Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: General Boxing (worth mentioning, not thread worthy)

Re: General Boxing (worth mentioning, not thread worthy)

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDevilRob View Post
    I didn't realise Ton lifted? ;)
    Damnit, I was just coming back to add a line saying "Jones, that is - not Ton"!

2014-06-14 Ruslan Provodnikov [won 23 (KO 16) + lost 2 (KO 0) + drawn 0 = 25] vs Chris Algieri [won 19 (KO 8) + lost 0 (KO 0) + drawn 0 = 19] for the WBO JWW strap. Anyone interested in this?

Algieri is unbeaten BUT I think his 0 is gonna go - what say you..............?

Yeah, I think Algieri is in for a tough night and don't see him making the final bell.

I think Algieri gives Provodnikov issues for a few rounds but comes undone in the middle of the bout. Chris is a decent boxer but I think he's perhaps a level behind Provonikov. Tidy fighter though.

2014-06-21 StubHub Center, Carson, California, USA. (Showtime)

Main Event: Robert Guerrero vs. Yoshihiro Kamegai, 12 rounds, welterweights;
    Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Gary Russell Jr., 12 rounds, for vacant WBO featherweight title;
    Devon Alexander vs. Jesus Soto Karass, 10 rounds, welterweights;
    Chad Dawson vs. George Blades, 10 rounds, light heavyweights;
    Vyacheslav Shabransky vs. TBA, 6 rounds, light heavyweights;
    Dominic Breazeale vs. Devin Vargas, 10 rounds, heavyweights;
    Sharif Bogere vs. Hector Velasquez, 8 rounds, lightweights;
    Michael Hunter vs. Jerry Forrest, 8 rounds, heavyweights;
    Jeffrey Fonanez vs. TBA, 6 rounds, lightweights;
    Fabian Maidana vs. TBA, 4 rounds, welterweights;
    Mark Anthony Hernandez vs. TBA, 4 rounds, junior middleweights

Now THAT'S an undercard.................

I actually wonder if Robert "Ghost" Guerrero could be in for a hard evening? Scott will know better, but this Kamegai fella (24(21)-1-1) can bang a bit with an 88.77% KO rate and has 21 out of 24 wins as KO's.

Devon Alexander who, at only 27, appears to have been around for donkeys years seems to be fairly evenly matched vs. Karass for me. Should be interesting, as both fighters are coming off losses. Karass, to hypeboy Thurman and Devon to hypeboy, Porter. Matthysse had Devon on his arse in their fight but he regrouped to get the split, he beat Maidana hands down and in very nearly the borefest of all time, beat Bailey. Then the up and comer Shawn Porter relieved him of his belt. Karass is very inconsistent, but has wins over Berto and Aydin to his credit.

The skillful (well I think so anyway) Gary Russell Jr finally gets a shot at a belt with a match-up vs. Lomo for the vacant WBO FW strap. Remember Lomo could have had this strap in only his 2nd pro fight due to Salido coming in overweight in March, but lost........

A full year has lapsed but Chad Dawson is finally back against 39 year old journeyman, George Blades [who got stopped By Pascal last September]. Shouldn't be anything but an easy comeback win for Chad here.........

Sharif Bogere (24(16)-1-0) is developing into an interesting fighter at LW. With just the one loss to Abril in a 12 rounder - which was a step up too soon anyway.

And Fabian Maidana (yes, younger brother) - makes his debut too. Hope this one is part of the ShoExtreme broadcast so we can get a look at him.

Boxrec links are included for anyone wishing to x-reference or research the fighters.

Last edited by selij; 06-14-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Kamagai has fought in the US before. He's big, strong, rugged and hard hitting... But very basic, slow, poor footwork. A sharp Guerrero schools him but having been out of the ring for a while this looks like it COULD be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by iamasadlittleboy View Post
    Kamagai has fought in the US before. He's big, strong, rugged and hard hitting... But very basic, slow, poor footwork. A sharp Guerrero schools him but having been out of the ring for a while this looks like it COULD be competitive.
    --- Be a better fight in each other's styles than Lomachenko vs Russell is.

I expect Russell to be running around like a chicken with his head cut off. The only questions are if Loma can catch him, and if he can't, who wins the decision? Russell and most esp Guerrero are the home fighters and most of the boxing community is against Loma exposing the cracks in their so called elite fighters.
    "I knew that Clay would have to move backwards and fight. All I had to do is fight." ..................Joe Frazier after the first Ali fight.

Brian ‘The Lion’ Rose (25-1-1) weighed in at 10st 13lbs 6oz for his world title challenge to undefeated WBO light middleweight champion Demetrius 'Boo Boo' Andrade (20-0), who was a tad closer to the 11 stone limit at 10st 13lbs 12oz.

On this day, 30 years ago 1984-06-15:

I today present a video of Thomas Hearns vs Roberto Duran. At Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, for Hearns' WBC JMW title. In 38 fights Duran had never been KO'd and had only ever been on his arse twice. Duran was coming off a loss to Marvin Hagler in a 15 round war for Hagler's WBC, WBA and IBF MW straps. Duran felt he would be more comfortable at JMW and stepped down.

The hype surrounding the fight was that Hearns thought the "indestructible" inside fighter Duran was vulnerable in the early rounds. The smart money had tagged onto a claim that in reality, Hearns was nursing a damaged hand and needed it over smartish. The commentators casually said "I think we are in for a couple of explosive rounds in rounds 1 and 2". Never in history were such casual words destined to become true as this event unfolded.

Hearns enters the ring to Bill Conti's "Gonna Fly Now"............if you've never seen it before have a look.

Last edited by selij; 06-15-2014 at 08:15 PM.

IBF/WBO Minimumweight unification was signed over the weekend between Katsunari Takayama (27-6-0-1, 10) and Francisco Rodriguez Jr (14-2, 10)

Katsunari Takayama signs for unification fight with Francisco Rodriguez Jr! - Asian Boxing

WOW!

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast