Greatest British Fighter of All-time?

WelshDevilRob

Greatest British Fighter of All-time?

Ko Magazines Top 20 British fighters (a few Years old)

1. Lennox Lewis

2. Jimmy Wilde

3. Jim Driscoll

4. Freddy Welsh

5. Ted "Kid" Lewis

6. Ken Buchanan

7. Randolph Turpin

8. Benny Lynch

9. Owen Moran

10. John Conteh

11. Naseem Hamed

12. John H. Stracey

13. Peter Kane

14. Herol Graham

15. Chris Eubank

16. Nigel Benn

17. Howard Winstone

18. Alan Minter

19. Jim Watt

20. Freddie Mills

-------------------

The Ring Magazines Top 10 of All-time. (Abit more upto date)

1. Jimmy Wilde (137-5-2, 99 KOs; 1910-23): One of biggest punchers pound-for-pound ever

2. Ted “Kid” Lewis (232-44-24, 80 KOs; 1909-29): Second greatest Jewish fighter after Benny Leonard

3. Jackie “Kid” Berg (157-26-9, 61 KOs; 1924-45): Fought and beat many of America’s best

4. Joe Calzghe (46-0, 32 KOs; 1993-present): Perfect record is impressive but had few meaningful victories

5. Jim Driscoll (63-4-6, 39 KOs; 1901-19): Went 3-0 against the great George Dixon and beat Abe Attell

6. Benny Lynch (81-12-15, 34 KOs; 1931-3: Alcoholism curtailed his career and life

7. Ken Buchanan (61-8, 27 KOs; 1965-82): Had misfortune of being a contemporary of Roberto Duran

8. Lennox Lewis (41-2-1, 32 KOs; 1989-2003): Greatest British heavyweight of all-time

9. Owen Moran (65-19-8, 19 KOs; 1900-16): Had wars with some of the best little men ever

10. Randy Turpin (66-8-1, 45 KOs; 1946-64): Only the second man to beat the great Sugar Ray Robinson.

Five more: John Conteh, Nasem Hamed, Lloyd Honeygan, Barry McGuigan and Freddie Mills.

Note: Bob Fitzsimmons and Freddie Welsh, both British by birth, fought primarily outside Europe.

Source: RingTV

---------------------

Where would you rate boxers like Ricky Hatton, Carl Froch, David Haye and Joe Calzaghe on that list? Have they done enough to be included?

What's your Top 10 Greatest British Fighters?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4. Joe Calzghe, his style make other fighter looks silly always luved him

i choose him for sure

Really? I know Joe has many fans, but I just never got him. Disliked his style, and as he lacked any charisma he just never won me over.

Eubank is deffo one of my favourite British fighters .... maybe that has something to with my dislike of Joe mlol//

Can't say I've seen any Wilde fights, might need to do a bit of digging.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's a discussion I steer clear of I just don't think you can pick 1 or even the top ten to me you can only pick the best at their weight in their era, there are some many differences between when for instance Jimmy Wild was boxing & when Naz was, training methods diet & the general welfare of boxers is totally different all this pitting one of today's champs against one of the old timers is pointless.

All I will say is that if those old guys had the benefit of today's conditions it would have made for some interesting matches, but there again if Jimmy had been fully nourished would he have had the same fire in his belly it's that sort of question we can never answer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think WelshDevilRob's list just about covers it, although no-ones mentioning Robin Reid or Richard 'The Dream' Williams. Just kidding,.. Its funny how New Zealand and Australuia also claim Bob Fitzsimmons- everyone likes a winner I guess. John Conte, from my family's home town also rates highly in my estimation, if not for bad timing and his lifestyle excesses who knows.

Curious that the Ring top 10 didnt rate Naseem hamed considering how dominant he was...