Andrew Selby turns Pro

WelshDevilRob

Andrew Selby has followed his world champion brother Lee Selby into the professional boxing ranks.

The 26-year-old is the younger sibling of the IBF featherweight king and after enjoying a stellar career as an amateur that included a world championship silver medal, has signed a deal with his brother's advisor Chris Sanigar.

Selby - a flyweight - said in a statement: "It was an honour to represent Team GB. I would like to thank Robert McCracken and all of the coaching team, management and backroom staff who supported me through my amateur career.

"I feel the time is right for me to pursue a pro boxing career and I can't wait for the big fights ahead."

In addition to his 2011 medal in Baku, the Welshman won a world championship bronze in Almaty two years later.

-------------------------

Very talented fighter. Done a couple of years in WSB. Good to see he's finally turned professional.

Re: Andrew Selby turns Pro

Exciting times, but 112/115 are pretty tough divisions world wide and he will likely need to either travel or get a promoter WILLING to toss money into his development if he's to have great success in the pro ranks. Sadly I'm expecting him to be another Kal Yafai who, years after debut, is still floundering about doing bugger all with their career.

• 1 month later...

hes an excellent boxer some of his amateur fighrs are truely class to watch. one against michael conlon stands out to me. an exceptional talent

Michael Conlon has to the potential to be special if he turns pro.

Michael Conlon has to the potential to be special if he turns pro.

i agree qith you and i wonder, with billy walsh the head trainer heading to tht US, how many of the irish top amateurs will stay at the unpaid ranks.

Andrew Selby is back in action tonight against 18-year-old Hungarian, Jozsef "Brutal" Ajtai (10-0, 6 KOs), at City Academy Sports Centre, Bristol, Avon. Show will be broadcast on SpikeTV (7.30pm) and Channel 5 (10.00pm) in the UK.

Card is headlined by Nick Blackwell (18 3 1) vs Jack Arnfield (19 1 0) for the BBBofC British middleweight title. Heavyweights Hughie Fury (16-0) and USA prospect Cassius Chaney (4-0), in separate bouts, along with Craig "The Kid" Kennedy (12-0) on the card.

Andrew Selby is back in action tonight against 18-year-old Hungarian, Jozsef "Brutal" Ajtai (10-0, 6 KOs), at City Academy Sports Centre, Bristol, Avon. Show will be broadcast on SpikeTV (7.30pm) and Channel 5 (10.00pm) in the UK.

Card is headlined by Nick Blackwell (18 3 1) vs Jack Arnfield (19 1 0) for the BBBofC British middleweight title. Heavyweights Hughie Fury (16-0) and USA prospect Cassius Chaney (4-0), in separate bouts, along with Craig "The Kid" Kennedy (12-0) on the card.

Not a great card, never been impressed with Hughie Lewis Fury-Larry O wont last a round with cassius. Young Fury also on the card

Early days for Young Selby but he did look good in his debut fight

Edit much better Hughie poor opponent but looked good-Not impressed with Young Fury though

Edited by WSMFC64