Who would win a fight between Gatti and Hatton?

BoztheMadman

Who would win a fight between Gatti and Hatton?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win a fight between Gatti and Hatton?

• Gatti
    • Hatton
    • Too hard to call

Thats what I've been wondering about for quite a while. Now we can only wonder and ponder, since there is no chance of it happening. Gatti hit harder and was fast but Ricky was pretty fast himself and had excellent stamina and didn't cut up as easily. If Ricky managed to cut him up badly enough and worked to the body, I can see him getting a stoppage win somehow but I think Arturo just had too much firepower to lose this fight in any other way.

Re: Who would win a fight between Gatti and Hatton?

I like Hatton easy. Gatti made his reputation by beating up on much smaller guys in the 130 pound division with his ability to starve himself, he lost something everytime he moved up in weight, and if they'd have met at 140, and ESPECIALLY at 147, Hatton would've eaten him up on the inside. You look at the struggles with Mickey Ward, who with all respect to Mickey was kind of a glorified ESPN fighter, and then try and picture it being Ricky and I think the answer is clear. Look at the two against Mayweather, and ask yourself who was competitive and who wasn't? It's a pretty clear argument for Hatton IMO. Who among us thinks Arturo Gatti would've beaten Kostya Tsyzu? Yeah, I didn't think so.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Hatton easy. Gatti made his reputation by beating up on much smaller guys in the 130 pound division with his ability to starve himself, he lost something everytime he moved up in weight, and if they'd have met at 140, and ESPECIALLY at 147, Hatton would've eaten him up on the inside. You look at the struggles with Mickey Ward, who with all respect to Mickey was kind of a glorified ESPN fighter, and then try and picture it being Ricky and I think the answer is clear. Look at the two against Mayweather, and ask yourself who was competitive and who wasn't? It's a pretty clear argument for Hatton IMO. Who among us thinks Arturo Gatti would've beaten Kostya Tsyzu? Yeah, I didn't think so.

I disagree strongly, I think Arturo was a very good fighter and had talent clearly. But as you know, he'd always get cut and swell up easily-it seems although he liked to mix it up, his face was very against it, lol! I think Hatton was a bit faster maybe on his feet but he lacked that big punch that Arturo had, plus he didn't fight as well going backwards and trust me-against Gatti he'd be forced to sooner or later! I think if Arturo managed to land enough hard leather on him, then he'd win a stoppage, esp if he didn't force the fight early and was patient and tried to catch Ricky flush, then he'd earn a stoppage by the 7th or 8th.

I disagree strongly, I think Arturo was a very good fighter and had talent clearly. But as you know, he'd always get cut and swell up easily-it seems although he liked to mix it up, his face was very against it, lol! I think Hatton was a bit faster maybe on his feet but he lacked that big punch that Arturo had, plus he didn't fight as well going backwards and trust me-against Gatti he'd be forced to sooner or later! I think if Arturo managed to land enough hard leather on him, then he'd win a stoppage, esp if he didn't force the fight early and was patient and tried to catch Ricky flush, then he'd earn a stoppage by the 7th or 8th.

Yeah, Arturo had some talent, in fact Pernell Whitaker (when they were both with Main Events/the Duvas) used to brag that Arturo was a better pure boxer than he was a slugger/warrior, and we saw some of that boxing skill as he prolonged his career, but we really disagree on his ability to stop Ricky. It took Mayweather 10 rounds to get him out of there, I just don't see how Gatti could do it in 7 or 8. But hey, we have no way of knowing for sure, stranger things have happened.

Yeah, Arturo had some talent, in fact Pernell Whitaker (when they were both with Main Events/the Duvas) used to brag that Arturo was a better pure boxer than he was a slugger/warrior, and we saw some of that boxing skill as he prolonged his career, but we really disagree on his ability to stop Ricky. It took Mayweather 10 rounds to get him out of there, I just don't see how Gatti could do it in 7 or 8. But hey, we have no way of knowing for sure, stranger things have happened.

But Mayweather could never hit as hard as Gatti...or do you mean it skill-wise? That it would take a lot skill to dispatch Ricky? Not sure I agree...look how easy Manny did it.

But Mayweather could never hit as hard as Gatti...or do you mean it skill-wise? That it would take a lot skill to dispatch Ricky? Not sure I agree...look how easy Manny did it.

Yeah, but Manny was the only one to do it easy and there's at least some question as to what Ricky really had left at that point, I thought a lot of it was a case of his constant up-and-down in weight and his inactivity/nonchalance about his career kind of catching up to him. I still would question that Gatti hit any harder than Mayweather, I think Arturo's power showed itself more when he was beating on guys considerably smaller, his knockouts kind of stopped when he stopped "shrinking down" and fighting guys like Gamache where he had a huge size advantage.

Yeah, but Manny was the only one to do it easy and there's at least some question as to what Ricky really had left at that point, I thought a lot of it was a case of his constant up-and-down in weight and his inactivity/nonchalance about his career kind of catching up to him. I still would question that Gatti hit any harder than Mayweather, I think Arturo's power showed itself more when he was beating on guys considerably smaller, his knockouts kind of stopped when he stopped "shrinking down" and fighting guys like Gamache where he had a huge size advantage.

Cmon! Arturo hurt DLH, a PRIME DLH with single punches-did Floyd ever do that, against past prime DLH? Nope.

Cmon! Arturo hurt DLH, a PRIME DLH with single punches-did Floyd ever do that, against past prime DLH? Nope.

Boz-

I don't remember Gatti hurting Oscar at all, but then I haven't seen that fight in several years.

Boz-

I don't remember Gatti hurting Oscar at all, but then I haven't seen that fight in several years.

Dave-then I suggest you see it-pronto! Its a very good fight and Gatti stood his ground, but unfortunately it was too early for him to try himself against a natural welterweight...one might say he never grew into that weight comfortably. But it was good while it lasted and he def DID hurt Oscar, tho not seriously. But only because he took more shots than he gave.