Chocolatito fights smart, uses his speed & head movement and doesn't do anything stupid, the slower Viloria will not find an answer. If Gonzalez gets to aggressive and stays in the pocket too much, then Viloria has a decent chance of landing some bombs.

Edited by Cableaddict

Like a lot of other people, I see Lemieux having some success in early exchanges but beyond 4 founds GGG will break him down and stop him. GGG has shown enough in the chin department to show he isn't isn't overly vulnerable to getting clipped and stopped unless he walks on to something huge (which I don't expect him to). Looking forward to the early fireworks!

I think Golovkin has two major assets that Lemieux doesn´t have:

He is really tough, stays completely cool under fire and never does anything wild. A true professional!

His condition is also much better than Lemieux´.

Both can bang, but I think Lemieux will wilt once he tastes the power of Golovkin. I predict an early to mid round KO for Golovkin.

I think Golovkin has two major assets that Lemieux doesn´t have:

He is really tough, stays completely cool under fire and never does anything wild. A true professional!

His condition is also much better than Lemieux´.

Both can bang, but I think Lemieux will wilt once he tastes the power of Golovkin. I predict an early to mid round KO for Golovkin.

I agree with everything except Lemieux's conditioning. I think he's in MORE better shape than in years past. He looked great at the end of the Rosado fight. Golovkin may wear him down, with body shots & relentless stalking, but I doubt Lemieux will gas out.

--- Couple of notes:

Ten days out and Lemieux was at 175 and G approx 10 lbs lighter, so on fight nite he may well be 10-15 lbs heavier and the stronger.

Reports are Viloria had an all time camp whereas Choco has been struggling with weight and new glory of glowing expectations.

End of the day, I think G may surprise with his boxing and Choco may struggle with Viloria.

If Lemieux has the power to knock GGG down, we have an interesting fight.

Of course he does! In fact, I'd guess that Lemieux actually hits harder than Golovkin. The problem is, when he throws those huge bombs, he tends to leave himself open, and Golovkin is one of the deadliest counterpunchers in the game.

Of course he does! .

Not necessarily - Golovkin may have a chin like a mountainside, Chuvaloesque. He'[s never been off his feet, amateur or pro, so we don't know what it takes to put him down, and Lemieux's KO record is largely built on journeymen(though so is Golovkin's untiul the past couple of years or so). So many unknowns in this fight - can't wait to see it.

Not necessarily - Golovkin may have a chin like a mountainside, Chuvaloesque. He'[s never been off his feet, amateur or pro, so we don't know what it takes to put him down, and Lemieux's KO record is largely built on journeymen(though so is Golovkin's untiul the past couple of years or so). So many unknowns in this fight - can't wait to see it.

True dat. :tea:

Anyone any idea on the ring walk times for this (UK time)? Whats the undercard like?

I was up til 4am last night and only had 5 hours sleep so I wont be able to stay awake all night for this.......might set an alarm for it, maybe an early one if any of the undercard is gonna be worth watching?

I'm really looking forward to this fight. Not long to go now!

Been discussing this fight with a few casual boxing fans at work, they've seen Golovkin fight a few times before but like most people had never heard of Gonzalez so I've had to remind them to make sure they watch the undercard Gonzalez vs Viloria. :cool:

Anyone any idea on the ring walk times for this (UK time)? Whats the undercard like?

I was up til 4am last night and only had 5 hours sleep so I wont be able to stay awake all night for this.......might set an alarm for it, maybe an early one if any of the undercard is gonna be worth watching?

BoxNation schedule is 2-7am - Probably around 4.

Boxnation website says Roman Gonzalez vs Brian Viloria and Tureano Johnson vs Eamonn O'Kane from 2am. Not sure if they will show anything else.

I loved GGG defensive side of the game. Every time Lemieux threw a punch, especially early on, GGG either blocked or just took a step backwards to avoid the punch before deciding whether or not to counter back.

Cracking right hook in round 4 by GGG. Loved the ref's reaction, he lifted his chin in the air as if to say wow.

GGG shouldn't be punching a fighter when he was on his knees. I don't care who the boxer is but the ref should have done more, he bottled it. That wasn't accidental; he threw the punch after Lemieux was on the canvas, it wasn’t as if it was in the middle of a flurry.

I was disappointed in Lemieux, it was clear his game plan wasn’t working and instead of changing it he seemed to get more wreckless and desperate and it played right into GGG’s hands.