Video - Froch: Calzaghe didn't fight me because he knew I was going to beat him

The_budweiser

Frochs at it again........

Carl Froch thinks that he would have beaten Joe Calzaghe had the fight he wanted with the Welshman happened.

In a revealing documentary to be screened on ITV4, Froch says that he thinks Calzaghe wouldn't agree to the fight as he knew he would have lost.

The two never went head-to-head despite Froch repeatedly calling for the fight.

"That was a fight I wanted," Froch told ITV Sport. "He was WBC champion, everyone knew who he was. It was a massive fight back then - I think it would still be a big fight now. I think Joe Calzaghe knew that I was going to beat him."

Froch's coach, Rob McCracken, added: "He (Calzaghe) didn't see it as a big enough fight at the time, obviously Carl and we saw it differently."

Barry McGuigan says it was a shame the fight never took place: "Calzaghe might have been too clever for him, but it would have been a hell of a fight, and it's a pity that didn't happen."

Watch a sneak preview of the show in the video player above.

Froch: Calzaghe didn'''t fight me because he knew I was going to beat him - ITV News

Watch Carl Froch: Sports Life Stories at 10pm on ITV4, Tuesday 14th April

Re: Video - Froch: Calzaghe didn't fight me because he knew I was going to beat him

I think the current Froch would give Calzahe more problems. However, it wouldn't of been the current Froch, Calzaghe would of fought.

Calzaghe every day of the week would of won hands down.

Sour Grapes Mr Froch.

Re: Video - Froch: Calzaghe didn't fight me because he knew I was going to beat him

JC would of totally frustrated Froch and of outclassed him.Wide UD for me.

The fight was never going to happen at the time Froch was calling JC out because tbh he bought nothing to the table finance wise,no upside for JC.Fighters at different levels career wise.

Froch has certainly provided and challenged a lot of world class fighters,for me JC a level above.

JC would of totally frustrated Froch and of outclassed him.Wide UD for me.

The fight was never going to happen at the time Froch was calling JC out because tbh he bought nothing to the table finance wise

I find it hard to believe Froch-Calzaghe at the Millennium Stadium or somewhere couldn't have generated good money.

It probably worked out well that they didn't fight. It was high risk, low reward for Calzaghe and an early loss for Froch (he was only Euro level at the time), may have done lasting damage to his reputation in the long term. As it happened Froch went on to fight all and sundry, winning world titles and earning a good repuatation as a world level fighter, while Calzaghe sealed his legacy in his own way.