Brook v Porter Result

gavpowell

Kell Brook is the new IBF welterweight champion of the world, after a gruelling 12-round siege with Shaun Porter.

Porter came in fast, head down like a bull in a china shop, wrestling, shoving and mauling for all he was worth, while landing thudding shots from all angles as Brook hung on limply and waited for space to work.

The fight ebbed and flowed in a fairly tedious way until a little after the halfway mark, as Porter, cut(the result of a head clash, which was also the cause of a cut to Brook in round 2) and breathing heavily at times, seemed to losemuch of his early wildman ,momentum and Brook started landing clean counters and managed to get his jab working sporadically, but still never quite managed to find any rhythm or urgency, despite shaking Porter a couple of times.

The scores were 114-114(Parris), 177-111(Italian judge whose name I missed) and 116-112(Byrd), and frankly I think everyone was shocked to hear Brook's name announced given Porter was the home fighter and had shown more aggression throughout.

I've never been a Brook fan, and this fight has done nothing to endear him to me, but after a few rounds I was starting to hope he'd win purely because I think Porter fights like a cross between Hopkins and Bika.

For all the efforts of the Sky commentary team, I'm not convinced Brook belongs in the elite and I expect him to be deposed in fairly short order.

Re: Brook v Porter Result

What an awful fight to sit through. Both fighters were horrible and the ref should have sorted it out very early in that grapple fest. Brook's champion but its not a fight that he can cover himself in glory with. And they were mentioning a rematch? No thanks. Unless Joe Cortez gets drafted in for it.

What an awful fight to sit through. Both fighters were horrible and the ref should have sorted it out very early in that grapple fest. Brook's champion but its not a fight that he can cover himself in glory with. And they were mentioning a rematch? No thanks. Unless Joe Cortez gets drafted in for it.

I can't complain when I sat through Bika-Dirrell II just a short time before this, but, agreed. A rematch isn't too tempting because we learned all we will from seeing Porter fight Brook, and their styles don't go well together.

I scored this fight 116-112 for Kell Brook. I could even stretch as far as 117-111. Brook did everything he could to negate all of Porter's advantages and fully utilize his own skill and footwork. Brook landed at will, and did everything that he could right, and that's why he's a world champion now.

I can't see scoring the fight to Porter, who simply failed to be effective and cut through that one-two from Brook, ate counters left and right. Kell dealt with the pressure much better than I had imagined, he holds up much better when under fire than Alexander, and definitely Malignaggi. Porter couldn't win doing what he did, it just wasn't enough.

I thought it was pretty poor from both throughout but had Brook dominating from the 7th onwards to win by a round. But when the scores were read out I would have bet my mortgage that "and still..." was soon to follow.

A Brit challenger, fighting on the back foot, in the US, against an aggressive come-forward American champion, and two yank judges give it to him 117-111 and 116-112?? Never seen the like of it.

I enjoyed the fight and thought Brook did a very good job in containing Porter and making him look like an amateur. I am a fan of technical fighters and appreciated the little nuances in Brook's style which gave Porter fits. Frank Galarza, who I know personally, helped Brook in his preparations for this fight and mentioned that he was surprised with Brook's power. Watching the fight, I am sure Porter was also surprised and was clearly hurt in a few occassions. In my opinion, Brook should fight Khan next and I give him a very good chance at beating him. Should he get past Khan, I think a fight against Thurman makes sense and money for him. He's in a great place right now and he should try to retain the title as long as possible because you never know if Mayweather will make good on his promise to fight in the UK...

80% of boxing media score for Brook over Porter

The high number surprised me although as the you will see on the article the ave score was close. I scored it 114-114.

The 117-111 score i feel is far too wide.

so how did you all score the fight?

here is the article with all the scores...... Nine members of the press believe Shawn Porter deserved the decision against Kell Brook | Boxing News - boxing news, results, rankings, schedules since 1909

Re: 80% of boxing media score for Brook over Porter

The high number surprised me although as the you will see on the article the ave score was close. I scored it 114-114.

The 117-111 score i feel is far too wide.

so how did you all score the fight?

here is the article with all the scores...... Nine members of the press believe Shawn Porter deserved the decision against Kell Brook | Boxing News - boxing news, results, rankings, schedules since 1909

--- It's plainer than stink on stink that boxing has a problem when in effect nobody really knows the score. Can you imagine what a stink pro golf, baseball, basketball, and US/Euro football would be like if they used the boxing 10 point must system?

It's utterly appalling that the long time "bible" rag couldn't muster a single case being made for The Special Stinker winning prior, but how quickly everyone has rolled over making him the newest annointed big thing in boxing. I don't care what anyone thinks, 100% of me scored 100% for Porter with the only 10 point rounds TSS receiving being a couple of 10-10 rounds late in the fight. Without Porter there would've been no fight as I've already seen the best TSS could do against Carson Jones and it was poor to say the least.

That this terrible card was in Cali where Porter has no fan base and GB has complete control of the commish as Hearn and Oscar look to do some male bonding over their self manufacture Khan/TSS superfights says it all. That they are first talking a domestic defense against the horrid Bundu now explains the Gavin decision fully for me. Gavin knows how to box. Stink knows how to hold and pose and pose and hold in no particular order and he poses better than Bundu.

That's fine, just so I know the true score = whatever the scores disagree with each other gives me all I need to put the more obvious canned aspects of boxing in context which is really the way it's always been historically.

Re: 80% of boxing media score for Brook over Porter

--- It's plainer than stink on stink that boxing has a problem when in effect nobody really knows the score. Can you imagine what a stink pro golf, baseball, basketball, and US/Euro football would be like if they used the boxing 10 point must system?

It's utterly appalling that the long time "bible" rag couldn't muster a single case being made for The Special Stinker winning prior, but how quickly everyone has rolled over making him the newest annointed big thing in boxing. I don't care what anyone thinks, 100% of me scored 100% for Porter with the only 10 point rounds TSS receiving being a couple of 10-10 rounds late in the fight. Without Porter there would've been no fight as I've already seen the best TSS could do against Carson Jones and it was poor to say the least.

That this terrible card was in Cali where Porter has no fan base and GB has complete control of the commish as Hearn and Oscar look to do some male bonding over their self manufacture Khan/TSS superfights says it all. That they are first talking a domestic defense against the horrid Bundu now explains the Gavin decision fully for me. Gavin knows how to box. Stink knows how to hold and pose and pose and hold in no particular order and he poses better than Bundu.

That's fine, just so I know the true score = whatever the scores disagree with each other gives me all I need to put the more obvious canned aspects of boxing in context which is really the way it's always been historically.

Awwww, would you like a hug?

I don't know how anyone could enjoy that fight. I found it very boring their styles just didn't gel from the first to the last bell.

I expected more from Porter and Brook in a world title fight, neither to me seemed as if they really wanted it.

I scored the fight to Brook by 2 rounds but I couldn't give him it by anymore like the judges did. I wouldn't complain about Dave Parris scorecard as some of the rounds were tough to score with all the cuddling.

The right fighter won for me.

Was the right decision but as others have said it was an awful fight. Glad I didnt stay up for it live. Very scrappy with very few stand out moments or exchanges.

Hopefully now Brook is a champ and will have mandatories he'll fight more than once or twice every 18 months and actually have a go at being a professional boxer.