Ricky Burns moves up to light-welterweight division

WelshDevilRob

Former WBO super featherweight and lightweight champion Ricky Burns is moving up to light-welterweight in a bid to win a third world title.

The Scot lost his lightweight title in March and was defeated in his comeback fight three months later.

But the 31-year-old Coatbridge fighter's manager, Alex Morrison, says Burns will be a better boxer at a weight heavier than the 130lb limit.

"Ricky was finding it increasingly harder to make the weight," he said.

"He was virtually eating nothing before the weigh in and I think that had a lot to do with his last three performances."

There had even been speculation that Burns might retire after a controversial draw with Mexican Raymundo Beltran was followed by a defeat by American Terence Crawford, then a failed attempt to win the WBC international lightweight title against Dejan Zlaticanin.

"If he is [retiring] he hasn't told me and I spoke to him two days ago and I think he would be the first to tell me," Morrison told BBC Scotland.

"He is just looking forward to October and fighting at the new weight. We're planning on him winning a third world title."

Burns has long been linked with a fight with fellow Scot and former WBO featherweight champion Scott Harrison.

Morrison said Burns would not rule out a bout against the Glaswegian - who has made a comeback at the age of 37 after time in jail in the UK and Spain - but that any contest had to be financially rewarding.

"If the purse was right, he would consider it, but at the moment he doesn't need Harrison," said the manager.

Morrison confirmed that Burns would fight on 4 October in Leeds, although an opponent has yet to be named, and the plan was to follow that with another contest in Glasgow in November.

However, he believes another world title fight will not be too far away.

"I would think it would be early next year, in Glasgow," revealed Morrison.

Source:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/28866471

Good move for Ricky? How do you think he will do at the higher weight?

Re: Ricky Burns moves up to light-welterweight division

Bad move when you had your jaw shattered by an average, top 10 Lightweight and were physically overpowered against another one.

I don't think he can fend off the likes of Matthysse, Peterson, Provodnikov and Garcia. Algieri, Herrera, Vargas, even the likes of Postol, Perez, Taylor, Dulorme, and Spadafora might be able to compromise his limitations as a boxer.

At best, he can try to push past guys like Allakhvierdiev, Novikov (if you consider them that after Vargas fights and signing with Top Rank...for Burns sake, I hope you don't), Aydin, Magomedov, and Giacon to get atop European level, but Aydin's one-punch power, Giacon's boxing and sneaky power, as well as Magomedov's aggression could be too much.

I see him fighting against the likes of Limond and Hamilton in the twilight of his career, and perhaps even a fight with Scott Harrison eventually or "greeting" some of the the up-and-coming Brits to the big time...this is a much deeper division than he's seen. I think this was a poor move. Some more weight isn't going to help Burns fix his career.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

Bad move when you had your jaw shattered by an average, top 10 Lightweight and were physically overpowered against another one.

I don't think he can fend off the likes of Matthysse, Peterson, Provodnikov and Garcia. Algieri, Herrera, Vargas, even the likes of Postol, Perez, Taylor, Dulorme, and Spadafora might be able to compromise his limitations as a boxer.

At best, he can try to push past guys like Allakhvierdiev, Novikov (if you consider them that after Vargas fights and signing with Top Rank...for Burns sake, I hope you don't), Aydin, Magomedov, and Giacon to get atop European level, but Aydin's one-punch power, Giacon's boxing and sneaky power, as well as Magomedov's aggression could be too much.

I see him fighting against the likes of Limond and Hamilton in the twilight of his career, and perhaps even a fight with Scott Harrison eventually or "greeting" some of the the up-and-coming Brits to the big time...this is a much deeper division than he's seen. I think this was a poor move. Some more weight isn't going to help Burns fix his career.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

No power, no confidence, questionable chin, heart gone - This is the end of Ricky Burns.

He should be moving down a weight not up.

I think they are aiming at only British fights @QBoxing before retiring with a decent amount of money in his bank.......

No power, no confidence, questionable chin, heart gone - This is the end of Ricky Burns.

I think they are aiming at only British fights @QBoxing before retiring with a decent amount of money in his bank.......

Totally agreed. Even then, I'm not exactly assured he could win big fights.

Burns relied on certain assets to be a world class fighter, champion. He should be proud of what he has done, but he's extremely average in terms of boxing skill, but could always gut it out if need be. Now, not so much.

I hope he can cash out with a domestic title win, but I surely can't expect him to crack the top ten at 140, just not possible.

--- That's almost always been a proven disaster for a big mature boxer tight at the weight.

Let him close out his career domestically in the style he chooses. Surely he's earned at least that much respect and might be lucky enough to be selected for a new light hitting champ's first defense. Hairryson first though!:smiley-signs023:

Listen............I really like Burns, always have done. My take on this: Ricky, just have one last hurrah vs. Scott and call it a day mate - big payday - a massive crowd puller and then please retire mate, win or lose. And forget everything else.

Guest Burns Army

Burns best days are behind him.

He over achieved in many ways picking up two WBO titles - He did better than expected.

Limond would be a good fight for Glasgow, Scotland but I’m not sure if there is any TV Money in that.

The sad truth is that with the demise of Ricky Burns we won’t be seeing any big-time boxing in Scotland for many years.

Iain Butcher our next star?

I don't think Ricky is quite "spent", but the fact he couldn't punch for sh*t at super featherweight, an didn't fare much better at lightweight, bar the impressive Mitchell stoppage, means a step up to Light Welter, really doesn't make sense to me.

He hasn't been the same fighter since he broke his jaw to be honest.

He used to win bouts through relentless pressure and sheer will, but now that's gone, he's lost his only real A+ talent and has to scrap it out against people he would have walked over in the past.

Burns best days are behind him.

He over achieved in many ways picking up two WBO titles - He did better than expected.

Limond would be a good fight for Glasgow, Scotland but I’m not sure if there is any TV Money in that.

The sad truth is that with the demise of Ricky Burns we won’t be seeing any big-time boxing in Scotland for many years.

Iain Butcher our next star?

How far has he dropped if he has to look at the likes of Limond???? He had his time now he should step down!!

Ricky Burns always comes across extremely well and he seems a genuinely nice bloke. However, I don't think he will be a force beyond the domestic and European scene at 140-pounds.

The obvious fights to make are Burns against Willie Limond or Scott Harrison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The obvious fights to make are Burns against Willie Limond or Scott Harrison.

--- Willie and his Hands of Steel may be a mountain too high for the brittle chin of Burns to cross.

Give me the besotted Hairryson every day and twice on Sundays for a right proper donnybrook...

http://www.fightnewsextra.com/cc/mexicanfiesta/poster.jpg

Ricky Burns must win in Leeds

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/ec1220ba3c4d4d333aa439f4e90c31ad_S.jpg

Ricky Burns will return to the ring on October 4th at the First Direct Arena in Leeds, England, in what will be his first bout in the light welterweight division, against an as yet unnamed opponent. Back to back defeats have severely dented the reputation of the former two-weight world champion, and another setback in West Yorkshire could spell the end of Burns' inspiring and unexpectedly successful career.

More...

Ricky Burns always comes across extremely well and he seems a genuinely nice bloke. However, I don't think he will be a force beyond the domestic and European scene at 140-pounds.

People said that of him at both previous weights, before he DID make the step up to world level, and didn't just touch on it, he was very convincing and proven among the elite.

Truth be told, there's not a huge amount of talent at 140 lbs nowadays, so I would say it's premature to write the guy off completely.

He needs to regain his confidence and fast if he wants to do anything though.

Free-punching and volume-punching like he demonstrated on many occasions in the past, is difficult for any fighter to overcome on the scorecards.