Abdusalamov Out of Coma!

gavpowell

I've been checking the news regularly to see how he's doing, and just stumbled on this ESPN article:

"The doctor told me he is out of the coma and awake and that he is aware of his surroundings, and they are moving him to a regular room [on Tuesday]," Lewkowicz said. "They said this is different than last time [he was taken out of the coma] because this time he's showing more improvement.

"...He's not able to speak but he's awake and aware of his surroundings even if he can't speak. His eyes are open.

Read moreat http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/265443.html#BpeIJTlmjLicogKc.99

• 8 months later...

Re: Abdusalamov Out of Coma!

Haven't seen anything more about Abdusalamov but I've been checking regularly for news and a while ago, there was some of the good stuff:

Attorney: Magomed Abdusalamov 'definitely improving' - Ring TV

the fighter’s attorney, Paul Edelstein informed RingTV.com...

e is doing better and he’s definitely improving. He’s more aware of what is going on but he’s not speaking and he’s not walking,” said Edelstein.“He can move. He moves his hands and he moves his head but he can’t walk. He can’t stand up. He definitely has an awareness of what is going on around him, but he can not speak.”

Excellent to know he's at least partly recovered, though this sadly contradicts an earlier third-party report that quotes Mago's wife saying he could speak, but only in a low voice.

Haven't seen anything more about Abdusalamov but I've been checking regularly for news and a while ago, there was some of the good stuff:

Attorney: Magomed Abdusalamov 'definitely improving' - Ring TV

Excellent to know he's at least partly recovered, though this sadly contradicts an earlier third-party report that quotes Mago's wife saying he could speak, but only in a low voice.

[/font][/color]

Best of wishes to Mago. Poor guy just wanted to please the fans and reach for his dreams, and I have nothing but respect. I hope his journey through recovery continues.

Thought of that even more when I was watching the Shafikov-Nugaev fight tonight. Corners need to take responsibility sometimes when their fighters are getting brutalized and the referee is "on the brink of stopping it" for 3-4 rounds but your guy just keeps returning fire. Rescue him.

Wtf?!? I thought he was already out of coma! Fucked up...well, at least he's out now.

He's been out of the coma since December, I just resurrected the old thread for the update rather than clutter the place with a new one.

Is it just me that would rather be dead than live a life dependent on others because of the seriousness of the brain damage?

I don't think I'd rather be dead than anything, but in Mago's case, he's progressing and at the time his neurologist said he expected him to recover.

Corners need to take responsibility sometimes when their fighters are getting brutalized and the referee is "on the brink of stopping it" for 3-4 rounds but your guy just keeps returning fire. Rescue him.

I agree - I never forgave Jim McDonnell for his disgraceful indifference during the Williams-Klitschko fight. Williams got battered to the canvas for about the fourth time and McDonnell just stood there looking on. This from a guy who was supposed to be his best friend.

on the other hand, look at the abuse directed at fighters when they give up - Ortiz got abuse from a lot of fans after the Maidana and Lopez withdrawals,and Freitas for walking away against Corrales and Diaz.

I agree - I never forgave Jim McDonnell for his disgraceful indifference during the Williams-Klitschko fight. Williams got battered to the canvas for about the fourth time and McDonnell just stood there looking on. This from a guy who was supposed to be his best friend.

on the other hand, look at the abuse directed at fighters when they give up - Ortiz got abuse from a lot of fans after the Maidana and Lopez withdrawals,and Freitas for walking away against Corrales and Diaz.

To me, a fighter's trainer and cornermen have a responsibility to their fighter. Many boxers won't quit if their body will allow them to fight on functionally. Most, except maybe the likes of Victor Ortiz, don't obey the signals their body gives them that they cannot continue. Obviously, a broken jaw is one thing, but many fighters push through pain like a hot knife through butter, because these guys have that will to carry on and it's simply in their nature.

Just as a corner is obligated to do strategic planning and giving instructions to their fighter during their fight, they need to make rational and impartial decisions to protect their guy... It's not about their dreams, it's about life or death, and maybe living to fight another day.

If they "won't forgive you", then so be it! That is part of the job description. Fighters are warriors, but, if someone doesn't step up and have their backs, they will suffer some harsh consequences. How many Magomed Abdulsalamovs do we need until this will become common sense?

Its the level of recovery gav!!

Yeah, but by "recover" he didn't mean "completely non-functional" - he said something to the effect that he expected Mago to come back, though obviously he'd suffer some impairment. I dunno, so long as my brain was still working, I'd want to be kept alive. But then I'm a coward.

Mago update

Hopefully, former heavyweight fighter Magomed Abdusalamov could be leaving Helen Hayes Hospital soon to continue rehab at home as he recovers from life threatening injuries suffered in his brutal bout with Mile Perez in November 2013. According to the following Bad Left Hook article by Ben Chan, Abdusalamov’s attorney spoke with RingTV.com:

“He is scheduled to hopefully get out of Helen Hayes this month and either into a home care system or an outpatient clinic,” said Edelstein. “We’re not really sure which one it’s going to be but he is hopefully getting out of Helen Hayes this month. We’re hoping to get him into a home environment whereby therapists can come to his home and treat him and he can make visits to doctors.

“The idea is to train his wife to care for him and home because he still can’t feed himself, dress himself or clean himself, walk or talk,” said Edelstein. “So you bring in the therapists for occupational and speech therapy, to some degree, like in this video where you see him hitting the balloon:

Those are the kinds of repetitive things that he needs to do and a lot of that can be accomplished in a home environment.”

The family of the brain-damaged Russian heavyweight boxer has filed a lawsuit against multiple parties — including five New York State Athletic Commission doctors — alleging recklessness, gross negligence and medical malpractice.

WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev reportedly is auctioning off autographed items from his August 2 stoppage of Blake Caparello. The proceeds from the auction will go to Abdusalamov’s family. In addition, Ring 10 of New York continues to accept donations that will go directly to Magomed and his family. http://ring10ny.com/ Many others have also come to Mago’s aid.

• 4 months later...

Magomed Abdusalamov in hospital

by William Weinbaum

Magomed Abdusalamov, a title contender before he suffered a devastating brain injury in late 2013, is in stable condition in a Connecticut hospital with blood and bone infections that his wife said doctors describe as "life-threatening."

On Dec. 31 the former boxer from the Russian Republic of Dagestan was hospitalized for the fourth time in as many weeks, Bakanay Abdusalamova said, this time for sepsis and osteomyelitis, as doctors also attempt to treat recurring pressure ulcers in his lower back. Abdusalamov, 33, is bedridden and recently endured lung and urinary tract infections and surgery on a lesion.

Abdusalamova told "Outside the Lines" through an interpreter that on New Year's Day two years ago her husband ran around a hospital shedding tears of boundless joy in celebration of the birth that day of their youngest daughter, Patimat. "We were the happiest family in the world," Abdusalamova said.

Abdusalamov's struggles for survival began after he entered the ring at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 2, 2013, for what would be a bloody, HBO-televised bout with fellow undefeated heavyweight Mike Perez. Abdusalamov lost a 10-round decision and hours later underwent emergency surgery to remove a blood clot in his brain. He suffered strokes, was in a coma for weeks, spent 10 months in the hospital and left paralyzed on one side, unable to walk or to talk.

"Before this happened we were more than husband and wife, everything was perfect," Abdusalamova said as she fought off tears. "Now the children (Patimat and her two sisters, Shakhrizat, 8, and Saygibat, 5) always ask when he will be back to who he was and I hold out hope 'Mago' will at least be able to speak again and smile some more."

During the fight Abdusalamov suffered broken bones in his face and hand and a laceration above his eye that required suturing. His handlers said he was vomiting and unsteady as they tried to take him by taxi to an emergency room, after state athletic commission doctors neither summoned an on-site ambulance nor advised him to go to the hospital that night.

The New York State Inspector General announced within a week that it was starting an investigation. Fourteen months later, according to a spokesman, that probe is ongoing.

Abdusalamov's family sued the New York State Athletic Commission's five doctors, referee and inspector who handled the fight, as well as the Garden and K2 Promotions, the bout's lead promoter, alleging negligence and medical malpractice during and after the fight with Perez.

The Abdusalamov family's attorney, Paul Edelstein, told "Outside the Lines" he has not yet received Madison Square Garden surveillance footage, which could show signs of Abdusalamov's dangerous condition when he left the arena.

A February court date has been set on the Garden's motion to dismiss it as a defendant, Edelstein said.

In court papers filed in December he enumerated medical bills for Abdusalamov totaling $1.7 million through one year. And Edelstein said the developments of the past five weeks have been "a tremendous setback to his condition."

"Before last month," said Abdusalamova, "it seemed we were done with hospitals and focused on rehabilitation, but since he developed the infections he hasn't been alert or able to communicate and it's so agonizing that all of his progress stopped with these recent struggles."

As for her countless hours at the hospital with her three daughters and family friend Amin Suleymanov, she said, "It's hard to go through it emotionally when the doctors explain things and it's very frightening and shocking to think about what Mago is going through.

"But we always try to stay positive," the devout Muslim added. "We pray and hope for the best, as this is Mago, after all, and he is always a fighter."

Source: ESPN