Klitschko-Fury "To Top £30m"

gavpowell

I do not understand this at all, but I just stumbled across an article on the Mirror website regarding the heavyweight title fight:

"Mick Hennessy says interest in the fight is huge. "We're already close to selling 40,000 tickets and it is guaranteed to be a 55,000 sell-out," he said.

"It's selling brilliantly and worldwide this fight could be worth more than £30million.""

By contrast, figures for Haye vs Klitschko seem to have been eastimated at around £20m.

Now, I love Fury as a fighter, and I'm a lifelong Klitschko fan, but even I'm torn over paying for the fight because it seems an obvious mismatch. Haye had a realistic chance of competing with Wlad and still got less than Fury.

Is Fury a much bigger draw than I realised? Do the Americans give the slightest toss about a fight between a Ukranian and a Mancunian in Germany?

EDIT: Forgot to cite source

Wladimir Klitschko vs Tyson Fury worth over £30m with heavyweight showdown set for 55,000 sell-out - Mirror Online

Edited by gavpowell

Re: Klitschko-Fury "To Top £30m"

I do not understand this at all, but I just stumbled across an article on the Mirror website regarding the heavyweight title fight:

By contrast, figures for Haye vs Klitschko seem to have been eastimated at around £20m.

Now, I love Fury as a fighter, and I'm a lifelong Klitschko fan, but even I'm torn over paying for the fight because it seems an obvious mismatch. Haye had a realistic chance of competing with Wlad and still got less than Fury.

Is Fury a much bigger draw than I realised? Do the Americans give the slightest toss about a fight between a Ukranian and a Mancunian in Germany?

Does meathead Mick always tell the truth? ;)

Wlad has a deal with HBO for this fight, he didn't for the Haye fight, IIRC that was on ESPN

Who the fuck is gonna pay to watch this? A few pretend pikies from Salford? This fight isnt going to top 30K nvm 30m.

Well, supposedly 55,000 people in attendance! I don't know much about travellers but Skav's said they've been present in numbers at Fury's British shows, so maybe there'll be vanloads of them crossing Europe to see one of their own? I'll watch it, but I'm certainly not bloody going to it.

if they pay £100 a-piece (which they wont, more like £40) that will only bring max £5m in..............still leaves £25m to find.

German telly, British telly, Irish telly and American telly I guess - fighters get well paid because someone somewhere thinks it's an investment. I still haven't figured out how Showtime can possibly have made a profit on a quarter of a billion dollars for Mayweather's services - however much I admire Mayweather's skills, he's not worth more than fiver a fight.

I definitely haven't noticed - Klitschko regularly scores knockdowns and knockouts, whereas Floyd tends to play it safe even if his guy gets a bit wobbly(Marquez). I would think however much he holds, Klitschko would have a bit more appeal to the casuals because it's the heavyweight division and he's a puncher.

I went to see Wlad vs. Jennings at Madison Square Garden. I paid $100 for nosebleed seats. As soon as i got there i was informed my section wasn't open to the public for tonight. That i was being relocated 2 levels down. Then on the HBO broadcast i hear Lampley excitedly saying that tonights card was a sell out. Umm ok, if you say so.

I'm off to Germany for the fight. I think you all underestimate how mental the Germans go for Wlad. They sell out stadiums for him fighting 6 foot nobodies, never mind an bigger, undefeated guy.

Yeah but as selij said, you don't get 30 million from 55,000 people.

TV (Plenty of that from markets as varied as US, UK, Germany and Ireland to Japan (WOWOW) and I suspect China, Russia, Poland, Hungary, Thailand (CH8 have been picking up more international shows recently))

Sponsorship

TV Advertising maybe? (Wlad has been accused of dragging fights out due to TV adverts on German TV)

Site fee?

Government involvement? (a run on effect is that it will bring 20K+ Brits to Germany allowing local hotels etc to make plenty of dough)

I went to see Wlad vs. Jennings at Madison Square Garden. I paid $100 for nosebleed seats. As soon as i got there i was informed my section wasn't open to the public for tonight. That i was being relocated 2 levels down. Then on the HBO broadcast i hear Lampley excitedly saying that tonights card was a sell out. Umm ok, if you say so.

--- Consider the source.

Future HOFer if not already, what passes as boxing today.

if they pay £100 a-piece (which they wont, more like £40) that will only bring max £5m in..............still leaves £25m to find.

I suppose you didn't go to school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO DOUBLE POSTING - SELIJ (ADMIN)

15 thousand tickets at £26

10 thousand tickets at £50

10 thousand tickets at £100

And so on and so on

Plus PPV plus advertising etc etc

You should give up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO TREBLE POSTING - SELIJ (ADMIN) - INFRACTION GIVEN

I suppose you didn't go to school

You should give up

And you should fuck off making personal remarks or you will be banned before you even start. How do you know what education I did or didnt receive you ignorant bastard?