Best Slugfest Ever?

davemurphy

For me, it'll always be Foreman-Lyle, just because the shots were so damn hard and there were at least twice that you thought the fight simply had to be over, nobody could get up from that, but they do....except for the last one Foreman landed.

Hagler-Hearns was wild for the first two minutes, but then the smoke started to clear and Hagler began backing Tommy up (plus Tommy hurt his hand), so I didn't think that one was quite as impressive.

Hamed-Kelley there were a lot of knockdowns, but it was a lot of off-balance and flash knockdowns, the guys were up within a few seconds, not totally stunned like with Foreman-Lyle.

Can you guys think of other great Slugfests and how do they stack up with my choice of Foreman-Lyle?

Re: Best Slugfest Ever?

Can you guys think of other great Slugfests and how do they stack up with my choice of Foreman-Lyle?

--- Well, Dempsey/Firpo used to be the standard, and it's still pretty solid.

Shavers/Cobb was a classic, Shavers being in a number of notable slugfests. The Ingo/Patterson trilogy was damn noteworthy in slug consistency, Gatti/Ward I.

Maybe the alltime best was Joe Jeannette and Sam McVea in France, too many KDs to count over 49 Rds lost by KO by Sam.

Not the best but Mancini v Frias is always worth a watch as is Meza v Garza. Neither lasted long enough to be great but my god what savagery!

Not a flat out slug fest but Monshipour v Sithchatchawal needs a mention too.

It's great that we've had a bunch this year. Miura v Thompson was nothing short of 2 men beating the ever loving out of each other, shame more people haven't seen that one.

All great suggestions. Others that came to mind that are obvious candidates are Corrales-Castillo 1, although that was more of a dramatic turnaround KOthan true slugfest IMO, Deigo was getting the worst of it most of the way. Also, the Second and Third Rafael Marquez-Israel Vazquez fights. In fact, another good topic would be Slugfests That Ended Up Going the Distance and the first two I'd name would be Rafael Marquez-Israel Vazquez 3 and Bobby Chacon-Rafael "Bazooka" Limon 4. Great stuff, Guys!

Definitely agree with Foreman-Lyle. Fantastic fight. Benn-McLellan too for me was an all-time great, back and forth war.

I think Benn-McClellan would get a lot more mention if it hadn't ended in tragedy. I remember when Ring Magazine made it Fight of the Year, they got a lot of flack.

Hearns vs Hagler is for my money, the best slugfest ever, despite how long it lasted.

EDIT: JKust rewatched Foreman vs Lyle - right enough it is an absolute classic.

Another couple - Tua vs Ibeabuchi, Castillo vs Corrales I, Tapia vs Kirkland, Katsidis vs Earl, Angulo vs Lara...I

Actually think Tua vs Ibeabuchi may have been my favourite....it was missing the big finish, but it was hell for leather all the way from both men...

Edited by brooklynbrawler