Rare Photo of Eddie Futch as a young man

davemurphy

Thought this was interesting, most of us only remember Eddie as an Old man working with Bowe in his Eighties, or at least working with Frazier when he was in his Sixties. I wish I knew the year of this photo and his age, but I'm assuming it was even before he started training with Joe Louis (Louis liked sparring with the much smaller Eddie, who he found nearly impossible to hit. Little Eddie obviously had to be quick on his feet with the Brown Bomber lol). Anyway, this is the only picture I've ever seen of Eddie Futch as a young man.

famoustrainer_zpsb42c4c98.jpg.2e2d6d1ff75a65e5b190772197021613.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: Rare Photo of Eddie Futch as a young man

Almost missed this. Great trainer but I honestly don't recall anything about him as a fighter. How good was he?

Rob-

He won the Detroit Golden Gloves as an Amateur Lightweight, but they discovered a heart murmur and he retired from the Ring and never turned Pro. He did keep working out in the Gym and because he was in the Brewster Center training with Joe Louis, he got to spar with Louis (despite being about 60 pounds lighter) who liked working with Eddie because he was nearly impossible for him to hit. Eddie said later that it his main objective working with Joe was just staying alive :laugh: That was in the mid-1930's and he switched to being a Trainer, and although he had some local success, he didn't have a world champion until Don Jordan in 1958.

Re: Rare Photo of Eddie Futch as a young man

That's surreal.

I know. It was posted to another site with a "I never fought professionally but was a famous Trainer, who am I?" attached and even then it took awhile for somebody to get it.