Greatest British Fighter of All-time?

WelshDevilRob

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Greatest British Fighter of All-time?

I don't have him above Eubank and Benn, but I do agree that Herrol Graham is under-appreciated.

He quite possibly was as he was a gifted fighter, but Chris and Nigel we're stand out fighters of true quality that made big fights and won world titles, it's crazy to have someone with significantly less career achievement ahead of them!

I can almost see that, Herol was very tricky and skilled but he came up short in the title fights. So at least based on merits, he doesn't belong there.

Threads like this are always good for debate but sometimes I wonder about the sanity of the people compiling the lists :mlol:

1. Jimmy Wylde

2. Freddie Welsh

3. Joe Calzaghe

4. Chris Eubank

5. Randy Turpin

6. Lloyd Honeyghan

7. Naseem Hamed

8. Lennox Lewis

9. Ken Buchanan

10. Alan Minter

Where is ted kid Lewis and jack kid berg

He quite possibly was as he was a gifted fighter, but Chris and Nigel we're stand out fighters of true quality that made big fights and won world titles, it's crazy to have someone with significantly less career achievement ahead of them!

----- If you look at the current Ring staff comments that came out of Broner's recent elevation into elite Ring p4p status, it's the elevation of "potential" that has entered into their decision making.

Roy Tiger Williams and Jeff Candy Slim Merrit would top their current heavy rankings if they were fighting today, and just think how far Pancho Bojado could've gone with his potential?

If you read the comments sometimes accompanying these lists, often the prevailing impetus is who beats who head to head in a fan boy fantasy fight where conditions and contracts are not specified. In other words, no logic as to performance in their era, just specious speculation.

----- If you look at the current Ring staff comments that came out of Broner's recent elevation into elite Ring p4p status, it's the elevation of "potential" that has entered into their decision making.

Roy Tiger Williams and Jeff Candy Slim Merrit would top their current heavy rankings if they were fighting today, and just think how far Pancho Bojado could've gone with his potential?

If you read the comments sometimes accompanying these lists, often the prevailing impetus is who beats who head to head in a fan boy fantasy fight where conditions and contracts are not specified. In other words, no logic as to performance in their era, just specious speculation.

It's completely bizarre that potential can elevate anyones status, actual achievement is all that matters when any list is made!

• 3 years later...

No Len Harvey? Guy had a record of 122-14-10 and was the best British middleweight and light heavyweight of his time. He was even the Commonwealth champ at heavyweight, three divisions altogether. Beat the very Afro-Canadian heavyweight Larry Gains thrice, beat Jack Petersen the Commonwealth heavyweight champion, beat Jock McAvoy three times as well and went the distance against John Henry Lewis in a world title bout and against Marcel Thil also in a world title bout and was only stopped twice, by the aforementioned Jack Peterson and Freddie Mills, at the end of his career. He was 35. He fought for 22 years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

jimmy wilde 132[99]3[3]1 won his first 93 fights 1 draw before losing to tancy lee held the world flyweight title 1916-23 other men to beat him where pete herman and pancho villa not bad men to lose to

I wouldn't argue with Jimmy Wilde being number 1. To win his first 93 fights, is simply incredible! I am not an expert on old time British fighters so I cannot argue anyones case really.