Brandon Rios fails drug test for Pacquiao bout

selij

Former WBA lightweight champion Brandon Rios (31-2-1, 23 KO’s) has reported tested positive for a banned substance following his one-sided 12 round unanimous decision loss to Manny Pacquiao (55-5-2, 38 KO’s) last month in Macao, China. According to RingTV, Rios tested positive for the drug methylexanamine, which is used as a dietary supplement. The drug showed up in Rios’ urine after the fight.

http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/gettyimages.com/mike-alvarado-vs-brandon-rios-20121012-154440-524.jpg

A drug like this could be used for a fighter to try and make weight if they’re having problems cutting weight. Rios reportedly struggled to get down to the 147 lb. limit after having put on a great deal of weight following his defeat against Mike Alvarado in March of this year. That fight took place at 140, but Rios rehydrated up to close to 160 after the weigh-in.

Read more...................

Source: Dan Ambrose

Re: Brandon Rios fails drug test for Pacquiao bout

Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

--- Makes plenty of sense if you understand Conte = VADA and Conte was fired by Rios and VADA did the screen.

Already Ariza is claiming irregularities when Rios had to pee into a hijacked drinking glass instead of a sterilized cup meant for these types of tests. As I have long maintained, this illicit drug testing cartels are as shady as the Mexican Mafia and can't pass their own tests much less provide a level playing field.

--- Makes plenty of sense if you understand Conte = VADA and Conte was fired by Rios and VADA did the screen.

Already Ariza is claiming irregularities when Rios had to pee into a hijacked drinking glass instead of a sterilized cup meant for these types of tests. As I have long maintained, this illicit drug testing cartels are as shady as the Mexican Mafia and can't pass their own tests much less provide a level playing field.

I think your probably right, but who do you believe out of the whole bunch. Conte's been convicted and let's face it, Ariza has a believability factor of about 2 on a scale of 10......MAYBE!

There's one simple answer ladies................and its ALWAYS been an option - BLOOD TEST. But the sport hasn't got the bollocks. Nuff said now shut the fuck up about piss tests. Unless you want the real truth. I don't think any of you [the boxing authorities] have got the bottle........................

Edited by selij

There's one simple answer ladies................and its ALWAYS been an option - BLOOD TEST. But the sport hasn't got the bollocks. Nuff said now shut the fuck up about piss tests. Unless you want the real truth. I don't think any of you [the boxing authorities] have got the bottle........................

--- USDA and VADA have always combined blood and urine tests in their multiple sampling from everything I've read.

That you somehow think blood tests would clear up boxing when they didn't do squat for cleaning up Olympic and pro bike athletes indicates a level of idealism that simply fails in any understanding of 10,000 years of world history. USDA can't even report on Floydy drug testing anymore. Toothless, shameless, and without a shred of honor that even the dirtiest athlete might have.

I think Enzo Mac got done for the same type of thing (dietary) in his case it was plausible - as he has been at Cruiserweight, his whole career, and was coming down when in his 30's. Enzo got a few months suspension.

Rios has had weigh issues in the past but for a fight of this magnitude you would expect him to not need any assistance - especially as he has fought at lower weights, for most of his career.

Question for Selij: Is he using this stuff as a masking agent for other PEDs?

I think your probably right, but who do you believe out of the whole bunch. Conte's been convicted and let's face it, Ariza has a believability factor of about 2 on a scale of 10......MAYBE!

--- When has Ariza ever been remotely connected in a cheating scandal until Rios?

Even that was a level 2 scandal compared to Golden Boy, Hayman, and Team Floydy not answering allegations of his positive tests, probably an 8 or 9 out of a level 10 like Hayman/Floydy fighter Mickey Bey's 30x testa level that netted him only a 6 month suspension. If ever a life ban would need to be applied, Bey's 30X result is it, yet just a slap on the wrist.

A weak word such as Pathetic does't do these boxing poohbahs and illicit drug testing cartel justice. There's a special place reserved for them after their days are gone methinks.....

--- When has Ariza ever been remotely connected in a cheating scandal until Rios?

Even that was a level 2 scandal compared to Golden Boy, Hayman, and Team Floydy not answering allegations of his positive tests, probably an 8 or 9 out of a level 10 like Hayman/Floydy fighter Mickey Bey's 30x testa level that netted him only a 6 month suspension. If ever a life ban would need to be applied, Bey's 30X result is it, yet just a slap on the wrist.

A weak word such as Pathetic does't do these boxing poohbahs and illicit drug testing cartel justice. There's a special place reserved for them after their days are gone methinks.....

Oh yeah, sorry about that, I forgot who I was talking to for a second. Yes, those "shakes" he was giving Manny were just supplements, Ariza has been much maligned and this a minor transgression, and I also guess there wasn't any roid rage flowing through this guy when he kicked a 54-year-old Trainer with Parkinsons. Alex is great, let's hope his reputation doesn't get besmirched here.

Far from it, it would expose the sport for what it is - laced with drug cheats.

--- The cheats wear suits and buy rankings, judges and refs, none of whom can pass a Armstrong/Olympic drug testing program much less a lie detector program much less your average politico.

VADA/USADA do use blood tests and have only exposed precious few blitheringly insipid trace elements or common diuretics of which coffee is classified. The biggest bust of the year was Mickey Bey by peepee for 30x T in conventional post fight Nevada drug test.

As stated, that you believe drug testing is the answer when it has been proven to be an abject failure speaks more to your tunnel vision limitations. If anything recent revelations have proven boxing is one of the cleaner sports around compared to pro golf, basketball, hockey, baseball, and most esp pro bike racing, international soccer, and NFL football.

Not surprised he has failed, he balloons inbetween fights, it has to put added pressure on him making weight!

Agreed, weight has ALWAYS been an issue with this guy, and probably always will be if he's undisciplined. What surprised me is the degree of the lack of discipline, the buying of the extra 12 pounds between Lightweight and Welterweight didn't gain him any clearance whatsoever.

Agreed, weight has ALWAYS been an issue with this guy, and probably always will be if he's undisciplined. What surprised me is the degree of the lack of discipline, the buying of the extra 12 pounds between Lightweight and Welterweight didn't gain him any clearance whatsoever.
I thought the same, seem MW could be coming sooner rather than later!