Forgotten Champions: Eddie Perkins

BoztheMadman

One of the finest junior welterweights of the 60's was Eddie Perkins. Not only did he win three world titles, he also defeated Duilio Loi, something only two other fighters can claim, Carlos Ortiz and Jørgen Johansen. Perkins was a slick boxer who wasn't a very hard puncher but had some pop and scored a knockout in one of his world title fights. He was one of the smartest fighters of his era. He was short for his division at 5'5 but had a rather big reach of 68". He was inducted into the IBHOF in 2008. Despite all these achievements, too few people today know of him. That is why I chose to make this thread.

Born on 3 March 1937 in Clarksdale, Mississippi, he moved with his family to Chicago at one years old. His interest in boxing was fostered by his backyard fights with his neighborhood friends. He soon joined a gym owned by Joe Louis. He started boxing as amateur, compiling a record of 26-10 and winning the Chicago lightweight championship. He turned pro 27 December 1956 but lost his first fight by UD6 to the much more experienced Norman Johnson. He also lost the next one in January to Jerry Jordan by SD4, but beat Jordan by the same result in the rematch in April, thus winning his first pro fight. He fought mostly in Chicago early on and his career was a mixed bag. He lost 4 more decisions and then in November 1959 he was stopped for the first time by Alfredo Urbina, a solid Mexican contender, by a corner retirement in 6. In August 1960 he beat Joey Lopes, who would later fight Flash Elorde for the world 130-pound title, by TKO 7. He also decisioned noted Italian contender Paolo Rosi, before scoring his first really pivotal victory over the 20-0-2 Carlos Hernandez; fighting away in Caracas, where his opponent was from, Perkins snatched a 10-round decision against the hard-hitting Hernandez, 12 June 1961. He then somewhat surprisingly got a fight against the world light welter champion Duilio Loi, perhaps the greatest Italian boxer ever. The fight was in Milan, 21 October 1961, at Pallazzo dello Sport. The bout was remarkably listless and uneventful and Loi suffered a sprained muscle in his right arm in round 7, which limited him to fighting with the left hand for the rest of the fight, which was 15 rounds. In the end, One judge favored the home favorite, the other the American underdog, and the third had it even.

Perkins stopped the Philly contender Mel Middleton by TKO 8 in his next fight, after buckling his knees with a punch on the chin and followed it with a barrage of left hooks and right hands to end the fight. The rematch with Loi happened 14 September 1962, once again in Milan. This time, it was far more eventful than the first one and Perkins, despite slipping to the canvas in round one and getting pushed down in round 14, battered Loi for most of the fight to win by a unanimous decision and thus became a world champion for the first time, aged 25. "I'm offering Loi a chance to fight me again if he wants it. But I also have a number of other plans in mind - like meeting Carlos Ortiz for the lightweight title", Perkins said. "I will fight one or two more times just for the sake of my fans and then I will withdraw from boxing. I do not think I was beaten this time, but maybe I am getting old", were Loi's words. Loi took his chance and they had a third fight 15 December that year, again in Milan. Perkins was better in the first half, but Loi closed strong to snatch the decision and with it, Perkins' belt. It was Loi's last fight. Perkins then fought for both the WBC and WBA titles against Roberto Cruz of Manila, in Cruz's hometown, 15 June 1963. Cruz had a significant height advantage of 4 inches, but was also 4 years older. He had won the WBC title before that with a stunning first-round KO of Battling Torres. Perkins dominated the fight, putting Cruz down briefly in round one and in the end winning by a clear unanimous decision. He was now the unified champion, the only champion in his division.

For his first defense he went to Japan to fight Yoshinori Takahashi, 23-2 at the time and the Oriental welterweight champion. Perkins produced his only knockout victory as the champion when he won by a KO 13 after being clearly ahead for 12 rounds. His second defense was against the former Commonwealth lightweight champion, Bunny Grant of Jamaica. Perkins showed himself as a gracious champion when he agreed to come to Kingston, capital of Jamaica and fight Grant. Refereed by Willie Pep, who was also a judge, Perkins made his second successful defense with the scores of 147-140 (from Pep), 148-139 and 145-141. Few would have expected his former conquest Carlos "Morocho" Hernandez to end his championship reign, since Hernandez was in comparison to Perkins unpolished and a pure puncher. Once again, Perkins went to his opponent's hometown to defend but this time he was denied, losing by a questionable split decision. The referee and judge Henry Armstrong gave Perkins the fight by as much as 150-139, 11 points. But a decision, as we all know by now, can't be reversed. He was now no longer the champion. It was 18 January 1965 and on 3 August that year, Perkins faced Jose Napoles, one of the greatest welterweights ever. Napoles put him down for an eight-count in round 6 and won by a shutout on all cards after 10 rounds. Perkins then rebounded by beating Kenny Lane by UD12, knocking him down twice.

Perkins also fought Nicolino Locche and lost to him by UD10 in Argentina in August 1967. Perkins' last victories of note were against Adolph Pruitt, Angel Robinson Garcia, Borge Krogh and Clyde Gray, all by 10-round decisions. He also knocked out Johan Orsolics in 4 and Pedro Adigue, former WBC champion, by TKO 5. He became a welterweight in 1970 and won the NABF title there against Armando Muniz by SD12, 30 January 1973. His last victory was against Japanese contender Ryu Sorimachi, another UD10. He lost his last 4 fights, first one to Rocky Mattioli, but was never stopped again. In the end, he retired in 1975 after 18 1/2 years as a pro, with a record of 74 (21), 20 and 3. Eddie Perkins died 10 May 2012, at 75. He was a very capable fighter who defeated some fine fighters and is the only man to get a clear victory over Duilio Loi. He is also the only man not to come out of their trilogy losing, like Carlos Ortiz.