Anthony Joshua - pick his next 5 opponents

The 25-year-old heavyweight from Watford, England recently scored a crushing win over veteran Kevin Johnson. The Olympic Super-Heavyweight Gold medalist, is now 13-0, 13 KOs in the paid ranks.

He is getting a lot of attention and is seen as a future Heavyweight Champion of the World. His next contest is in July and then another in September.

Who would you like to see him fight in his next 5 fights, starting with his July fight?

Re: Anthony Joshua - pick his next 5 opponents

1. Dillian White

Not seen much of this guy, but after reading up a bit, it could make an interesting grudge match.

2. David Price

It just has to happen, two big punchers, first to land should win.

3. Tony Thompson

A good gatekeeper for upcoming fighters.

4. Dereck Chisora

Should provide some rounds, but ultimately will lose to AJ.

5. Bermane Stiverne

Ex champ gave Wilder a good test, another fight that gets rounds and experience under the belt.

David Price - prove he's capable of beating a guy proven at British level. Fury is still British champion but I think a bridge too far at this stage, so either force Fury to vacate and take the vacant belt, or:

Manuel Charr - a bit more durable, a southpaw and a proper Euro-level heavyweight

Dillian Whyte - similar to Fury-Belshaw; if there's a rivalry, take advantage and settle the score

then either Duhuapas or Erkin Teper - solid European fighters, both Joshua's size, neither too big a risk.

David price seriously it would be over within 5 rounds, I think this would be sensible next fight but David price would be daft to take domestic fight can't win.

Stiverne would be decent step up but not sure if they would want to risk it yet.

Tyson fury is the obvious choice, don't think he'd beat Joshua.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In order of difficulty:

Huey Fury

Dominic Breazelle

Luis Ortiz

Dillian Whyte

Joseph Parker

-------------------------

Every one of these guys is massively dangerous for AJ. They would all test his extremely suspect defense. Any one of them would be his first real challenge as a pro, and would make for a great, fan-friendly fight.

I would expect him to lose to Whyte & Parker. Both of them are extremely athletic, aggressive, and able to get in & out quickly. If AJ has holes in his defense, he'll be in deep waters with these two guys.

Edited by Cableaddict

There's also a very exciting USA HW named Aaron Greene who would pose a great test for AJ. Greene is currently 16 (14) - 0, against your typical roster of cabbies, but he looks very good. Sadly, he's already 33 y-o, and is the classic "high risk / low reward" kind of fighter that gets ignored into eventual retirement. (Like Amir Mansour.)

And you think Price would be mad to take the fight? Fury is mandatory to the heavyweight champion - he's even less likely to want to take any chances. Although to be honest, I'm not sure how anyone can think Joshua could definitely beat even someone like Price, given the level he's been fighting at so far - he's made so little progress he's impossible to judge beyond "he's way better than this rubbish"

I've seen David Price fight three times and I thought he was the real deal but as fellow merseysider I'm gutted that I really don't think he has any kind of a chance.

Fury may be mandatory but he's so deluded and off his head he thinks he's unbeatable. I think his ego would get better of him.

I would want to see deontay wilder fight.

--- If he could beat Fury he wouldn't be fighting the Kevin Johnsons, Loves, and Gaverns.

It's debatable if he could beat any heavy rated in the 20s on boxrec. There's a few he could handle, but someone like Lucas Browne or Artur Szpilka would probably be favored over him. That's the type of comp he probably starts facing next year we hope for.

--- If he could beat Fury he wouldn't be fighting the Kevin Johnsons, Loves, and Gaverns.

There's no doubt they are taking it slow and his opposition has been limited but he's much better than this. I don't like fury so maybe I'm a little blinkered but I love David Price just don't think he'd stand a chance.

Tony Thompson was supposed to be an easy opponent for price and he flattened him.

He has no chin [emoji12]

Alright, so he could beat Price, but equally, Price might land first! None of our heavyweights have great chins actually - Haye, Harrison, Sprott, Price, Fury, Joshua. I suppose Skelton's chin was pretty good, but the rest of him wasn't!

Alright, so he could beat Price, but equally, Price might land first! None of our heavyweights have great chins actually - Haye, Harrison, Sprott, Price, Fury, Joshua. I suppose Skelton's chin was pretty good, but the rest of him wasn't!

Suppose his chin is untested, God forbid I agree with you on this. Suppose we'll find out soon enough how good he is. I agree re Skelton.

I defo go to watch Joshua v price even if I do think it'll be over quick. Like them both.

Some of the suggestions in this topic are ridiculous. Luckily for Anthony, he has a promoter who wants to make money.

Well if we're going to take Eddie Hearn's bank balance into consideration rather than what's best for Joshua's prospects as a fighter, I withdraw all my suggestions and substitute five fights with the guys who contested the most recent heavyweight Prizefighter.

Well if we're going to take Eddie Hearn's bank balance into consideration rather than what's best for Joshua's prospects as a fighter, I withdraw all my suggestions and substitute five fights with the guys who contested the most recent heavyweight Prizefighter.

Exactly, money will be eddies motivation for everything. In his best interest to string it out. Not in Joshua's best interest though, don't improve if you don't get challenged.

Ideally:

1. Dillian Whyte (he looks like the best available for July)

2. John McDermott (still in tune-up mode, but I don't mind the fight considering it could build up to Chisora or Price...maybe even Fury some time down the road)

3. Dereck Chisora-Alexander Ustinov winner

4. Tony Thompson

5. Vyacheslav Glazkov/Steve Cunningham (either has his benefits... if they fight again, which they should, Joshua boxes the winner. This moves him up to world title contention where he belongs in five fights' time)

If he would rather take it slow and clear out the British scene, fine:

1. Dillian White

2. John McDermott

3. Ian Lewison (Could switch order with White for all I care)

4. Dereck Chisora

5. David Price

(then maybe Parker and H. Fury, both potentially top fifteen contenders by then and those fights having built up some... Tyson Fury within a couple of fights if he beats Huey, and a title shot within a year if he doesn't lose against this opposition)

Marius Wach-not the. most skilled guy

but is big and has a

helluva chin.will give A.J.

. some rounds.

Dillian Whyte-Has actually the ambition

to beat AJ(what his last

opponents lacked).and

their amateur rivalery.

David Price-Big guy that can match AJ

in size and can punch.

Bermane Stiverne-Former champ that

can punch and take

a punch.went the

distance with Wilder.

Povetkin-Nothing to explain here.he got

everything.I actually think by

the time AJ faces him

Povetkin will have a green belt

(Sophia)around his waist.

My Five would be:

Dillian Whyte (14-0, 11 KOs) - vacant British title

Eddie Chambers (41-4, 22 KOs)

David Price (19-2, 16 KOs) or Erkan Teper (14-0, 9 KOs) - EBU Heavyweight title

Alexander Ustinov (30-1, 21 KOs)

Manuel Charr (28-3, 16 KOs)

All the fighters have their own career ambitions and a range of styles and sizes. I've said Price or Teper, as they are scheduled to meet in Germany in July for the European title.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Dillian White

2. David Price

3. Gary Cornish

4. Hughie Fury

5. Dereck Chisora or Robert Helenius

I don't think they will push him that fast Michael.

Looks like one of my picks may be right - Gary Cornish.

The Daily Mail are reporting Cornish is expected to fight Joshua at the O2 Arena on September 12th. I'm a bit surprised even though I had him in my list as it wasn't too long ago his team said they wanted to guide Cornish to a world title in 5/6 fights.

---

Anthony Joshua is closing in on a bout with Gary Cornish ahead of an expected clash against his former amateur rival Dillian Whyte later this year.

The heavyweight will return to London’s O2 Arena, the scene of his second-round knockout victory over a hapless Kevin Johnson, on September 12.

He will not fight on Manchester’s July 18 card, Martin Murray taking his place, and has just arrived back from holiday in readiness for his next challenge in two months.

It is understood that Scot Cornish - with 21 wins, 12 knockouts and promoted by Kellie Maloney - will provide Joshua’s next test. Joshua’s record of not being taken beyond a third round in any of his 13 professional fights should remain intact, although Cornish is bidding to become Scotland’s first ever heavyweight champion.

‘The initial opponent we were trying to get organised was Dillian. He’s someone who’s beaten me as an amateur and been vocal about fighting me,’ Joshua told Sportsmail. ‘We took up the offer and were very interested. We spoke to him, he seemed interested, but when it came to the final stages he wasn’t up for September - he wants a bit more time, which I understand.

‘It’s a tough fight for both of us so we’ve both got to prepare.

‘Gary Cornish is a very good opponent. We went up to Scotland once before and the atmosphere was unbelievable. He’s a big, strong guy. He’s someone I’d like to box.

‘That’d be perfect for setting me up for boxing Whyte later in the year. Not really style wise, but definitely to build up that momentum. It’ll build me towards the Whyte fight.

‘Dillian is another stepping stone. I’ve higher ambitions than beating someone who is 14-0. The only issue I have is that he should stop talking about me and focus on his own career. If his ambitions are to beat me he’s got the wrong mindset. He should be aiming higher than that. I don’t understand why he’s so sprung on beating someone like me.

‘It surprises me because you should want to beat the best in the world. I’m not the best in the world yet. People ask if he’s my rival? No, he’s not a threat to me.’

Joshua’s promoter Hearn claims his fighter is ready to show a darker side when Whyte comes calling, something the 25-year-old doesn’t necessarily agree with.

‘I am who I am,’ laughed Joshua. ‘It’s business. Nobody wants to be taken advantage of and wants respect. That’s all I ask. I don’t storm into Eddie’s office, holding him up to the ceiling like “get me on September 12”.

‘Being friendly with everyone is good but you need respect. That’s what I try and demand from Eddie and he demands that from me too. In the ring you’ve got to have that killer instinct.

‘This [knockouts] is what I should be doing to these opponents. If I wasn’t knocking them out or beating them I don’t think I’d have much of a chance of being a champion. I am knocking them out and it’s great, but hang on a minute - this is what I’m supposed to do.’

Source: Daily Mail