Writer Ted Sares boxing articles - Ted the Bull

The_budweiser

Katsidis vs. Earl - Dangerous Redoux

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/9539b0b6004e941956aca6fe54346a94_S.jpg

Katsidis vs. Earl-Dangerous Redoux There will be no trilogy—Michel Katsidis*** "Ever since our last fight together I was promised a rematch and the chance to get my revenge,"— Graham Earle

More...

Bermane Stiverne in Retrospect

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/35101d240ec36d85191717a01ddd0984_S.jpg

Back in 2007 I wrote an article titled “Three Lesser known Fighters to watch in 2007: Bermane Stiverne, Vernon Paris & Sergio Martinez.” Paris has fizzled but Sergio has more than met my expectations. As for Bermane “B.Ware” Stiverne, it took him a while but he has finally reached center stage.*

More...

Mike Alvarado in One War Too Many?

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/508050bc5eac3b807d5fa8da13caf391_S.jpg

Mike Alvarado showed he has the boxing acumen to ignore his brawler’s instinct and effectively outbox his more aggressive opponent. But that was against base-level brawler Brandon Rios. Juan Manuel Marquez is a master technician with more than 20 years’ experience—Tim Harrison

More...

Froch vs. Groves: The Quintessential Dust-Up

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/647e5a56d052e3beeb7fc3d2ee1b332e_S.jpg

The main thing Froch has to change is his attitude. We know his footwork is terrible and his style of boxing is ugly. We didn’t have to see the first Groves fight to find that out. He disregarded Groves on every level – personally, professionally and in ability – and didn’t think he [Groves] belonged in a ring with him—Johnny Nelson George Groves (13-0) is a 23 year old Brit who fights like a veteran with both style and the ability to close. Ted Sares. August 12, 2011 (ESB)

More...

Cotto vs. Martinez: Prediction

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/dcbe96397a9e2277d6a9f767097d772c_S.jpg

It would be impossible for me to be at a higher level. No human being can be more powerful than I am. That’s what Cotto’s going up against. He’s facing me at my best in the ring. I’m sure Cotto only took the fight after seeing my fight against Martin Murray.”—Sergio Martinez*“I think we win in four rounds…“Miguel's ring generalship alone will win this fight.”Freddie Roach“Freddie Roach is excellent at telling jokes…” –Martinez

More...

Remembering Steve Collins

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/9ab76eb88745df49e8288ecc3878aaf5_S.jpg

I‘ll fight him [Roy Jones] in a phone box in front of two men and a dog. ---Steve Collins “...it's like having your teeth broken...Yeah, sickening. That's what it felt like, it was sickening....you feel the searing pain, then it's gone in an instant.”----- Collins describing what it's like being hit by Nigel Benn In his last fight, Steve was floored heavily in 30 seconds by a blown-up journeyman, only to bounce off the canvas, impose his strength and deliver the most perfect of right hands to leave Craig Cummings horizontal in that very same round. It was the best punch he threw in his entire career…--Lee Callan. June 14, 2011.

More...

This Apple fell far from the tree

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/d92901afd283da6cbbd11b80355fcead_S.jpg

James McGirt Jr., Carlos De Leon Jr., Marvis Frazier, and Buster Mathis Jr. all had good runs in the pro ranks, though they never came close to achieving what their fathers did. Others like Aaron Pryor Jr., Tim Witherspoon Jr., Wilford Scypion Jr., and George Foreman Jr.didn’t do quite as well. Julio Ceasar Chavez Jr;, Carlos Zarate, Jr., Chris Eubank Jr., Wilfredo Vazquez Jr and Jorge Paez Jr. are presently doing quite well.

More...

Tracking Greatness: Lomachenko

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/d0d0165fb6746ed1b903392832d3864b_S.jpg

Back in October 2013, I wrote (on another site) the following about Vasyl Anatoliyovich Lomachenko and his upcoming fight with Jose Ramirez ‘‘He reminds me of the Olympians from the ‘76 and ‘84 (American) teams, like (Sugar Ray) Leonard, (Leon and Michael) Spinks, (Evander) Holyfield, (Pernell) Whitaker, (Mark) Breland. They were ready to face established pros from Day One.’’—Carl Moretti (Yahoo Sports) “Jose “Negro” Ramirez (25-3) recently shocked Filipino Rey “Boom Boom” Bautista (34-2) in an ugly and sometimes dirty brawl featuring head butts and elbows to win the WBO International featherweight title and he did it in Davao City, Philippines, no less. “Negro” has been flying under the radar as most of his work has been done south of the border in and around Mexicali. In fact, his astonishing win over Bautista was his very first bout outside of Mexico where he won his first 20 professional fights out of the gate.

More...

• 3 weeks later...

Rabbiting in Vegas

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/9d68730ad5c08e170b2ab59d94f025e1_S.jpg

I’ll give him a rematch when he learns how to fight.- Canelo** * I’ll fight anyone, whether they move or not, he was the one doing all the talking and in the end no one wants to go to his school”—Canelo Lara is a fool for fighting that fight thinking he would take it on the cards. He clamed to be a master boxer, who craved stardom and that Canelo didn’t belong, well prove it then?!... If you are going to fight a poster child of boxing, then make sure you leave no doubt at all.—BLH Poster named TommyDanger "I felt I was totally in control. It didn't seem like he was doing anything. I know one thing, 100 percent I made him look bad in front of all of his people. Everyone knows I won the fight, no matter what they say."--Lara

More...

Re: Rabbiting in Vegas

"I felt I was totally in control. It didn't seem like he was doing anything. I know one thing, 100 percent I made him look bad in front of all of his people. Everyone knows I won the fight, no matter what they say."--Lara

More...

--- All I can say to Lady Lara is good luck in your next gig equating spoiling with winning. Selling rotten apples ain't ever been easy.

The irony of his basic style completely outclassing before emphatically closing a similar fight in the Tomoki Kameda(Mexican trained)/Singyu bout seems lost to him though to be fair he may not have seen that undercard fight. Kameda spent much time running from the pressing former champ Singyu, but only after delivering blistering combinations and booming single shots. I did not think he would be able to keep the pace of such a strong offense with the running of extra distance, but it didn't matter when he landed El Gancho that dropped Singyu like a busted sack of beans.

Chris Algieri also blatantly ran to win a controversial decision against Provo, but again, he at least turned to significantly exchange before going on the run again and exchanged more at ring center. In short, he fought more than Lara regardless of the controversy. Lara didn't show up for his biggest fight in spite of having experienced similar results in previous fights he complained about, but he got a million bucks for running around. Not a bad gig, so I look for more of the same by him as he returns to root around in his usual modest purses hoping to find another crown jewel to fight. Just imagine the stench of Lara/Floydy.

Boxing is ultimately to blame by having such open subjectivity to their scoring rules with inconsistent enforcement when they make fights like this. In a high end fight like this where you have very well trained fighters in an obvious style clash, the officiating tends to be at a grade C level because the scoring regulations are purposely designed to be subjective so they can be varied from fight to fight.

The core of modern scoring here with my (comments):

Clean punching: “Clean” punches are punches that land on the face/side of the head and the front/side of the torso. (Modern pro judges have moved to Olympic type tap-tap scoring where body punches are almost never counted, this fight being one of the few exceptions. Notice the blatant lack of direction regarding light tap tap punches verse booming, staggering shots.)

Effective aggressiveness: A boxer demonstrates this trait when he consistently and successfully moves forward in a controlled manner. (We’ve seen too many aggressive offensive onslaughts ignored by judges, the most blatant examples are Ponce de Leon and Paulie Malignaggi dominating Adrian Broner with punches and ring generalship yet losing the fight. Alvarez stayed in balance as he pressed whereas Lara often mixed teetering with his skeetering and almost never moved forward)

Ring generalship: The judges favor the fighter who controls the pace and style of the bout. (Judges in the criminal justice system and boxing actually favor wealthy defendants with high powered attorneys and big money fighters with big promoters. Always have and forever it shall be notable exceptions not withstanding. In this case I guess Lara claims he controlled the pace by running extra distance to make Canelo try to hunt him down)

Defense: Boxers that skillfully incorporate defensive maneuvers receive credit in this area.(Simply running is not is not the traditional defense of staying in the combat range as the fighter slipped, ducked, blocked and countered effectively, skillfully being another key word ignored. Twisting into a pretzel below the beltline is not skillful defense, it’s cowering much like flopping to the ground to buy time in the old bare knuckle days that London Prize Ring Rules corrected)

• 2 weeks later...

GGG Wins, but Dock Makes “Atrocious” Call

GGG Wins, but Dock Makes “Atrocious” Call “You want good show, just call me.” Gennady Golovkin He [GGG] punches like a mule.—Carl Froch Things opened up with a dreadfully boring 12-rounder (which I believe Michael Buffer announced as a ten round fight) between Mike Perez and Bryant Jennings—a close fight in which referee Harvey Dock took away a point in the last round enabling Jennings to win. The judges were split, scoring the bout 114-113 Perez, 114-113 Jennings and 115-112 Jennings.*

More...

Re: GGG Wins, but Dock Makes “Atrocious” Call

Some buffoonery occurred in the first round of the GGG-Geale fight which actually went 4 minutes. Was the time keeper mesmerized by Golovkin’s skills or did he or she just fall asleep. Geale then tripped over a cameraman’s gear that was too far into the ring. Someone needs to be banned for that kind of mishap.

More...

--- Hah, and this one of the NY commish better efforts of late!

Perez also tapped out one of the the video cams that was dead in his face on the ropes as he fell forward in chase of Jennings. They got Perez back though when Dock docked him good in that last round. That'll teach Perez not to mess with the Big Apple!

Re: Rabbiting in Vegas

--- All I can say to Lady Lara is good luck in your next gig equating spoiling with winning. Selling rotten apples ain't ever been easy.

The irony of his basic style completely outclassing before emphatically closing a similar fight in the Tomoki Kameda(Mexican trained)/Singyu bout seems lost to him though to be fair he may not have seen that undercard fight. Kameda spent much time running from the pressing former champ Singyu, but only after delivering blistering combinations and booming single shots. I did not think he would be able to keep the pace of such a strong offense with the running of extra distance, but it didn't matter when he landed El Gancho that dropped Singyu like a busted sack of beans.

Chris Algieri also blatantly ran to win a controversial decision against Provo, but again, he at least turned to significantly exchange before going on the run again and exchanged more at ring center. In short, he fought more than Lara regardless of the controversy. Lara didn't show up for his biggest fight in spite of having experienced similar results in previous fights he complained about, but he got a million bucks for running around. Not a bad gig, so I look for more of the same by him as he returns to root around in his usual modest purses hoping to find another crown jewel to fight. Just imagine the stench of Lara/Floydy.

Boxing is ultimately to blame by having such open subjectivity to their scoring rules with inconsistent enforcement when they make fights like this. In a high end fight like this where you have very well trained fighters in an obvious style clash, the officiating tends to be at a grade C level because the scoring regulations are purposely designed to be subjective so they can be varied from fight to fight.

The core of modern scoring here with my (comments):

Clean punching: “Clean” punches are punches that land on the face/side of the head and the front/side of the torso. (Modern pro judges have moved to Olympic type tap-tap scoring where body punches are almost never counted, this fight being one of the few exceptions. Notice the blatant lack of direction regarding light tap tap punches verse booming, staggering shots.)

Effective aggressiveness: A boxer demonstrates this trait when he consistently and successfully moves forward in a controlled manner. (We’ve seen too many aggressive offensive onslaughts ignored by judges, the most blatant examples are Ponce de Leon and Paulie Malignaggi dominating Adrian Broner with punches and ring generalship yet losing the fight. Alvarez stayed in balance as he pressed whereas Lara often mixed teetering with his skeetering and almost never moved forward)

Ring generalship: The judges favor the fighter who controls the pace and style of the bout. (Judges in the criminal justice system and boxing actually favor wealthy defendants with high powered attorneys and big money fighters with big promoters. Always have and forever it shall be notable exceptions not withstanding. In this case I guess Lara claims he controlled the pace by running extra distance to make Canelo try to hunt him down)

Defense: Boxers that skillfully incorporate defensive maneuvers receive credit in this area.(Simply running is not is not the traditional defense of staying in the combat range as the fighter slipped, ducked, blocked and countered effectively, skillfully being another key word ignored. Twisting into a pretzel below the beltline is not skillful defense, it’s cowering much like flopping to the ground to buy time in the old bare knuckle days that London Prize Ring Rules corrected)

ha. Lara will not draw flies henceforth.

• 2 weeks later...

Wilder Eyes 32-0 in Warm-up Slaughter

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/c131bdc521d10e4d4fdc4232bc263ece_S.jpg

“It’s just a stay busy fight…”--Deontay Wilder “I think he’s just there to practice his ring walk”—poster named erics44 on BLH "If Deontay does not win this, then there is no Stiverne and there is no G.I. Joe with the Kung Fu grip for his daughters and there is no house on the lake and there is no college fund; there is no tuition being paid--" Wilder’s manager Jay Deas

More...

• 3 weeks later...

The Prince Belongs in the Hall

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/601fa91aa5b80e894c100b60799904f1_S.jpg

I think at one stage he was the most exciting fighter that I'd ever been involved with. At one stage, in the early part of his career, he could have gone on to become one of the great fighters. But that disappeared when he didn't fight as regularly as he should have done, when he was cutting corners on his training. It just didn't work out for him from that point on.” – Frank Warren] "I had hand trouble and could not take the power of my punch," Hamed said. "I needed cortisone injections to take away the pain when I fought, then after every fight the gloves would be whipped off and my hands would be as big as balloons." - Prince Naseem Hamed

More...

• 2 weeks later...

Part 1: Ted Sares Top Twenty-Five Pound-for-Pound Fighters (Since 1945)

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/cc2b8b4227b4054f0a163ca8827fd85e_S.jpg

My Top Twenty-Five Pound-for-Pound Fighters (Since 1945) First in a 5-Part series I have never seen a list of great boxers that is the “correct” list; there is no such thing. Attempts can be made to close the gap by quantification, but in the end, the entirely subjective nature of any list comparing fighters across different weight categories and different eras is bound to be the subject of heated debate. Nonetheless, many have had a go at it.

More...

Re: Part 1: Ted Sares Top Twenty-Five Pound-for-Pound Fighters (Since 1945)

My Top Twenty-Five Pound-for-Pound Fighters (Since 1945) First in a 5-Part series I have never seen a list of great boxers that is the “correct” list; there is no such thing. Attempts can be made to close the gap by quantification, but in the end, the entirely subjective nature of any list comparing fighters across different weight categories and different eras is bound to be the subject of heated debate. Nonetheless, many have had a go at it.

More...

--- Amen, Ted, there can never be a correct list for something so subjective, but nonetheless we can see some lists are better than others according to our own criteria.

At the end of the day, healthy debate can expand further understanding whereas others get their knockers into a twist with their knickers. I could never have Ali so high on my list, but many do and it's just the way it is. I note that you have Joe Louis ahead of Ali as I would agree to. As such I would like to think I did my small part in what appears to be a reevaluation of Ali after our voracious debates on the olde AOL forums where Ali floated in on a golden cloud to toy effortlessly over his befuddled competition before immaculately ascending completely untouched into the great Pantheon on his golden cloud. Unbelievably Joe was often held to be no more than an Uncle Tom with those folks, so I swung in with my best shots and learned a lot about human nature as well as expanded my range of boxing history thanks to the wide variety of opinions.

#6-25 still in the queue awaiting their moment to hit the hot grill. Kind of fond of Barbeque myself:smiley-signs107:

Part 2: Ted Sares Top Twenty-Five Pound-for-Pound Fighters (Since 1945)

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/d8f7a1bcdfcb6b2a92fd095fd1155da4_S.jpg

My Top Twenty-Five Pound-for-Pound Fighters (Since 1945) Second in a 5-Part series In Part One, the following were cited:1. Sugar Ray Robinson2. Willie Pep3. Joe Louis4. Eder Jofre5. Muhammad Ali Here are the next five:

More...

Re: Part 2: Ted Sares Top Twenty-Five Pound-for-Pound Fighters (Since 1945)

My Top Twenty-Five Pound-for-Pound Fighters (Since 1945) Second in a 5-Part series:

More...

--- I would point out that Duran with almost double the number of wins that Leonard would finish his career with won the first fight when it counted for bragging rights.

Next, I would point out that Salvador Sanchez compiled a better career record and title record in his 23 yrs on this planet than Leonard did for his entire career with his first title win at age 23. Sanchez did it without a big money TV contract or HOF trainer, and Olympic Gold medal promotion that beamed him into the biggest TV market at the time.

We all keep our own scorecards though and it takes a brave soul to bare his p4p greats to the world. No way I would attempt 25 unless someone was paying me!

Part 3: Ted Sares Top Twenty-Five Pound-for-Pound Fighters (Since 1945)

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/393f97d136be1105f83d4434d9225191_S.jpg

My Top Twenty-Five Pound-for-Pound Fighters (Since 1945) Third in a 5-Part Series In Parts One and two, the following were cited: 1. Sugar Ray Robinson2. Willie Pep3. Joe Louis4. Eder Jofre

More...

Part 5: Ted Sares Top Twenty-Five Pound-for-Pound Fighters (Since 1945)

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/b62846fd1ec54801f7a8228fe7b3cc52_S.jpg

My Top Twenty-Five Pound-for-Pound Fighters (Since 1945) Fifth in a 5-Part Series Here, then, are the final five: 21. Alexis Arguello: The Explosive Thin Man" (El Flaco Explosivo) used his height and reach to leverage the tremendous one-punch power he possessed in his right hand. He was able to impose his will on many of his opponents, often in their home country.

More...